Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Odor on the outside of our overlander

So we were out for about 10 days and noticed after about 3 days, using the black tank in our 70 Overlander, that we could smell what we thought was urin outside the AS. We only smelled it on the side with the door just behind the axles-same side as our vent. I could not find any visible leaks from the tank or dump valve and we could not smell anything anywhere else. We were in an extreme high heat situation and we smelled it at our second camping spot even after dumping the tank before heading out on the road. Any ideas for what could cause this woul dbe greatly appreciated. I guess we were saved by not having this smell inside

Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Maybe a cat sprayed your tires.....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
That would certainly be one of the easier things to deal with but it really didn't smell like a cat spraying-big difference between human and cat smells and unfortunately I've had some experience with both!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Have you put in a tank deodorant?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayandre View Post
That would certainly be one of the easier things to deal with but it really didn't smell like a cat spraying-big difference between human and cat smells and unfortunately I've had some experience with both!
...but of course we shouldn't forget that most men regard the planet as their private urinal. And why they choose a car's tires as a good spot?

Power spray the area, and wait to see if the smell comes back.

Paula
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Yes, we did have the proper black tank treatment and I don't believe anyone went to the bathroom on our tires-we were camped at the end of an Army Corps campground with no immediate neighbors for a few days and my tires were clean. I'm just wondering if a leak in the black tank could be possbile but not necessarily visible with the underbelly in tact?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Are you plugged into shore power?, could it be an overcharging problem?

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
The way I see it...

In your Overlander I believe the plumbing is way over on the other side and in the rear....away from the door side behind the wheel well. If I were you I would look for an ammonia leak around the refrigerator vents...ammonia is present if you have a cooling unit going bad.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
The black tank could be leaking some of it's contents into the metal pan that the tank sits in, soaking the hard foam padding inside that pan, and possibly escaping through the corroded pan into your fiberglass insulation in the rig's belly. Unless you've dropped the belly pan/tank during renovation work, you really don't know what you've got back there except a 41 year old sewage system. Hopefully, the smell is from something else a lot easier to deal with. Good luck! -tim
Old 07-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Just a WAG...did you have a campfire? Some species of wood have a urine odor when burning.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I know it's not an overcharging issue witht eh converter because we don't have a battery hooked up currently-I kow that's a whole other discussion! We didn't have a campfire and even if we did I've burned about everything on the planet at one time or another and I've never burned anything that smells just like old human urine-although there are some that can come close-no animals. I'm more inclined to think it could be some kind of leak from the tank into the insulation that I can't see-it's just a little odd that i could only smell it on the passengers door side of the trailer. I'll check my schematics for the exact tank location and plumbing but I really don't want to have to drop the pan and get into all of that-however-I will if I have to. It was a bit surprising since we hadn't smelled anything on our maiden trip to a local state park. Maybe the tank has a leak on the top of it when it gets almost full...hmm.