Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

asheville , North Carolina
No fuss flush black tank rinsing system"

Can anyone explain what an Airstream "No fuss flush black tank rinsing system" is and how it works. If it is worth having can it be installed after the trailer is purchased?

Thanks,

Kimberly
lloydnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The no fuss is a sprayer inside the black tank that you connect to an outside water source from a connection on the exterior of the RV. We have it and I have to say, having never had one, this is pretty great feature.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
J.W.L.

2004 25' International CCD
Green Valley , Arizona
Black Tank Flushing System

The flushing system on our 25' CCD worked just fine until the vacuum breaker got stuck and flooded the rear of the trailer with water. It was repaired by our local dealer under warrenty. Actually, two of the replacement breakers sent by the factory were also defective, but the system works fine with the third one installed.
c.j.
Jerry Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydnc
can it be installed after the trailer is purchased?
Yes. It CAN be installed after, but according to the factory, this requires quite a bit of "surgery" since at a minimum, you have to remove the belly pan.

If you want the feature, I'd suggest getting before rather than after.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Kimberley:

The No Fuss Flush sells for $20.69 at CAMPING WORLD. It is very well illustrated and explained in their catalog, maybe on their web site too.

If you are rebuilding a trailer, as I am now, it is easy to do. We’ve just done that.

I imagine that if you are starting out solely to install the No Fuss it will be quiet a different matter. At a minimum, you’ll have to remove some of the belly pan.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:13 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi kimberly

ever drained a black tank? ever rinsed one out?

if you are ordering a trailer.......order it with the btf.....

if you are buying off the lot.....skip it for now......

unless your tank enzyme proceedure is perfected....so that all contents liquify.....you will from time to time need to rinse out the black tank....breaking up chunks of t.p. or other things......

this is easily done with a hose down the port hole.....turn on the water.....emtpy the tank....repeat as needed.....

rv stores even sell a nozzle for the hose that sprays at a right angle to the the tank walls......

the btf is a nice built in, but they do fail/leak/break....and so on......so using a hose from the top may still be needed...fixing 'em isn't easy....

will this be your first black tank.....fun.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
That is about the only option we wish we had added to our new Safari. We were new at the time & didn't really understand it's function until after a few trips. Now we make do with a hose & shut-off valve with 2 feet of old hose to place in the toilet to help flush the black tank. The cost to add this now has been estimated at $500 to $800.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Here's another "no fuss" option

After dumping and rinsing my black tank, I've found it helpful to add a couple of gallons of water in the tank along with a tray of ice cubes. Typically after dumping, I have to drive for a while before I return home, so the agitation of the water/ice cubes help to dislodge and break up any solidifed matter on the sides of the tank.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #9

1993 29' Excella
Wasaga Beach , Ontario
Question black tank clean out

what volume of 'ice cubes' have you used to have satisfactory results in dislodging/breaking up the 'stuff' in there?
Airbusdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbusdave View Post
what volume of 'ice cubes' have you used to have satisfactory results in dislodging/breaking up the 'stuff' in there?
My personal thought; others may disagree… The more ice, the better, up to a 50/50 ice/water mix. The more ice cubes, the longer the ice lasts before melting completely, and the more scrubbing action you'll get.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The black tank sprayer on my Safari has become plugged and hooking it up to water or compressed air has not helped. They are basically not accessible unless you star ripping up the flloor. I got one of the black tank flushers that attaches between the slinky and the drain fitting. This allows you to back wash both black and gray tanks or refill the black much faster and effectively than the little spray head.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #12

1993 29' Excella
Wasaga Beach , Ontario
black/grey water backflush fitting for cleaning/filling tanks

Hi and thanks to those folks who took the time to reply to my questions re cleaning out the Black Water tank. My wife and I boated on a 50 Gulfsteam sailboat for 8 years so know about 'nasty tanks'. Mojo are you talking about the clear plastic elbow which attaches between the trailer and the 'slinky' drain hose which has a fitting for a hose to allow water to be injected through the dump valve back into the tank? I have seen those but was concerned about 'bad water' getting into the hose and sooner or later, into whatever you got the clean water from. Perhaps a back flow preventer would be sufficient - any thoughts on that? Any problems if the ice is not fully melted when you empty the tank? Again, thanks for the help............
Airbusdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Any problems if the ice is not fully melted when you empty the tank?
If you use a slinky, the hose diameter should be large enough to pass any unmelted ice.

If you use a macerator pump, trying to pump ice is not a whole lot different than trying to pump gravel; you'll tear up the pump. Best to let the ice melt completely.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Hi and thanks to those folks who took the time to reply to my questions re cleaning out the Black Water tank. My wife and I boated on a 50 Gulfsteam sailboat for 8 years so know about 'nasty tanks'. Mojo are you talking about the clear plastic elbow which attaches between the trailer and the 'slinky' drain hose which has a fitting for a hose to allow water to be injected through the dump valve back into the tank? I have seen those but was concerned about 'bad water' getting into the hose and sooner or later, into whatever you got the clean water from. Perhaps a back flow preventer would be sufficient - any thoughts on that? Any problems if the ice is not fully melted when you empty the tank? Again, thanks for the help............
Yes it is called a Flush King by Valtera. It has a back flow preventer on it and I use a section of gray hose specifically for attaching to non-potable water connections. It is surprising how much stuff stays in the tank after dumping and this allows you to get a lot of water in faster than the sprayer so you can dump again. And it's good to leave a few gallons of fresh water in there while driving.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #15

1993 29' Excella
Wasaga Beach , Ontario
Questions re FLUSH KING by VALTERA

When talking with RV parts dealers they suggested that the distance the water had to travel in my trailer (29 Excella, right hand toilet location - not road side) it was unlikely that the water would get to the tank and be effective in 'clearing out' the junk within. Do you have any comment on this as I would love to be able to avoid draging a hose in the trailer and spraying directly, via a long tube with 90 degree elbow, into the black water tank. ideas please. Thanks, Dave Morrison
SweetLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Camping World carries a short hose and wandthat gets connected to the vanity sink faucet by removing the aerator and replacing it with an adaptor. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I just tried my black flush system for the first time today and got water flooding the floor between the shower and bathroom on my 2008 Classic 25FB. I don't think the previous owner ever used it. I took the water pump access panel out in the wardrobe next to the shower and the its wet down there. Water was pouring down from around the first holding tank. I forgot to open the dump valve but the tank was pretty empty and I wanted to fill it up 1/2 way before dumping. I guess I should've had the valve open. Did not having the dump valve open cause this?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I doubt it. I think it is the clear anti-siphon valve in the Black flush line. I should be mounted on the exterior wall (maybe) near the black flush garden hose attachment. follow the line till you find it.

I eliminated mine and plumbed a straight line to the spray head. They are a pretty common failure item.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I detached the fitting from the outside and pull tugging on the the white hard hoses in the wardrobe access I found that line and sure enough the valve had broken off at the output and sprayed the inside behind the shower. Luckily there wasn't a too much of a mess and I was able to dry it out by mopping with paper towels. I removed the fiberglass insulation that was soaked and will replace it. So all you did was get a short 1/2" threaded pipe and screw the two hoses together?

With out the check valve in place what are the disadvantages?

Why do these break? I think mine just rests between the shower wall and the AS interior wall and I guess it must bang against the sides during travel. Maybe water stays in the output check valve and then freezes. Might have to blow air through the fitting.

This part is impossible to find online. I may just join the hoses together.

Thanks

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Siphon Valve.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	504.8 KB
ID:	183886  
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Eliminate it. It is only made by a small business.....like real small......I looked and looked, and when I finally got a hold of a guy, he said get rid of it? My understanding is it is code for the manufacturer, but not really needed. The only way you could possibly get black water back to the hose, would be if you over filled with the sprayer...not necessary nor effective to fill the tank with the cleaner. In addition, there is another small check valve in the hose connector.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote