Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Question Only # 10 in the 2007 Darwin Awards????

I recieved this in an e-mail today and this was listed as # 10.
Can not understand why it did not make at least #2...

#10. When a man attempted to siphon gas out of a motor home parked on a Seattle, Wa. street, he got much more than he bargained for. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up on the ground next to the motor home near spilled sewage. A police spoksman said the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline and had plugged his syphon hose into the sewage tank by mistake.
The owner declined to press charges saying it was the best laugh he'd ever had...

Keep on shining,

Claude

catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Maybe he was on the way to this party?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dope 101.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	52803  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Ewwwwwww.

Time for lunch, but don't think I can eat right now.

Steve
Old 01-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Ewwwwwww.

Time for lunch, but don't think I can eat right now.

Steve
Maybe you need some activity to work up an appetite? You could join these guys - ditch surfing?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I guess that would make them "Sons of Ditches"

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I have a headache trying to comprehend

Uh, The picture of the guys in the pool? They appear to be swimming with live electric current. Am I seeing that right or did my computer mess up the image? This is one of those moments where the brain has trouble putting the pieces together.

On another note, I cant help it, The Seattle Rv Owner... was the black tank near full? Did the crook get a full dose under pressure? I bet there are others who wanted to ask that question.

Seriously, in the Airstream, you get the little red light in the black water column on the meter.

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I think this guy should get the #1 spot. It's so stupid, I think it might be a fake. You may also have to type it into you browser as i couldn't get the link to come up the first time. www.Youtubemacutsoffthumbontablesaw. Not for the faint of heart.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Trying to steal gas from a Rv... well, he hopefully learned his lesson! I imagine to win the #1 Darwin spot one has to effectively "leave this earth" so that the gene pool can no longer be affected...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis from the Great State of Jefferson

P.S. Janet ~ the pic of those guys with the electricity in the pool.... I bet they will make the Darwin Awards soon...
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Funny as it is (and I have my own little stories about this kind of stuff), snopes.com says it is highly unlikely the story is real. Sorry.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Most of these things are fakes. Think about it folks "plugged his siphon hose into the sewage tank". How would he do that? Open the drain valve and try to put the hose in while the tank empties in front of him? And I don't buy the photo either.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Now, story A:
I was having a problem with my LTD using a lot of gas when it was parked overnight. This was back in the late 1970's when gas first spiked over $1/gallon. I got an inspiration, and borrowed my neighbor's electric fence module (he was a dairy farmer), and attached it to the car. About 1 am, I heard a strangled scream, but by the time I got some clothes on and got outside, the screamer was gone. The gas flap was open. When they grabbed the steel cap, the fencer charged, giving them the shock of their life. They left me an empty 5 gallon gas can and a hose, though.
This was probably not a good deterrent, as they could have blown themselves up if the fencer had charged when they had a mouthful of gas...

Story B:
In the late 1980's I had a diesel car. It looked just like a regular car, and if it was dark, you wouldn't be able to see the "diesel" badges. I filled it up and parked it, and when i came out the next morning, it was almost empty. I'm pretty sure I know who did it, though, because a car was broken down a block away along the street...

Story C:
A year ago last October, I filled up our diesel pickup, and parked it for the day while I rode my scooter to work. The next morning when I drove away in the truck, I noticed one of the tanks was empty. The neighbor across the street suddenly had problems getting his truck started, and when he finally did, it knocked, smoked, and barely ran. I drove real slow by his house with my truck, the diesel engine plainly audible, with a big smirk on my face...
Old 01-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Terry,
I like the way you think!!
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
To see why he is only #10 do a search on the web for the Darwin Awards and read the others. You will soon see he is just a contender.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
A few months ago in Chanler AZ the high school football star was siphoning gas with a shop wet vac.BIG BOOM followed by hospital time.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini
A few months ago in Chanler AZ the high school football star was siphoning gas with a shop wet vac.BIG BOOM followed by hospital time.
I've always said, if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough...
Old 01-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Now most of us enjoy wine now and then...

Thanks for the Darwin story.... it has been awhile since I have looked at the site or thought about them. Always funny, whether true or not... I surfed around the site and found this one about a wine bottle... just thought I might share it. (I am clueless if the "science" is correct... but there are times when we are sure it is "good" for us! )

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson:

(22 April 2004, Georgia) At a Cave Springs "convenience dump" where local residents could drop off waste for later delivery to the main county dump, monitors were paid to ensure that residents deposited only allowed waste. One keen-eyed inspector noticed a bottle in the trash compactor that looked suspiciously like homemade wine. He fished the bottle out of the compactor. At this point you may be thinking this is a "man crushed by compactor" story--but no!

After safely retrieving the bottle, the gentleman in question and another local man proceeded to drink the "wine". Apparently, neither of them took a clue from the fact that the bottle had been thrown away in a dump, leading to the reasonable conclusion that its contents were undrinkable. This particular vintage was antifreeze. Both men were poisoned, and one died.

Ironically, if the men had actually been drinking wine along with their antifreeze, both might have lived. Ethanol is sometimes used in hospitals to counteract the deadly effects of antifreeze poisoning. Antifreeze is not toxic until the ethylene glycol is converted to oxalic acid, which crystallizes and damages the kidneys. Since the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase is the first step in forming oxalic acid, the reaction is inhibited by administering a dose of ethanol, which competes for the enzyme."
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote