Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Oh no....I think I screwed up!

I thought this little side project was going too well.....I think I got the wrong discharge valves for my tanks. The old ones were two pieces. The new ones are one piece. The problem is, the end that should go into the tank is the same size as the hole that is in the tank. Can I use a reducer there? The side of the valve that faces out of the tank is actually the size that should be in the tank. Would it matter which way I put the valve? I'm just afraid that things won't fit back in the same way they came out. I can't return the valves, because my son took off the handles & drilled holes in the pull rods so I could put the extensions on them later. It didn't occur to me to check the size until I was dry fitting everything.
HELP!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02819.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	97943   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02821.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	97944  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02823.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	97945   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02824.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	97946  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Becky, unscrew the screws that hold the pieces together, and use the old pieces to connect back to the tank. Also, when you have it apart, you can swap the pull rods with the ones that are already drilled.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I ran into this problem on my 69' Andy at Inland Rv had the right valve. i couldn't find the old one anywhere. It looked like the one you have...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
The old pieces that were connected to the tank broke apart when I pried them off the tank. There wasn't anything salvagable from them. I tossed the parts that were on the tank since they were in pieces.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I ran into this problem on my 69' Andy at Inland Rv had the right valve. i couldn't find the old one anywhere. It looked like the one you have...
I called over there & they told me to look at their website for the proper one. They didn't have the same one that was on my trailer, but they had the same one that I got at a different place.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
pried off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
The old pieces that were connected to the tank broke apart when I pried them off the tank. There wasn't anything salvagable from them. I tossed the parts that were on the tank since they were in pieces.
I think you need the adapters that go onto the tank outlet. They are held in place with a hose clamp, and the valve is hald onto them by 4 screws. Yours may have been white, most newer ones are black.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I think you need the adapters that go onto the tank outlet. They are held in place with a hose clamp, and the valve is hald onto them by 4 screws. Yours may have been white, most newer ones are black.
So would that mean that I would only use one half of the valve I have? Where would you suggest I look for the adapter? I got the valve at Vintage Trailers.

The old tank outlet was held in place with a hose clamp & the valve was held on by 4 screws. I pried it off because it was also held on by some sort of caulk (it was still rubbery). The fitting was already cracked & brittle before I pried it off!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
So would that mean that I would only use one half of the valve I have? Where would you suggest I look for the adapter? I got the valve at Vintage Trailers.

The old tank outlet was held in place with a hose clamp & the valve was held on by 4 screws. I pried it off because it was also held on by some sort of caulk (it was still rubbery). The fitting was already cracked & brittle before I pried it off!
That's the part you're going to need to put the valves back on. You can check Vintage Trailer Supply, Out Of Doors Mart, or almost any Airstream dealer for them.