Old 10-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
I am not trying to hijack a thread, or start a fight.

I would really just like to know how carrying a 2 gallon bucket of urine or a bucket of human waste compost through the interior of one's trailer and out the door to some dump site is any better or easier than a black tank?

Really, just an honest question.

Regards,

JD
JD: It's a legitimate question.

I've considered them from the aspect of long term boondocking. Urine is pretty much not a bio-hazard compared to "the solids". It may be a hassle, but there aren't that many trailers that can boondock for extended periods of time without having to either drive up to the dump station or use a blue boy. The urine smell isn't that bad if dumped frequently, and has shown that it can be beneficial to plants due to the high nitrogen content.

So, a composting toilet is convenient since if you look at it from a strict bio-hazard point of view, you can be in a national campground and empty your urine bottle next to a tree, just like the local wildlife.

Additionally, you don't have to use your fresh water for flushing and rinsing. The composting toilets don't require additional water requirements, so your water supply can be more conservative.

Finally, most anyone can operate a composting toilet and replace items if they break down, whereas not many people are able to do what I'm doing - which is dropping a black tank and building one from scratch. If I wasn't trying to keep my trailer all original, I may have added a composting toilet, and replaced my black tank with a 3rd gray tank to enable me to boondock for an entire week with a family of 4 if needed.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
I am not trying to hijack a thread, or start a fight.

I would really just like to know how carrying a 2 gallon bucket of urine or a bucket of human waste compost through the interior of one's trailer and out the door to some dump site is any better or easier than a black tank?

Really, just an honest question.

Regards,

JD
With our family of five we get about three to four days of dry camping before we need to empty the grey tank, a week max before the black tank is full.

With a composting toilet we will be able to stretch that time to a week comfortably before we will need to empty the now combined black/grey tank. The Nature's Head model is good for about 80 uses before it needs emptying, that's about two weeks use with the entire family on board.

All my kids are boys, which makes this even easier, they don't mind peeing behind a tree. (Apologies to girls who also don't mind this)

Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Port Washington , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ArgosyFl View Post
We bought a SEPARETT composting toilet. We should be ready to install it in about a month. We will see how we like it. No space problem with this model, since only the toilet seat open to replace the bucket inside. Urine will go to holding tank. There is a vent that will connect to one of the roof vent. an electric fan always run to eliminate odors.
Wondering how your experience has been installing / using / maintaining the Separett toilet? I'm considering this as well...

www.littlegreenairstream.com

@LittleGreenAir | Facebook | Instagram
LittleGreen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Is not dumping human waste in the open illegal in all states. I would hate to rent a campsite where someone has dumped several gallons of urine on a tree nearby. Dumping the toilet out in the open sounds even worse. Maybe this is legal? Jim
Old 03-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
New Composting Toilet Installation

With all due respect to those who differ with my thinking, I can say with certainty that a composting toilet ain't for me.

I would sooner use a 5 gallon bucket with a one use kitchen trash bag.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Is not dumping human waste in the open illegal in all states. I would hate to rent a campsite where someone has dumped several gallons of urine on a tree nearby. Dumping the toilet out in the open sounds even worse. Maybe this is legal? Jim
I'm still learning about this process / technology, but from what I understand composting toilets either have heating elements that evaporate liquids & incinerate harmful bacteria which would then presumably be safe & lawful to discard in nature (I'll need to research the legality a bit more), or else wastes are mixed with sawdust or similar material and then the compost sits in a covered bin for a year, after which it has been transformed naturally to "safe, rich soil."

I would imagine that using best practices and being considerate of others is key. Perhaps this is a personality characteristic of nature lovers in general?

I'm a guy so heading off behind a tree to pee is not usually objectionable as long as I'm discreet. But otherwise my understanding is - rather than pouring gallons of urine on a tree - the best practice is that, "the urine is collected in a jug and diluted and sprayed around your garden; urine is sterile and is full of phosphorus."

I haven't tried this in practice so I don't know how easy or neighbor-friendly this is when it comes to full-timing or boondocking. Will have to do some more research & experiment. But otherwise most of this sounds to me as practical and natural as the maintenance of an outhouse. There's an effort & some inconvenience involved, which is worth it to some who consider how the wastes would otherwise be discarded.

After reading your question, I did a Google search about this topic and found an interesting short article on a website called LivinLightly by an Airstream owner who used this forum to explore the pros & cons of installing a composting toilet in his trailer. Not sure of the forum's policy on adding links, but you can do a search if you'd like.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The capture, storage, and decomposition of human fecal matter inside a small living area ....

"Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy........"

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Thanks all, 73ArgosyFl still curious about your personal experience with this product

Old 03-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Winter Garden , Florida
Wow! Restoration is a long process. We just installed our Compost toilet (SEPARETT) and went for our first camping trip since we bought the camper last May. The inside consist of not much than a vinyl floor, some AC and DC power and a few temporary furniture. Back to the compost toilet...I can say that my two girls(5 and 7 years old), my wife and I really like our choice to go with this model of composting toilet. No odors were noticed for our 4 day camping trip. The girls got the hang of it with no issue. Great for my oldest one who often forget to flush at home. :-(
Old 03-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Winter Garden , Florida
The toilet is hooked to the Gray water tank. So the usual stop at the dump station is still there. No need to carry urine out of the camper every so often. We also don't have to deal with toilet paper clogging the system. The bucket comes out with a liner bag and is set aside for composting. The company provide three buckets for rotation during composting. We will have to see how this part works for us. But for now...We are Happy Campers.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
That's really clever. I like the idea of diverting urine to a large, combined grey tank, as that would have to be emptied anyway.

I just took a look at the Separett online, it looks quite large in the pictures. Did it fit ok? And what made you choose the Separett over the Nature's Head, which is $300 cheaper?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Winter Garden , Florida
The Separett as a simple design. No turning knobs, no lost space behind the toilet because of the way it opens to access the bucket inside, cleaner and just easier to use...in my opinion. I did a lot of research and watch several videos. After using the toilet, I don't see any problem, but more advantages to go with the SEPARETT.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:03 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Im still confused about where you dump the compost? If you are fulltiming or on the road for extended periods of time how do you get rid of this?
Thanks
Old 03-27-2014, 05:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
Im still confused about where you dump the compost? If you are fulltiming or on the road for extended periods of time how do you get rid of this?
Thanks
Options range from spreading in your back yard to burying it in the woods to simply bagging and dropping the bags into the garbage.

I am not sure about the legalities of disposing compost, or humanure, so would probably stick with option one or three. The biggest benefit is that you only need to empty the toilet every couple of weeks.