Old 11-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
No. 2

OK boys and girls, I've got one of those, um, delicate questions that generally starts a free-for-all yuk-fest when asked here on the forums, so here goes. Insert yer jokes wherever you feel appropriate.

As some of you know, we've been working on our '73 for several years now. The bath has been completed for a couple of years now and we've been camping in it for over two years. I can truthfully say that the black tank has only experienced "No. 2" once and only once. That was at the "Springstream" rally in April of this year. The remainder of it's use has been limited to "No. 1". A month or so after we got home from Springstream, "THE smell" began. I think you know the one I'm talking about.

Of course, we dumped the tank. A couple of times. I've tried one of those "deodorant" whatchamacallits. No luck. I even pulled the 'Stream around from the backyard and connected the slinky to the clean out on the septic at the house, suited up in my full protective gear (NASA would have been proud) then went crazy with the garden hose down the throat of the toilet. Still, no luck.

Sooooo, what the heck do you do to get the smell outta that dang thing? I'm reasonably certain that the mechanicals around the tank are sound (no leaks, etc). I also reasonably certain that the p-traps are working correctly. Winterizing is due this weekend, so I want to try and kill this thing, once and for all, at that time.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Does your throne hold water or does it leak out of the bowl? This water helps to seal "scents" from coming out of the tank. I've read elsewhere here on the forums that a small propane leak can smell like the scents your describing. Any propane devices in the near vacinity? It's unusual to suddenly smell escence de #2 without ever noticing #1 for so long. Even our dogs #2 loses it scent after 2 weeks. Maybe it's mouse #2 (or a dead one) coming from somewhere else. Maybe you should just stay away from the all you can eat buffets in Hiawasee.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
When I have used the waste tanks, and the AS will be setting for a while, I mix up a concentrated solution of swimming pool shock, pour it into the toliot and sink drain, IMMEDIATELY FOLLOW IT WITH FREASH WATER and continue until the tanks are full. I let it sit in the tank for about 1 hour after which I fill and drain each tank twice to remove it (pool shock releases chlorine which is very corrosive). Just like in my pool, it kills ALL of the critters dead and removes any smell.

You can get pool shock at your local Home Depot or Lowes.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
But be careful with too many chemicals not designed to wrok in holding tanks...harsh chemicals can deteriorate seals and fittings...then you have even more problems... We use holding tank chemicals and find them quite effective...but we also thoroughly flush the holding tanks if the unit is going to be sitting for a couple of weeks without being used...then add another treatment of chemicals and some water so it can break down anything left. If you can't get rid of the odors by flushing, using chemicals and leaving water in the toilet to seal it, my guess is that there is another factor at play...and the odors are either coming from somewhere else finding their way out through a broken seal or leak. Have you checked your black tank vent for blockage?
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I've read elsewhere here on the forums that a small propane leak can smell like the scents your describing. Any propane devices in the near vacinity?

When my daughter got her Minuet, it had a strange, stinky, number twoey smell. I immediately yanked her toilet & put a new one in (for her birthday, of course). I knew the tank was clean b/c we put ice in it & everything else under the sun for the trip home when she bought it (about a 5 hour drive) The tank was sparkling (I'm fanatical about black tanks ever since I dropped the toothbrush in mine!). Anyhow, when we were camping with her for her first outing, the smell was back. She never left any "kids in the pool" if you know what I mean. I turned off her propane & left it off---yep, that was it. A small leak in the stove somewhere--still haven't helped her find that one yet. I'm sure the toilet was fine--I thought it had a bad seal. Maybe you should give that a whirl (not to be confused with swirl) before you go to any other drastic measures like changing the toilet!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Jim,

You might check to see that your vent pipe isn't shoved too deep into the black tank.

Please read the attached link. It's humorous yet sensible.

Cosmos

Macerators and Other Sewage Stuff by phred
Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
.... Maybe you should just stay away from the all you can eat buffets in Hiawasee.

Ricky
Well, we did attend the "Stun yer own Steak Night" at the "Hungry Heifer" restaurant in town, do you think that may have contributed to the problem?

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll keep reading....

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 11-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
FWIW, I don't have any gas (no pun intended) connected in the camper yet. Just haven't gotton that far yet in the rebuild.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 11-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
my guess... wax ring.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
When I reserrected my 67 it stunk for the first year. I tried many cleanses. The one that made our Airstream oder free was about 20 pounds of ice and 5 gallons of water down the old chute. Then a nice long drive. The smell returned once (and we USE our toilet) and a repeat of the water & ice, wally aw......no smell. Adios, John