Old 03-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
I have had an Airhead composting toilet on my boat ( See avatar) for quite a while now with much success compared to the standard holding tank. One of these days I hope to do an installation on my AS. I've attached several photos of the installation on my 30' Nonsuch Ultra. No more odors, no more holding tank chemicals and no possibility of tank leaks and simplified winterizing.

Fair winds,

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed installation clean up left to do (1).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	208354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed installation clean up left to do (5).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	208355  

Old 03-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
We have a compost toilet and when time came to decide on a toilet for our Safari. We choose a portapot. I would have really wanted the compost. But with the porta we didn't have to worry about a Urine tank,(less weight) or battery drain ( from running the fan, not a 12v fan) and the chance of killing the enzime from to much beer. So it sits in my garage collecting dust until the time comes that I have a full time unit connected to septic and 110.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
We also finally got our Airhead for the 54 FC. They are very well built and look to be easy to modify. Mine will be installed on a board or some other type of small platform. When it comes time to empty, which should be about once maybe twice a year ( after all it is a composting toilet) I will be able to move the base away from the wall as there will be a track which will allow the platform to slide out.
The biggest improvement will be adapting the urine container to flow into our dual 15 gal grey tanks. Looks like an easy do with just a tube routed into the exhaust vent for the tank. That said we are a long way to getting there.
BTW our Airhead cost us $875 delivered.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
I wish Airstream would offer his as a new option. It would save cost without additional plumbing and black tank. Would be less weight and many many people do not ever use their toilets anyway (opting for campground bathhouses). A composite toilet would be great for emergencies for those that prefer campground accommodations most of the time. It would also eliminate the maintenance and smell of a black tank

There is a strong market for this and I hope airstream switches to it soon and saves the hassle of modding a new model
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
While I agree that this would be a great option, the mod is a small one and easily done. Plug the hole to the black tank, add an extra valve to combine the old black and old grey tank into one large grey tank, if that's required. The installation of the composter doesn't take long.

Then just run a quick vent and you're done. One thing that is important is the presence of solar, so the vent keeps running.

Many people I talk to have an "eww" reaction to composting toilets, so the market may not be quite as large.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
While solar is a good way to ventilate there are several other options, 12v, 110v., possibly even turbine activated, but yes they all will need 24/7 venting.
As far as being popular, maybe not yet in the RV world , but remember they designed and built for the boating industry, which is huge. Many many are in 'circulation' there
Old 03-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Winter Garden , Florida
We are not full timers, so the camper stay in storage for period of time. With the ability to remove the bucket and is content, the only thing left is an empty toilet. So, I don't need to run the fan when in storage. I installed a kill switch and cut all power to the camper.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Yes you can do the same thing with a Natures head you just unscrew the two hold downs and remove the toilet. Just empty the toilet just like your version, and re-install, the difference may be that one always has a bag of well you know , the other is a composted version.