Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
1970 27' Overlander
Salt Lake , Utah
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 20
Cap with hose bib

I bought mine at home depot
__________________

__________________
Oly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
DKAir's Avatar
 
2003 30' Classic S/O
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 41
Jammer, that chart was very helpful for this new Airstreamer. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
DKAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Just came across this thread and it maybe gives the answer to a problem I have just encountered.

I wanted to get a sewer cap with a standard hose pipe thread attachment so we could drain gray water into one of those collapsible water containers for disposal when we are at a site without hookups. It would save dragging the trailer to the dump site.

I thought I might have to make one up, but I found exactly the right looking thing at a local RV store - at lest I thought it was just right!

Bought it, took it to our trailer (in storage) to ensure that it would fit ok, and sure enough it does not fit!

The one I bought is made by Camco and is black plastic.

The existing cap on our trailer outlet is white plastic - not sure what make.

The one I bought seems to have the locking lugs on a slightly smaller diameter than our trailer has.


So having now found this thread, I'm thinking that maybe our trailer is fitted with the Thetford style couplings and that the black fitting I bought is teh Valterra standard. (although made by a company called Camco)

Our trailer is a 2005 Classic 30. Does it make sense that it would have the Thetford type fitting installed? Have AS now switched to Valterra on newer trailers than ours?

I will order the correct part in the Thetford style on line if that is what i need.

Actually, it looks as though for less monen that a Theford sewer cap with hose conection, I can buy a Thetford to Valterra adapter, and then the black cap with hose connection cap I have just bought should fit.

Unless of course there are more than two standards!! That would be just my luck!

Any advice?


Brian
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
ddstech's Avatar
 
1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 467
Images: 4
You have a thetford fitting. They do make what you are looking for, but if you found the adapter that may be the way to go. That way you can adapt to othe fittings and hoses.
__________________
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkroff View Post
You have a thetford fitting. They do make what you are looking for, but you will need to find a rv dealer that carries the thetford attachments and fittings.
Thanks for the info. I have found US suppliers on line that seem to sell what I need, but we plan to leave Canada for a trip south in two weeks, so it would be touch and go if I would receive the part before leaving home.

Guess I'll just have to look as we travel, maybe Camping World sells the Thetford stuff - I'll check their website.

Sounds like I won't likely find Thetford fittings at Wally World!


Brian
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #20
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,204
Images: 25
Brian,

Did you look around the RV dealers for it? That's a fairly common piece, IMHO. The one on my TT broke (well, I broke it) and I got another one at a non-AS dealer Kingston.

or phone Can-Am in London, ON and have them mail you one...?
__________________
“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
...John Wayne...........................
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Brian,

Did you look around the RV dealers for it? That's a fairly common piece, IMHO. The one on my TT broke (well, I broke it) and I got another one at a non-AS dealer Kingston.

or phone Can-Am in London, ON and have them mail you one...?


Great minds and all that!

I was thinking to call CanAm on Monday!

I'm due to order some replacement wheel bearing seals as well, so could combine shipping on one order if they have the sewer hose fitting adapter.

Brian.
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,101
I had the fortunate misfortune to replace the valves on the gray and black tanks...I went ahead and just replaced the whole shebang, from both tanks to a sweep connection to a common outlet with the black pipe...now I can use Valterra fittings...if I EVER have to do anything involving a black water tank again, I'm gonna pay someone to do it...lordy, what a stinkin' mess(4 trips to the commode with a 5 gallon bucket...)...my wife is, at least, talking to me again...and I have discovered that 'measure twice, cut once' applies ONLY if you take into account the 1/2" insert to connect the pipes...plastic pipes,are like copper or galvanized...THEY DON'T STRETCH!!! m
__________________
Michael & Tracy
1989 345 Motorhome
CHARTER MEMBERS: FOUR CORNERS UNIT, AND PROUD OF IT!!!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
I had the fortunate misfortune to replace the valves on the gray and black tanks...I went ahead and just replaced the whole shebang, from both tanks to a sweep connection to a common outlet with the black pipe...now I can use Valterra fittings...if I EVER have to do anything involving a black water tank again, I'm gonna pay someone to do it...lordy, what a stinkin' mess(4 trips to the commode with a 5 gallon bucket...)...my wife is, at least, talking to me again...and I have discovered that 'measure twice, cut once' applies ONLY if you take into account the 1/2" insert to connect the pipes...plastic pipes,are like copper or galvanized...THEY DON'T STRETCH!!! m
Wy wife says I'm an incurable pessimist - and she's right. I respond by telling her that by always expecting the worst, I only get pleasant surprises!

I'm just waiting for the day when I pull the handle on the black tank and it just pulls out of the valve blade leaving the tank full!

I'm really not sure what I would do at that point to resolve the situation! Airstream seem to have made the situation worse by enclosing the tank valves. I suppose that to get at the valves the easiest thing would be to cut an access hatch in the the sheet metal - carefully!

If there is any small consolation, it is that ever since we started RV-ing many many years ago, I have set a house rule that we only "pee" in the trailer toilet!

Brian.
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,101
My wife gets the toilet, I get the bottle...by the way(ok, ok,...BTW, if you text-I don't), I do have an extra handle that kinda just kept coming when I pulled on it...
it's yours if you want it, but it's in Colorado and I'm in Arizona...I could send you directions...
__________________
Michael & Tracy
1989 345 Motorhome
CHARTER MEMBERS: FOUR CORNERS UNIT, AND PROUD OF IT!!!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
My wife gets the toilet, I get the bottle...by the way(ok, ok,...BTW, if you text-I don't), I do have an extra handle that kinda just kept coming when I pulled on it...
it's yours if you want it, but it's in Colorado and I'm in Arizona...I could send you directions...
So, if I understand, you actually did have the situation where the handle pulled out and left the black tank full?

How did you manage to empty the tank in order to change the valve assembly?


Did you get someone with equipt. to empty via the toilet, or did you somehow get the slide valve to open even without the handle?

I need to know so's I'll be ready when it is my turn!

Brian.
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,101
Brian,
You asked...you get...but it ain't pretty...think Robin Williams in his RV movie...

The handle pulled out, and there was a stream coming out the small hole, till it plugged with...well...it plugged. I was thinking I only had about 3-4 gallons of effluvia, but these estimations were a fluid guess...I had the 5 gal bucket under the drain, and it filled at an alarming rate...overfilled, actually...so I had to cap it off in mid-gush...I got to do this 3 more times till the flow became an ooze...I hosed myself and the gravel driveway down, stripped on the back deck, and took a shower till the hot water was used up...in Silverton, cold water out of the tap is about 34 degrees, so that just added to my already pleasant disposition...talk about throwing it in the fan when yer standing in front of it...I can almost smile about it now(I think it's called a rueful chuckle), but I won't try it again...EVER. My sinuses will never be the same, and if I wasn't already bent, I'd probably be doing therapy...I sincerely hope it will never be "your turn"...mike
__________________
Michael & Tracy
1989 345 Motorhome
CHARTER MEMBERS: FOUR CORNERS UNIT, AND PROUD OF IT!!!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
68 TWind's Avatar
 
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,420
VTS has the Thedford cap that has a fitting for a hose to screw on. I use one my 68.

Thetford Garden Hose Adapter
__________________
__________________
Bruce & Rachel
__________________
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2 View Post
Brian,
You asked...you get...but it ain't pretty...think Robin Williams in his RV movie...

The handle pulled out, and there was a stream coming out the small hole, till it plugged with...well...it plugged. I was thinking I only had about 3-4 gallons of effluvia, but these estimations were a fluid guess...I had the 5 gal bucket under the drain, and it filled at an alarming rate...overfilled, actually...so I had to cap it off in mid-gush...I got to do this 3 more times till the flow became an ooze...I hosed myself and the gravel driveway down, stripped on the back deck, and took a shower till the hot water was used up...in Silverton, cold water out of the tap is about 34 degrees, so that just added to my already pleasant disposition...talk about throwing it in the fan when yer standing in front of it...I can almost smile about it now(I think it's called a rueful chuckle), but I won't try it again...EVER. My sinuses will never be the same, and if I wasn't already bent, I'd probably be doing therapy...I sincerely hope it will never be "your turn"...mike

Wow, I think I'll invest in some of that stuff that is supposed to lubricate the slide valves! (Wonder what that stuff is and if there is a home remedy that does the same thing?)

Anyway, what I was specifically wondering about was how do you get the blade of the valve to open in order to dump the tank once the handle & rod have pulled out of the blade?


Brian.
__________________

__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fittings, waste cap


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'74 Excella Rebuild - The new chassis DanielB 1973-1974 Excella 500 359 11-04-2013 03:02 PM
Aluminum Water Hose Al - K4GLU Fresh Water Systems 14 02-05-2011 06:47 AM
Before I remove bath end cap Breadbug Ribs, Skins & Rivets 3 01-27-2011 02:03 PM
Aluminum end cap? Breadbug General Interior Topics 1 01-27-2011 10:54 AM
Keep or not? Interior end cap. Breadbug General Interior Topics 1 01-18-2011 05:42 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.