Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges
We need a brave person to shrink themselves down, get in a space ship and fly around in there to see what really goes on, then they could fly around the fridge to make sure the light really goes out. Let's see, this plan could come in handy, where else could we send miniaturized Airstreamers???
LOL! I love your ideas!

Besides the "space ship", we need a miniature Airstream with "legs" that can travel the same paths that a mouse does (i.e., down the wiring and plumbing, through the walls and in the belly pan). Just think of how much that would simplify debugging wiring and plumbing issues!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
To be honest, I'm sure the gauge manual talks about probes. It's not like AS uses some proprietary monitoring system, it's the same system in most RV's. Let's just say I've been less than impressed with the local service centre. I think they sell so few AS that they aren't very knowledgeable. Oddly enough, he insisted the AS rep. told him about the 'weight' thing...hmmmm.....
MG911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:05 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
There are some members on this forum that own or work at Airstream dealerships. It would be great if we could get them to weigh in on this topic to help clear up the "muddy waters".

Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Great name! Hope you enjoy his music too!!!!

Anyway, I'm afraid that your friend is passing along another 'old wives' tale (sorry girls ) about the black tank. Why do you think that Airstream included one with your trailer? To begin, after you dump your black tank and rinse it thoroughly, you should add a gallon or 2 of fresh water, then add a tank deoderizer/enzyme to it. USE IT, THAT'S WHAT YOU HAVE IT FOR!!!!!!!

When it's at least 3/4 full, dump it, rinse and repeat the above process. You don't dump it with less than 3/4 load because the extra liquids in the tank help to wash down any solids that are there.

NEVER LEAVE THE BLACK TANK VALVE OPEN!!!!!!!!! This will drain all of the liquids from the tank and leave the solids in the tank.....resulting in a condition commonly referred to as 'the black hills'.

Any Questions?
Excellent, Lewster! I may print off your post and bring it with us as a reference sheet.

I thought there was gold in the Black Hills?
Muddy Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
All of this advice has been invaluable. When we take the A/S out of mothballs, I'm going to reread this and jot down some notes. It should be fine even if it seems rather daunting at first.

I heard that crack about the 'muddy waters', btw.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Just watch this and you will know everything you need to know about your black water tank and sewage disposal:

dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters
I heard that crack about the 'muddy waters', btw.

I couldn't resist!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters
I thought there was gold in the Black Hills?
Only if you swallowed a filling!

Paula
Old 03-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Only if you swallowed a filling!
Ewwww! Now I have that visual stuck in my head for the evening!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000
Just watch this and you will know everything you need to know about your black water tank and sewage disposal:

Uh, thanks. A lot.

Anybody wanna buy a 2002 Bambi? Must go list it now, CUL8R.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000

Cute (only because I kept repeating out loud to myself that it was only watered down chocolate)!

I especially like the impromptu "rendezvous" set-up in the field watching the dumping "show"!

Now I will have to go rent the movie to see the rest of their RVing "saga"!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Okay so we took our initial journey in the A/S and all went well, including the sewage mysteries. One thing we found is we need a new sewer hose. I was told that Valtrec doesn't fit too well on an Airstream and to look for Thetco hoses. Unfortunately it's not easy to find Thetco hoses. What about 'Blue Line', do those products fit? Any recommendations?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Probably "Thetford" ... are certainly available via mail order. Try Google. Or go here:

Thetford Replacement Sewer Fittings - Camping World
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Probably "Thetford" ... are certainly available via mail order. Try Google. Or go here:

Thetford Replacement Sewer Fittings - Camping World
THANK YOU, AirsDream. Done and done. Bought two ten-footers.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Question story stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog299 View Post
Either make do, make a story stick out of a wooden dowel kept for the purpose, or pay to have it replaced.
Ewwwwww!!!!!! Where do you store the dowel?
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG911 View Post
I happened to be speaking with my AS service centre on a separate issue and just happened to mention the gauge not reading properly. He stated it's not actually a probe that reads the liquid levels in the tanks but it's measured by weight. Does this sound right?? I was under the impression it was more than likely a probe that was covered with foreign material causing the incorrect readings...hmmmm....

The newer Airstreams (circa 2003/4) use a "Micro-Pulse" (r) system that actually 'weighs' the water/fluid in the tanks. The probe sits near the bottom of the tank and the opening is less than 1/2", this could possibly get clogged. You can calibrate each tank separately, see your owners manual, re: Micro-Pulse insert brochure.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
If you google "micro-pulse black tank", you find that it works by measuring the water pressure at the bottom of the tank, thereby weighing the fluid. Unfortunately, several forum members have had problems with the pressure transducer failing.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Edgewater , Florida
As most of the lucky Vintage owners know as I do, we only have a black tank, and the owners manual of my 1972 A/S explains how to cap off the waist line conection and open the black valve to allow grey water to flow back into the black tank when not using full hookups. I picked up a twist on waist valve from Wally World and install it at the outlet on the camper when I arrive at my site, and then the waist line hooks to this valve. Then on my last day of camping all I have to do is close this valve, open the black valve and fill the black tank whith grey water while we are cleaning up and doing the dishes ect. works great and I dont have to sit there and keep flushing the toilet.
Just an idea for those Vintage owners out there.
higgy116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:30 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Thanks for the reply..MicroPulse is sending me a new sensor for the black tank. They have a very good warranty which is nice to see (5 years). Wish me luck.
Mike
MG911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:42 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Black Water Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters View Post
We bought our 2002 19' Bambi in October and have yet to take it out. I want to be fully informed about as much as possible before we go out. Even then we're sure to make a boo-boo or two (or three, or four, or...).

A friend of mine said not to use the loo for number two. Sounds reasonable enough only it got me wondering. Conventional wisdom says the black tank should be half full before dumping it. With just two of us camping, that could take awhile. Could we put water in it to bring it up to being half full? Would that be sufficient for draining the tank?
MW, you have gotten much good info on this issue so there is not much I could add to help, except; if you wait until you learn everything about your A/S and camping you wont get to use your trailer, "the best part of camping is the adventure and the things you learn as you go along" you know the basics just go for it and have fun.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote