Old 07-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Oakland , California
Question Need waste valve repair advice

Hi,

I have a 2004 16 ft bambi Airstream CCD and the other day just after returning from getting a few items repaired in Los Banos (those guys were absolutely fantastic by the way) I went to dump at a station and my whole waste valve assembly just pulled out.

I looked at a friend's airstream to see what was holding theirs on like a clamp or something and there does not seem to be a clamp there? I called a general RV repair shop that is close by and they said they put a clamp on it--???can you guys tell me--does the airstream bambi 16 ft with one grey tank need a clamp or just some goop? If no clamp then what holds it in place???

I am worried about blindly taking it to this RV place for a clamp if that is not how the airstreams are set up down there.

Stinkey in Richmond,

Noreen

Old 07-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreenz View Post
Hi,

I have a 2004 16 ft bambi Airstream CCD and the other day just after returning from getting a few items repaired in Los Banos (those guys were absolutely fantastic by the way) I went to dump at a station and my whole waste valve assembly just pulled out.

I looked at a friend's airstream to see what was holding theirs on like a clamp or something and there does not seem to be a clamp there? I called a general RV repair shop that is close by and they said they put a clamp on it--???can you guys tell me--does the airstream bambi 16 ft with one grey tank need a clamp or just some goop? If no clamp then what holds it in place???

I am worried about blindly taking it to this RV place for a clamp if that is not how the airstreams are set up down there.

Stinkey in Richmond,

Noreen
Where did what pull out from? Did a glue joint come undone? Did the valve break off the pipe? Did it pull out from the tank flange?
The waste valve is often hel din place by just the black 3in pipe, whichin turn is usually secured somewhere. Some waste valve assemblies have bracketry that hold them up against the belly pan or frame.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe View Post
Where did what pull out from? Did a glue joint come undone? Did the valve break off the pipe? Did it pull out from the tank flange?
The waste valve is often hel din place by just the black 3in pipe, whichin turn is usually secured somewhere. Some waste valve assemblies have bracketry that hold them up against the belly pan or frame.
The whole waste valve assembly handle and all appears to have unglued itself from the pan--it looks like a the seal was quite worn. I see no bracket and that is why I am worried to take it to a place that will put a bracket on it. Nothing appears broken--just a worn seal or sealant and the thing just pulled out--quite the mess at the dumping station as all the flow came through there rather than the affixed hose.
Noreen
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Well, if they can fix it properly and install abracket to prevent further problems, then I would go for it. It is not a pleasant job, trust me. I doubt they'd be overselling that one...
Old 07-26-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Did this part break?

Quote:
The whole waste valve assembly handle and all appears to have unglued itself from the pan
Noreen
Noreen,
Did the piece that came out look like this?

Click here for the Valve.

Or was it just the handle?

Can you take pictures?

The gray and black water tanks are tanks inside of tanks. They are done that way so you can use them in cold weather without their freezing. Heat is vented down there.

Did the waste come pouring out of a pipe on the outside of the tank or did the pipe slip out of the tank and the hole in the side of the tank have stuff come out of it?

Dan
Old 07-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4odm View Post
Noreen,
Did the piece that came out look like this?

Click here for the Valve.

Or was it just the handle?

Can you take pictures?

The gray and black water tanks are tanks inside of tanks. They are done that way so you can use them in cold weather without their freezing. Heat is vented down there.

Did the waste come pouring out of a pipe on the outside of the tank or did the pipe slip out of the tank and the hole in the side of the tank have stuff come out of it?

Dan

Hi Dan,

Not just the handle--the whole pipe piece (look like a black 3-4 in in dia elbo pipe with the handel that pulls out being on one side of it...including what hooks like a joint pipe with black group on the end of it that looked like it was holding it on to the tank. yes the waste came poruing out of a pipe on the outside of the tank. On the Bambi I think I just have a grey water and white water tank--this was to the grey water tank. My concern is I looked at another bambi and it did not look like the elbo pipe had a fitting on it--just a black band or goop holding it on. This local RV repair gu wants to put a fitting on can that hurt anything? What should I do? Looking for a pic on line but can not find one.

Noreen
Old 07-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Just the gray, that is good.

Quote:
Hi Dan,

just have a grey water and white water tank--this was to the grey water tank.
Noreen
The gray water spilling into the belly pan ( which is plastic) is not a problem. If it is the Black water tank then the whole belly pan needs to come down or be flushed out very good. Cleaning it out so it won't smell is important.

If we are talking about gray water spillage, and the unit were mine, I would want to cut an Access panel to re-attach the pipe. Since you have the hole in the side, where the pipe was, you should be able to see where the hole can be cut.
Here is a link to a "How-to" on cutting an access panel.

I know these Valves in this How-to are the white Thetford Valves and you have the Black Valterra but you get the idea on the access panel. Also, your plastic belly pan has the ridges for strength, and you don't want to cut across the ridges ( only cut the flat surface ) This How-to is dealing with a metal belly pan which does not have ridges.

By cutting an access panel in the belly pan you will be able to reattach the pipe to the tank with a hole clamp. Airstream puts one on there that is suppose to be permanent, but they do come lose from time to time. Once the pipe is back on, you can get some type of galvanized sheet metal and rivets put over the hole to keep the warm air in, and debris out. Don't drill deep and drill into the tank itself.

Also, having an access panel will allow you to replace the valves as they wear out over the years. Replaing the valves this alway easyer and cheaper than dropping the whole pan.

You may share this with your repair guy to see what he thinks.
Dan
Old 07-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4odm View Post
The gray water spilling into the belly pan ( which is plastic) is not a problem. If it is the Black water tank then the whole belly pan needs to come down or be flushed out very good. Cleaning it out so it won't smell is important.

If we are talking about gray water spillage, and the unit were mine, I would want to cut an Access panel to re-attach the pipe. Since you have the hole in the side, where the pipe was, you should be able to see where the hole can be cut.
Here is a link to a "How-to" on cutting an access panel.

I know these Valves in this How-to are the white Thetford Valves and you have the Black Valterra but you get the idea on the access panel. Also, your plastic belly pan has the ridges for strength, and you don't want to cut across the ridges ( only cut the flat surface ) This How-to is dealing with a metal belly pan which does not have ridges.

By cutting an access panel in the belly pan you will be able to reattach the pipe to the tank with a hole clamp. Airstream puts one on there that is suppose to be permanent, but they do come lose from time to time. Once the pipe is back on, you can get some type of galvanized sheet metal and rivets put over the hole to keep the warm air in, and debris out. Don't drill deep and drill into the tank itself.

Also, having an access panel will allow you to replace the valves as they wear out over the years. Replaing the valves this alway easyer and cheaper than dropping the whole pan.

You may share this with your repair guy to see what he thinks.
Dan
She has a combination grey/black tank.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Belly Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe View Post
She has a combination grey/black tank.
I would drop the whole Belly Pan so it can be cleaned.
Dan