Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The capture, storage, and decomposition of human fecal matter inside a small living area ....

"Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy........"

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Port Washington , New York
Thanks all, 73ArgosyFl still curious about your personal experience with this product

www.littlegreenairstream.com

@LittleGreenAir | Facebook | Instagram
LittleGreen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Winter Garden , Florida
Wow! Restoration is a long process. We just installed our Compost toilet (SEPARETT) and went for our first camping trip since we bought the camper last May. The inside consist of not much than a vinyl floor, some AC and DC power and a few temporary furniture. Back to the compost toilet...I can say that my two girls(5 and 7 years old), my wife and I really like our choice to go with this model of composting toilet. No odors were noticed for our 4 day camping trip. The girls got the hang of it with no issue. Great for my oldest one who often forget to flush at home. :-(
73ArgosyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Winter Garden , Florida
The toilet is hooked to the Gray water tank. So the usual stop at the dump station is still there. No need to carry urine out of the camper every so often. We also don't have to deal with toilet paper clogging the system. The bucket comes out with a liner bag and is set aside for composting. The company provide three buckets for rotation during composting. We will have to see how this part works for us. But for now...We are Happy Campers.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
That's really clever. I like the idea of diverting urine to a large, combined grey tank, as that would have to be emptied anyway.

I just took a look at the Separett online, it looks quite large in the pictures. Did it fit ok? And what made you choose the Separett over the Nature's Head, which is $300 cheaper?
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Winter Garden , Florida
The Separett as a simple design. No turning knobs, no lost space behind the toilet because of the way it opens to access the bucket inside, cleaner and just easier to use...in my opinion. I did a lot of research and watch several videos. After using the toilet, I don't see any problem, but more advantages to go with the SEPARETT.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Im still confused about where you dump the compost? If you are fulltiming or on the road for extended periods of time how do you get rid of this?
Thanks
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
Im still confused about where you dump the compost? If you are fulltiming or on the road for extended periods of time how do you get rid of this?
Thanks
Options range from spreading in your back yard to burying it in the woods to simply bagging and dropping the bags into the garbage.

I am not sure about the legalities of disposing compost, or humanure, so would probably stick with option one or three. The biggest benefit is that you only need to empty the toilet every couple of weeks.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:56 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
I have had an Airhead composting toilet on my boat ( See avatar) for quite a while now with much success compared to the standard holding tank. One of these days I hope to do an installation on my AS. I've attached several photos of the installation on my 30' Nonsuch Ultra. No more odors, no more holding tank chemicals and no possibility of tank leaks and simplified winterizing.

Fair winds,

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed installation clean up left to do (1).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	208354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed installation clean up left to do (5).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	208355  

Old 03-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
We have a compost toilet and when time came to decide on a toilet for our Safari. We choose a portapot. I would have really wanted the compost. But with the porta we didn't have to worry about a Urine tank,(less weight) or battery drain ( from running the fan, not a 12v fan) and the chance of killing the enzime from to much beer. So it sits in my garage collecting dust until the time comes that I have a full time unit connected to septic and 110.
Cyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
We also finally got our Airhead for the 54 FC. They are very well built and look to be easy to modify. Mine will be installed on a board or some other type of small platform. When it comes time to empty, which should be about once maybe twice a year ( after all it is a composting toilet) I will be able to move the base away from the wall as there will be a track which will allow the platform to slide out.
The biggest improvement will be adapting the urine container to flow into our dual 15 gal grey tanks. Looks like an easy do with just a tube routed into the exhaust vent for the tank. That said we are a long way to getting there.
BTW our Airhead cost us $875 delivered.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
I wish Airstream would offer his as a new option. It would save cost without additional plumbing and black tank. Would be less weight and many many people do not ever use their toilets anyway (opting for campground bathhouses). A composite toilet would be great for emergencies for those that prefer campground accommodations most of the time. It would also eliminate the maintenance and smell of a black tank

There is a strong market for this and I hope airstream switches to it soon and saves the hassle of modding a new model
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
While I agree that this would be a great option, the mod is a small one and easily done. Plug the hole to the black tank, add an extra valve to combine the old black and old grey tank into one large grey tank, if that's required. The installation of the composter doesn't take long.

Then just run a quick vent and you're done. One thing that is important is the presence of solar, so the vent keeps running.

Many people I talk to have an "eww" reaction to composting toilets, so the market may not be quite as large.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
While solar is a good way to ventilate there are several other options, 12v, 110v., possibly even turbine activated, but yes they all will need 24/7 venting.
As far as being popular, maybe not yet in the RV world , but remember they designed and built for the boating industry, which is huge. Many many are in 'circulation' there
Old 03-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Winter Garden , Florida
We are not full timers, so the camper stay in storage for period of time. With the ability to remove the bucket and is content, the only thing left is an empty toilet. So, I don't need to run the fan when in storage. I installed a kill switch and cut all power to the camper.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 03-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Yes you can do the same thing with a Natures head you just unscrew the two hold downs and remove the toilet. Just empty the toilet just like your version, and re-install, the difference may be that one always has a bag of well you know , the other is a composted version.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:28 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Burlington , Vermont
Hello. I am new to this forum. My wife and I just bought our first AS -- a 2018 GT 27FBQ and are super excited. We haven't used it for real yet, though we have enjoyed hanging out in it, dreaming about the places we want to go. Really impressed with the design, workmanship and aesthetics. It's a beauty! Anyway, I saw this post and had a couple of follow-up questions: I assume an AS dealer is best contractor to install a Separatt Composting Toilet or do you think a good plumber could do it? The main challenges are: getting power to the fan, getting the urine tube to the BW tank and getting the vent to the outside. I'm thinking the best approach is through the BW tank. (There's no easy / good way to go through the wall.) Your suggestions are welcome, as well as any personal experience you've had with the Separett (or any urine diverting toilet) in an AS. Thanks in advance!

PS. This forum has been super helpful with our research, both before we made the purchase and since. Thank you!
MtClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
MT Climber, thanks for the post on the Separett, I had no idea that those existed. We've been using a Nature's Head, but I don't like the way it looks, and I like that the Separett allows for a more elegant way to dispose of urine. It's a minor hassle in the Nature's Head.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #39
Lunardoc

2019 30' Classic
League City , Texas
Installing a Nature’s Head composting toilet in a 2019 AS Classic

After renting a Class B RV to tour the South Island in New Zealand, I swore if there was ever an alternative to dealing with blackwater tank contents and dump station ops in the future I would do so. Last summer my wife and I rented a 27’ Globetrotter with a Nature’s Head composite toilet and we’re sold. Since then we bought a 2019 30’ Classic and am ready to install a new Nature’s Head toilet myself. Has anyone out there done the same and is this a straightforward swap for a somewhat handy guy or should I have our local AS dealer do it? AppreciTe the benefit of your experience and words of wisdom.
Lunardoc
Lunardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:47 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
We have a nature’s head in our 54 AS, love it. Installation is pretty straight forward. Biggest issue is figuring out how to run your vent hose and getting 12v to the fan. Are you replacing it where your existing commode is at? We made major mod on ours, we ran a line from the urine drain over to our grey tank so there is no need to take it apart every couple of days to dump the urine bottle. All in all it is a great unit and worth the major investment