Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 08:38 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Fallbrook , California
Question Need Some Tank Help

We are 'newbies' to the world of trailering -- bought a 2014 23' Flying Cloud last year and have used it for just one trip. We stayed in a place that had toilets/showers, so didn't use black tank. This next trip, we need to.

I have read owner's manual (novel?), but going back to it is daunting.

Can anyone give me a step-by-step breakdown of what needs to be done in preparation, and for a trip, then - how best to drain. We believe we have all the 'pieces & parts' and materials for this.

Thank you.
LeslieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Just what I do....

Travel with fresh tank full, trailer is more stabile with lower C.G.

Black tank.... start with several gal of water and your chemical of choice.

Do not leave Black Tank valve open when using full hook-up, empty only when near full. Black tank first then grey to partially flush the stuff.

Disposable nitrile gloves.
If no line at the dump station and good water pressure I will close the BT valve and use the on-board flush & re-dump.

I do not put chemicals in the tank w/o adding at least 3gal of water, a 1/4 cup of Dawn once in awhile seems to help also.

I did do this procedure three years ago, haven't had to repeat it since.

Take your time...even with others in line. A mistake could make it very unpleasant for those 'behind' you.

If you have a convenient station close to home, I've found that traveling with a partially full black tank helps a lot in preventing "black tank constipation".

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
EXACTLY what Robert Cross said. Do not rush. In fact for the first few times if you can secure a full hook-up site, ie water, electric and sewer you can "practice" dumping right at your site with no others waiting. After 40 years of camping we often do this anyway.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote