Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
pensacola , Florida
need help with dump valve? (new at this)

Hey gang in my 73 argosy 24 we purchased the remodel is going good. We are doing a 50 diner/retro theme with boomerrang counter tops and interior will be similar to something from ARC. Any how with that being said I am starting on bath and plum. So here is my stupid ? I am not sure how to drain black tank my drain handle seems tohave been rigged from previous owner and I am not sure to pull or twist the valve being I have never done one before. So please treat me like a idiot so tell me the dumb answers too. lol Also I found a small clear tank under sink in bath I know that mine did not come with grey tank is that a extra clear water tank for rear sink? THANKS
newtothis73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
HI - While I don;t know what the PO may have done, ours is a straight pull to drain the black tank. If it's not budging it could be stuck - especially if it's old and was stored with the black tank still full or partially full. You may want to shine a light down the toilet hole and investigate....

If it was stored full, try doing a search for stuck dump valve and see what pops up.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Tennille , Georgia
Hi- I'm very new to this, so I haven't got any answers for you. However, I'd like to say that I also have the same idea of turning our new/used Airstream into a 50's style diner. Would you have pics of your progress?
Capt Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Try this

On my '74 26' Argosy, both the grey and black water valves pull out to dump, no twisting. It has a T handle that when closed there are wire loops that hook over the handle to prevent unscheduled openings. There was no telling how long it had been since they were operated. I put enough water in both tanks to make sure the valve seal was in liquid, thinking it would help lubricate the seal a little. Then I just started by pulling the valve hand with some amount of force, but not so much that I thought it would break. If it moved a little, I would push it back in, then out and in until it was free and would move the way it should. At times it took a little tapping to get it to go back in. I tapped gently until it moved.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote