Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Need to remove a 1966 GT Black Tank

I did a search, but could not find my answer. The black tank in my 1966 GT has a crack across the top. What's the best/easy way to remove the tank? Looks like you would take off the toilet and drain hose connections and slide it out from the closet. It's the same setup as the Caravel. Any help would be great!

Paul Waddell
WDCU Prez (In the words of Richard Nixon "I'm not a crook")
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Oh my!

I am not sure... but it seems to me that removing items in the bathroom often winds up to be major work. On vintage Airstreams the bathrooms go in first...so one might have to remove interior walls, goucho, etc. Does your black tank sit above the floor with the toilet on top of that? You might be able to remove the toilet and repair the tank with fiberglass... I would suggest you post some pictures if you can take some. Might help good suggestions from people really in the know!

Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
TW black tank

Yeah, I got to replace my black tank too. However, I believe my bathroom, a rear, is different from a GT. I have not found anything...yet...in the Search section of somebody elses experience doing this. I have looked over my situation and I think I will remove the tank from underneath. Part of my decision 'lays', figuratively and literally, is because of recent hip replacements it is safer for me to lay on my back under the trailer than to kneel down in the bathroom. The biggest hurdle may be removing the toilet. I am not sure if it will go out the back through the access door. Other wise I may be forced to pull out the 'bunker' that the toilet sits in. Would anyone recommend replacing the toilet with a free standing one and eliminat the 'bunker'?

Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
HI Paul, To remove the black tank you need to remove the closet and possibly the couch. I am not to sure about the GT. I believe it would be basically the same as a Caravel. You'll need enough space to slide the tank out from under the shower pan. I had a heck of a time getting the fittings off of the top of the tank. I ended up cutting them off, since I was getting a new tank made I didn't really care about that anyway. I had mine custom made at a place here in town. I increased the size to 11 gallons. It now extends into the bottom of the closet. When I put it back in I put a 3/4 " piece of marine grade plywood on top to make the toilet more stable. So far I have had no problems with it.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Black tank replacement in the small 66's.(others?)

Reference the tank discussion in Sub Forems "Caravel."

My last post...

I have the broken black water tank out of the Caravel.....and it was relatively easy. No major disassembly as was the prog. Major bucks saved and down time will depend on tank replacement.
1. Remove the bottom aft belly skin. 57" by 27"....no big deal. Besides now you have a chance to do some serious inspecting, valve work, insulation, etc.
(About 10 minutes.)
2. Drain water from toilet and tank. (about 2 minutes)
3. Loosen four attach bolts for the dump valve and free it up from bottom of tank. Removal not necessary. (about 2 minutes)
4. Remove sprayer from its attach and store it in the sink.( About 2 minutes)
5. Disconnect the water to the toilet inlet. (one minute)
6. Unbolt toilet bowl from its mount. Four bolts, 1/2 inch. Mine were rusted to worthlesness and I had to hacksaw them off. Remove and store toilet out of the way.(20 minutes with the sawing.)
6a. Unscrew and remove the toilet flange from top of tank. I made a "tool" by taking a 1 foot 1 x 1 1/2 x 12 board, drilled two 1/4 inch holes six inches apart and inserting a 1/4 x 2 inch bolt thru each hole. Then used this as my spanner wrench to unscrew the flange. (10 minutes)
7. Detach the tank end of the vent tube. Cut the tube off about three feet up the vertical run. Leave room for a coupler when re- attaching.
Remove and store this section. (3-4 minutes)
8. There are two 1 x 1 1/2 x 18 inch boards used as floor to tank braces laying across the tank top...tightly in place. Remove them...I used a hooked prybar.
9. Slide the tank into the closet and tilt it upward when able. Be sure the drain attach fitting is clear at bottom when doing this. It comes right out.
(3 minutes.)
10. Installation is next...pictures to follow. Sure beats pulling whole bath
and interior.

Good luck on it.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Thats what I as looking for!!

Melody Ranch,

You RULE!!!!!!

Can't wait to see the pics and the install or does that come from me??

Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags