Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Older 13 Gallon Blacktank challenges

If we stay at a campground that doesn't have sewer, we cap the black tank and then go over to the dump station.

When I go to unscrew the cap, there's always a few quarts of unpleasant liquid. I think this is my greywater that sits in the "Y" valve. It sits in there and only after a few quarts of fill does it enter the black tank.

I'd like to hand this a little cleaner than I am currently. Does anyone have a solution for this?

I did start using a sewer solution, which is a bit nicer than the standard hose, but it doesn't help the situation i mention above.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I am not sure what your situation or question is. Would hooking up to a "blue boy" help. Do you have a grey tank or only a black tank. How old is your Airstream?
Old 06-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We have a shallow wide bucket we put under the valve when we uncap it to catch that little bit of grey water which always seems to get shook out on the trip to the dump station. We also wear rubber gloves, so getting it on the hands isn't a big deal. When we're done dumping we rinse the little bucket out. No big deal.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
When you say you "cap the black tank," I assume what you mean is that you have a trailer that was built pre-grey tank, and so when you have no sewer connection, you put a cap over the main outlet and open the dump valve so that grey water will then "back up" into the grey tank, providing you with some grey water storage (mixed with black water). When you get ready to dump, you close the black tank valve, and remove the cap, and you basically get a volume equal to your grey water plumbing that is grey and black water (so extra nasty) which spooges out onto the ground, over your shoes, etc.. Is this correct?

If so, then the most common solution would be to connect your trailer to a portable tank typically refered to as a "Blue Boy." This would allow you to keep your black water tank closed, and the grey water will just flow past the dump valve and into the Blue Boy. Then you drag the Blue Boy to the dump station when it gets full of grey water. The best solution would be to install grey water tanks, but this requires major surgery.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The solution to the presenting problem is to put an extra valve in place of the cap.

There is one made for the purpose, the Valterra T58.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I had that Valterra relacement for my end cap as more than once it snapped off the tiny plastic strip holding it on and fell off on the I-5 somewhere...lol. Last year I finally bought a portable masceator but have set up on my rig where I can just leave it installed permanently. After I saw one on my friends new B class I went and bought one the next day. I've also tried my best to make mine as nice as my parent's Newell. I added a paper tower holder and glove dispenser. Now even if my stinky slinky acts up my hands are in the clear.
Long story short, mascerators are awesome on RVs. I've always had one on my boat's pump out head but since RVs are gravity fed I didn't see the point. Now I do.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS View Post
I had that Valterra relacement for my end cap as more than once it snapped off the tiny plastic strip holding it on and fell off on the I-5 somewhere...lol. Last year I finally bought a portable masceator but have set up on my rig where I can just leave it installed permanently. After I saw one on my friends new B class I went and bought one the next day. I've also tried my best to make mine as nice as my parent's Newell. I added a paper tower holder and glove dispenser. Now even if my stinky slinky acts up my hands are in the clear.
Long story short, mascerators are awesome on RVs. I've always had one on my boat's pump out head but since RVs are gravity fed I didn't see the point. Now I do.

I have a sewer solution, which worked great. Used it the first time last weekend. It's does what the macerator does without the power. You just need a freshwater source with decent pressure.

I think I just thought of a solution for my original problem. I'll just bag the cap with a small black plastic bag (new no holes) and should handle the grey/black water mix in the plumbing. This will catch the quart of nasty water before I can drain from the valve.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I use the sewer solution as well but when I close up the tank dump valve I rotate the nozzle so I rinse out the area between the cap and the valve doors so I don't have that problem later.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

At first……..

I thought the Valterra twist on valve was the best thing since sliced bread. Then I considered how much grey water is produced by a shower, and the outcome if you accumulate more than 13 gallons of grey/black water waste.

The Blue Tank seems like a better option.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There are a few threads discussing the merits ond dangers of a mixed grey/black water system. I would discourage it based on the fact that all of your grey water plumbing under the floor is going to get contaminated with blackwater, and in the event that you fill that tank up, your first hint will be that you have some nasty stuff swimming around in your shower pan (or overflowing your shower pan).
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Even just having the grey water back up into the shower is NASTY - done it too many times. I sure wouldn't want it mixed with black.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The old AS I had just had the gray flow straight out with no connection to the black system. I think it had its own valve but no tank. Been awhile.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Hereford , Arizona
I had the same issue with my 72 Safari and I installed the second valve. Works great since older trailers like mine do not have a grey tank.
BScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:47 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
Hi All,
Great info here.
I am doing my "new to me" 67 22ft Safari over and noticed that the grey water drains in front of the valve for the black water tank??? If hooked up to a sewer, I can just let the black water valve open and both the grey and black water will flow into the sewer. What if I am not hooked up? Was this when grey water was allowed to be dumped on the ground?
I did get a blue boy with the trailer, now I know why. Is it ok to dump both into the blue boy, or just the grey water?
Thanks for all your comments....the more I know, the more I know!
kenwadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
Sorry, did I hijack this thread???
kenwadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwadude View Post
Sorry, did I hijack this thread???
I'll leave the hijacking decision up to the OP.

For your original question. Yep! In 67 it was dump the grey wherever. Until the EPA got involved in the early 70s.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote