Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
S.S. Tramp

1978 25' Tradewind
Yosemite National Park , California
OTR: Main Hold Tank 911?!

Hey Everyone!

It's the first time to dump my tank and I'm hoping this (pic attached)isn't a problem? I see the latch you need to pull outward (though it has threads for moving clockwise and counterclockwise- doesn't seem to pull easily?) but I don't see the thing you have to pull up to dump? Plus there is that square section that has been cut out that appears as if someone were working on this?? It isn't dumping??? Uh oh!

Yesterday my panel indicated my main tank was half full... but last night I heard "drip drip drip" and there was a little water leaking INSIDE the bathroom. I turned off the main water (just in case) and crossed my fingers.

I'm in the middle of nowhere, had to drive to get slow internet to post this. While posting this my dog I just adopted, 2 days ago, chewed my computer charging cord! Until I can make the trek to the big city I will extremely limited in responding... at 33% now! Gah!

Any suggestions regarding my main tank valve would be greatly appreciated.

31% and logging out!

Cheers,

Michelle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main holding tank valve.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	201024  
ibvegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Not sure what you have....
Are you frozen. As in ice cube?
Are you stopped up? As in a big clump of TP or Pete?

Where is your outlet? Depending on the year it can be in the rear frame/bumper or in newer years directly next to the dump valve handles. Looks like this is where yours ought to be. What is the big hole for in your photo?

The sounds of dripping is not good....good to not add anything else.
If the handle does not move freely it could be lots of things.
Shoot some silicone spray on the shaft of the valve handle and gently massage in and out. Maybe just maybe it will move better. When you look in that hole what do you see?
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Looking closer it appears you have your sewer exiting your coach via the rear bumper and frame. It would appear the plumbing has been removed and or (or not) relocated.

It appears the big round 3" hole that goes through the rear frame rail is patched over with sheet metal.

I hate to send bad energy your way but I think you have a nightmare in your hands. Was this used as a park model in its former life? See any rogue pipes elsewhere underneath?
Old 12-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It appears that a PO used an eye bolt for the handle. And that he cut a hole to gain access to the slide valve to install the "new" handle.
My coach is a '74. The connection for the sewer hose is just in front of the rear bumper on the street side.
Does the " handle" slide in and out? Or is it stuck?
I was able to free mine up after tapping on the handle LIGHTLY then GENTLY pulling on it. It took some doing, but eventually it started to move slightly. As I repeated the operation it would move a little bit more. Eventually I got it to slide back and forth for the full stroke. It only moves about 2 1/2" inches in and out between fully closed and fully opened.
Can you look in the hole that is cut out and tell us what you see. If your coach is a rear bath similar to mine. You will see the slide valve connects really close to the tank outlet.
On mine, the waste pipe makes 2 ninety degree turns before it exits the side of the trunk.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
If you look at her photo... there is a sheet metal patch over the hole in the frame where the Thetford discharge fitting should be on this vintage coach..
. Correct? I think there is something missing?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Hard to see on my iPod. Not sure where the toilet is located on this coach. Is the BW holding tank above the floor. My coach has the label on the trunk lid. Not inside like this.
One should be able to tell if there is a slide valve to which the handle is attached.
Where is the GW tank dump valve located?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
No more advice from me as my coach is much different.

My question is where is the outlet? I still think it is missing!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Do you have a dump hose connected to the outlet and to a dump station or sewer inlet. It looks to me like you should just pull outward on the eyebolt that has been put in as a handle.
Before I did that I would take a flashlight and look through the hole. There should be a flat dump valve near the tank, a connecting pipe, and an outlet for a sewer hose. The eyebolt handle should be connected via a rod to the dump valve. The dump valve can be pretty hard to pull. I do not think the threads mean much. I think a PO replaced the original handle with a eyebolt.
It looks like you have only a main tank. Is there a separate gray water tank? Does it drain through a separate outlet?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote