Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
Paula, so the gravity fall of the black tank contents is enough to macerate those contents for the most part? I hadn't realized that, and may actually look at the SS more carefully if that's the case.
I think what Paula meant was that in time the "stuff" will digest down to a liquid state enough to flow with the water back pressure in the tank down the 1" smooth line of the SS to the dump pipe. This also means there has to be a down slope to the hose. This will work slow and the clear pipe will not be a nice thing to look at. SS will only pump up hill with the water flowing. You can use your fresh water pump onboard the AS to work the SS - not optimal with the pressure but I have tested it and it will work - ONCE with the limited on board water supply.

I typically allow the grey water to just drain in its own time. This will help conserve the camp ground water supply.

The SS hose can be walked on, driven over with a bike, be completely un-level which means it's an install and forget system at setup. Quicker setup, easier to clean, great at home to help dump to a distant cleanout.

OK - too much info.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Regarding the long hose held up high and full of water, I imagine one has to be careful about how full the tank is. Otherwise, it seems like one could end up with a bit of overflow from the toilet. Would not be a pretty sight.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
OK - too much info
Actually, you and Paula have been extremely helpful!

I think I'm going to get some of that stuff of yours, Mr. Toad, it sounds like it'll work nicely with the Sewer Solution, which I'm now much more open to thinking about.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
one other advantage of keeping a couple of gallons of water ad chemical in the black tank at all times is to keep the drain valve seal wet. I even go as far as to leave about a 1/4 gallon of water in the toilet bowl to keep the trap seal wet when in storage. When the seals dry out with age, they tend to leak
Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
I am a newbie with a 2012 Sport 16. It has a combined black/gray tank. I understand the basics of dumping to a dump tank at a facility (rv campground, public dump station, etc.) And I note that "full hook-up" rv campgrounds include sewer hook-ups, right? OK, here's the dumb question I am asking because so far I haven't found a detained explanation in the ton of literature (including the newbie's guide to airstreaming) OR when I asked the mechanic who did the walk-around:

What is involved in hooking up to a sewer connection at your assigned rv pad? The mechanic said the only thing available is to dump your tank at a dump station. But reading conversations on the forum, and the listing of "sewer connections available" leads me to think that one can hook up their rv sewer outlet for continuous use while parked at a full hookup location. Is that true? And if it is (and I suspect it is) what are the details? For instance, do I run the flush hose continually while hooked up or what? Does waste go into my tank and then out into the connected sewer?? And is my 16' Sport even equipped for such a hookup? Maybe the mechanic is right and there is no such thing. But if there is I don't understand why I can't find details on how to do it. Lots of sources for just using the dump stations, however.
Thanks in advance.
-Rich
Sheesh, all these folks are making even me skeered of the dump. It's not that skeeryy. Take your empty trailer to the dump station at a slow time and practice a couple times, you'll soon see where the potential problems can happen, and you're doing a safe dummy run. The hose can get some water slam, so you get prepared with something holding the end down into the dump station. Then it doesn't happen and you say what! is that all there is to it. Rinse well. Have some antibacterial goop to do a final wash of your hands (or feet). Practice again if you want to. Or just take a seat on the bleachers with some rating cards and have fun listening to the "ex-perts" doing it.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #48
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Rich, all good questions and answers, particularly maintaining a fairly clean black water tank. Luckily, our storage location has a dump station. Since we tend to use our TT for five or more days at a time, on the last leg of the homebound drive we add a gallon or so of water to a 3 pound bag of crushed ice down the hopper after the morning departure dump. It will swirl around the tank and then melt before we reach the drop off lot by day's end. Any remaining solids are physically brushed from the sides and bottom during the process and we dump and rinse again at the storage lot. A little fresh water and some chemicals get added before storage unless it is time to wintertime.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Sheesh, all these folks are making even me skeered of the dump. It's not that skeeryy. Take your empty trailer to the dump station at a slow time and practice a couple times, you'll soon see where the potential problems can happen, and you're doing a safe dummy run. The hose can get some water slam, so you get prepared with something holding the end down into the dump station. Then it doesn't happen and you say what! is that all there is to it. Rinse well. Have some antibacterial goop to do a final wash of your hands (or feet). Practice again if you want to. Or just take a seat on the bleachers with some rating cards and have fun listening to the "ex-perts" doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe01 View Post
Rich, all good questions and answers, particularly maintaining a fairly clean black water tank. Luckily, our storage location has a dump station. Since we tend to use our TT for five or more days at a time, on the last leg of the homebound drive we add a gallon or so of water to a 3 pound bag of crushed ice down the hopper after the morning departure dump. It will swirl around the tank and then melt before we reach the drop off lot by day's end. Any remaining solids are physically brushed from the sides and bottom during the process and we dump and rinse again at the storage lot. A little fresh water and some chemicals get added before storage unless it is time to wintertime.
Both sound like great ideas. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Ready to go

Decided to get the Sewer Solution, an extra extension hose, flush hose, clear extender for the trailer connection and a y valve. I will be trying the hook ups week after next at Dockweiler Beach for 5 days. May do a practice flush at home with just plain water.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Did my practice flush before I left and 2 real ones at the beach. Sewer Solution is a winner. Glad I bought the extra hose extension too.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2009 16' DWR
Venice , Florida
I too am new and have never dumped my 16 Bambi DWR. It has a fitting on the side for a water hose and says to use to flush the grey/black water tank. Does this take the place of Sewer Solutions? This whole thread is scarring the c____p out of me! I can see why a new person like me would never use the head.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #53

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The tank flush inlet has nothing to do with the Sewer Solution of other tank draining hose. When you attach a fresh water hose to the tank flush inlet, it sprays water throughout the holding tank to rinse it down after dump through the Sewer Solution or other dump hose.

We have this built-in flush system in our Airstream. We use it during each dump cycle to rinse our black tank (our 25FB has separate black and gray tanks) to help clean it out. We also use this flush system to put some fresh water back into the empty holding tank to help dissolve the holding tank chemicals.

Please don't despair over this dumping thing. There is a learning curve, but "it ain't launching rockets".

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0018.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	151452   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3672.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	151453  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6938.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	151454  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Milltown , New Jersey
Where did you get those coiled hoses? Also nice labeling!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I think there's too much made of this dumping lark; as Brian said, it ain't rocket science. We've done most of our camping at campgrounds where there is no sewer hookup so we've become friends with the Stinky Slinky and the dump station. It's not as nasty as all that and we've had no accidents yet; the application of common sense goes a long way. I'll admit, though, that it is nice to have a sewer hookup and they're almost a necessity if you're staying anywhere for more than a few days.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #56

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanNdonna View Post
Where did you get those coiled hoses? Also nice labeling!
The regular coiled hose to feed the sewer solution came from Wal-Mart. We got the potable drinking water coiled hose on-line from naturestapestry.com. We love the way that these hoses store, and would never go back to the standard hoses.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote