Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
newbie question

sooo finished going through all electrical and decided to start on water system today. Found out that the po had forgotten to winterize the traps on the shower and sink, which I repaired this afternoon with some new pipe. I discovered another leak, out the back side of the thetford valve.

I've never had a trailer with just a black tank, but have seen the portable tanks. All our pipes except one (which appears to be attached to the bathroom vent above floor height) go into the tank, however there was a thetford valve right off the tank itself, followed by and adaptor with a "t" that goes to the vent, then out to the side of the frame with another thetford valve. The only thing between these two valves is that line that appears to be a vent pipe, though I suppose it could be coming over from the kitchen, I can't see around the toilet well enough to know for sure. Is this second valve, closest to the tank necessary or can I eliminate it? Just seams like one more set of seals to fail (its the reason I have it apart, as it was dripping around the outside o-ring that seats it to the tank.

On a second note, does anyone know the tank capacity on a 69 tradewind for the waste tank?
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I will speculate that the last Thetford valve was added to your Airstream modified by a previous owner. With that valve closed and the black tank valve open, the black tank could be used more conveniently as a gray water tank.

The black tank on my '67 Airstream holds 17 gallons; Your tank probably holds close to the same.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
so I think I understand what you're saying, but does that mean that originally the gray water did not share the tank, but rather had to drain onto the ground or into a seperate container? I was under the assumption that the gray and black water went into one waste tank on older trailers. I have to admit I'm a bit confused. Should I leave that second valve in there to be able to just drain the one part, or just plumb everything into the one outmost valve?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Gray Water in the 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons
...does that mean that originally the gray water did not share the tank, but rather had to drain onto the ground or into a separate container?
Correct. That’s how my ’67 is. Things were a little different in the 60s. Search for a thread on the best size blue tank. These are portable external tanks with wheels to catch gray water or transport black water without moving the trailer. My 22 gallon one even has an adapter for a trailer hitch so you could tow it through a campground to the dump station.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Red face progress

Well progress was made. After several trips, a new thetford valve was installed on the tank, and the hub coming off of it was repaired to receive new pipe to second waste valve. Going to repair the sheet metal pan and replace angle iron support (rear side of tank pan) that was rusted out due to the leaky valve among other things I'm sure. Checked out the portable tanks today while picking up parts. Thanks for all your help! Not a job I ever want to do again.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Glad you are making progress. I’ve been really lucky so far. I have had two problems with the Trade Wind. I had a leak in Ft. Lauderdale once and it turned out to be nothing more than the hose clamp had rusted in two. In 1967 they didn’t use a stainless steel clamp. My second problem occurred after a trip to Texas for a friend’s wedding. The belly pan under the tank collapsed onto the street. Luckily, the tank was empty at the time. Even luckier, it happened right as I was pulling into my driveway! The pan had rusted (yes, steel not aluminum) around the screws holding it to the frame.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote