Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2008, 04:20 AM   #1

1973 25' Tradewind
Harpers Ferry , West Virginia
Question New Waste Gate Valve for Black Tank?

Hello,
We have a 1973 Airstream Land Yacht and the black tank is leaking. Just a slow drip for now. We've taken it to a couple of RV repair places and they said that they could put in a new valve if I can find one! Any tips on where I can find a valve and new sewer line connectors for the hose?
Thanks!
TylerFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
There are a number of parts places that have Thetford dump valves. I often get mine at Vintage Trailer Supply.

There is a thread that shows how to repair them using an O-ring from McMaster-Carr. You'll have to search to find it. Replacing the O-ring requires about the same amount of work--you still have to disassemble the unit--but it's less cost.

Zep
Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #3

1973 25' Tradewind
Black & Blue

Thanks for the info!
I have a feeling Vintage Trailer Supply is going to be a great source of parts for fixing up our Airstream. Alas, they're temporarily out of stock on the Thetford valves. Any other supply houses you know of that stock parts for these old Streams?
As for the McMaster Carr catalogue. It's a thing of beauty, thousands of pages of hardware, motors & gadgets to make & fix things you never even knew existed!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerFyre View Post
... they're temporarily out of stock on the Thetford valves. Any other supply houses you know of that stock parts for these old Streams?
CD RV parts in Riverside has helped me out before--very willing to handle an order the way you want (special shipping, etc.). They have the Thetford stuff, but it's not easy to find in their site (eg, this dump valve is not in their dump valve page).

Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply

I've ordered repair kits from them when I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Zep
Old 06-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerFyre View Post
Hello,
We have a 1973 Airstream Land Yacht and the black tank is leaking. Just a slow drip for now. We've taken it to a couple of RV repair places and they said that they could put in a new valve if I can find one! Any tips on where I can find a valve and new sewer line connectors for the hose?
Thanks!
We have those Thetford valves in stock.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #6

1973 25' Tradewind
Thanks for the help. We've got her patched up on the road for now and hope to get the new valve on there when we touch home in a next couple weeks before heading out for the rest of the summer.
Thanks Again!