Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Skype™ to u2bewell
Need to replace my black water valve/ broken bolt 71 Overlander

My black water tank valve broke on my 1971 Overlander 27'.
It was getting very hard to open like frozen and i had bought a new part valve getting ready to tackle the problem, The 4 bolts holding the valves were frozen so I have been spraying w40 on it for a few days to losen them up. Last night I went to pry the tank emptied one more time but the top handle finally broke when I tried to close it again so its time to change the valve, unfortunately 3 bolts behave nicely and the 4ft one broke like butter leaving the screw part in.
Its of course the hardest one to access. lower left corner. The whole valve is on the lower back left side of the Airtsream
I am a woman with small hands and barely could access it.
Will I be able to pry that valve out of there with just 3 screws removed and then what? Should I try to somehow cut the whole plumbing pipes and figure out a way to replace, its such a tight space....
I live full time in my aArtsream.
please help! thank you. Elizabeth Cell 707 479-5473
u2bewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I think you might find that to remove the 4th screw (which I feel is absolutely necessary to replace the valve) you will have to remove the black tank.

That's because in order to be able to get the broken screw out, you will need to use a "reverse tap". The reverse tap is inserted into a hole you drill in what's left of the old screw, and it then turns counter-clockwise, the reverse direction to the original screw.

I'm thinking that from my description, you can imagine that you will probably have to drop the belly skin, or at least a good part of it. I'm not sure how cutting other plumbing off will help you get at the broken screw, but of course, I can't see your installation.

The whole thing is probably something that could be done in a day, but if you want to do it yourself, that may not be the case. Learning on the job isn't always the fastest way to get things done.

I hope you have an alternate 'loo to use while yours is out of service.

Tags
plumbing, black tank