Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Need pics to solve a leak problem!

OK, folks... Calling all vintage owners (around 1970). I've recently acquired a leak, somewhere in the grey water line... I'm thinking close to the area where it joins the waste valve.

There's some water that accumulates in our bumper storage area when the fresh water tank is in use. Problem is... I don't know how to access it to figure it out.

Anybody have any pictures showing the connections down there? And how do I get to it?
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTsafari View Post
OK, folks... Calling all vintage owners (around 1970). I've recently acquired a leak, somewhere in the grey water line... I'm thinking close to the area where it joins the waste valve.

There's some water that accumulates in our bumper storage area when the fresh water tank is in use. Problem is... I don't know how to access it to figure it out.

Anybody have any pictures showing the connections down there? And how do I get to it?
A 1972 service manual would be a great help to you.

The 70, 71, 72, and 73 models are basically the same.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTsafari View Post

All of your plumbing and drain lines should be inside the rear trunk area except for a section of the feed line for the fresh water hook up and the drain line for the black/gray water. Have you checked to be sure your not just getting a small leak from the drain line hook up. Sometimes mine will weep a little when we have the water hose drain adaptor cap on it. That will drip down into the bumper storage area and drain out through the "trap door" in the bottom.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
On my '77 Safari, removing the bumper and trunk give me good visual access to the tank drain valves.

Remove the bumper - 4 bolts,
Bend the belly pan down
Pull the Plastic Trunk out - there's a drain hose you have to pull out with it.

This will give you visual access to the tanks and valves, if you need to do repairs you will have to pull the rear belly pan. Sorry I don't have a picture.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
All of your plumbing and drain lines should be inside the rear trunk area except for a section of the feed line for the fresh water hook up and the drain line for the black/gray water. Have you checked to be sure your not just getting a small leak from the drain line hook up. Sometimes mine will weep a little when we have the water hose drain adaptor cap on it. That will drip down into the bumper storage area and drain out through the "trap door" in the bottom.
And I forgot - the water line drain tube is there also. So, a bad washer in one of the two drain valves could be the other cause.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote