Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
New Blackwater Tank - holding it in place

I have a nice new fiberglass black water tank. I have cut the openings for the toilet and the vent and it is in place. I installed the valve earlier this evening.

I was able to square the valve up so that it lines up with the frame and lines up with where the extension will exit the shell. The problem is that the tank isn't square in the opening, probably rotated about 20 degrees or so.

I originally planned on shoving some foam type insulation between the supports and the tank to hold it. Rotating the frame back so that the voids are somewhat square will cause the valve to sit against the frame which I don't think is a good idea.

Now I am considering taking some heavy plastic and shoving it between the supports/walls and the tank and filling it up with Great Stuff foam. My concern is whether or not Great Stuff will hold up and whether or not it out gasses lethal vapors.

I am trying an experiment tonight where I pumped some Great Stuff into several Glad Gallon Freezer Bags ... I have a feeling it won't cure properly though.

Any other suggestions?

Tom Bray
Tom Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Great stuff will not hold up. It will crumble to dust in short order with the natural movement of the trailer. Compressed foam insulation sheets cut to wedge in may be a better idea, even a few pieces of scrap rounded edge molding to go along the bottom edge of the tank will hold it.