Old 07-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
Need Help Removing Black Water Tank 73 Tradewind

Renovating 1973 Trade Wind 25' with rear bath. We have the bathroom out except for the black water tank. Any suggestions on how to get it out? Being held in under the tank. Should we cut the plumbing vent pipe so we can spin the tank somehow?

Old 07-05-2016, 09:46 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
I did this on our '74 just over a week ago... The tank has three or four screw tabs that held it to the floor; the vent pipe (which I cut and discarded), the sensor wires, and then there is the wedge shaped 'sump' that goes through the floor and ends in the 3 inch flange to the dump valve. The previous owner had at some point "repaired" something related to the black tank and had cut the black PVC pipe just after the dump valve. To restore functionality, they had then slid a section of car tire inner tube of about 4" diameter over the cut ends of the PVC pipe and used large hose clamps to seal off their mess.

So I was able to remove their repair, then undo the other large hose clamps that attached the dump valve to the tank, and then pull the dump valve off the tank. Then it took some prying with a crowbar to get the tank off the floor (from above) because they'd sealed gaps between the tank and the floor with expanding urethane foam.

If you don't want to cut the PVC plumbing, you need to at least remove the hose clamps holding the dump valve flange to the black tank, and cut the short section of 3" rubber hose that connects the tank to the dump valve.

By the way: do not use expanding urethane foam to seal that tank against the wood floor... the foam attached to the tank but in any place there was even a small gap, it trapped water and allowed the tank to start rusting. In other places there was still enough of a gap to allow water to wick between the floor and the tank, where it then caused the tank to rust (and the floor to rot). Big mess.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
It's that part that goes into the floor that we are having issues with. Only pulls up an inch or so, so connected to something under the subfloor. This evening we are going to look to see if we can access it through the rear bumper toolbox. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know
Old 07-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #4

1971 18' Caravel
denver , Colorado
water tank removal

Hi, I joined this site to see if you have found a solution to removing your black water tank. Did you end up destroying it or something more civilized? I have a similar situation in my '71 Caravel 18. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you..
Old 07-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieLori View Post
It's that part that goes into the floor that we are having issues with. Only pulls up an inch or so, so connected to something under the subfloor. This evening we are going to look to see if we can access it through the rear bumper toolbox. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know
It's connected to the waste piping under the floor. You have to remove the sheetmetal belly pan from under the frame in that area to get access to the various clamps and screws that hold things together under there.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:21 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
We cut through pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahcomp View Post
Hi, I joined this site to see if you have found a solution to removing your black water tank. Did you end up destroying it or something more civilized? I have a similar situation in my '71 Caravel 18. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you..
We ended up taking off the aluminum belly and then Chris cut through a short pipe below the valve. He was then able to lift it up from the inside. His plan was just to glue on a new piece to the cut pipe. Turns out my valve is cracked anyway so it will need to be replaced. I think the tank itself is OK though.

We are still in the early stages of this restoration though. We haven't reached the point where we will be doing new plumbing or even subfloors yet.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
hallsville , Missouri
above floor black tank

Gutting a 1973 Sovereign center bath.I have removed my toilet, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to remove the black tank. There is a plastic/wood cover that appears to be attached to the tank under the flange. How do I get the flange off? I can crowbar it out if need be, I'm switching to a composting toilet, but I would prefer to keep everything intact so someone else could use it.
Thanks!
Mo Jones.

Edit- I just realized that it must be attached to a drain line. Do I have to wait until I drop the belly pan to get the tank out?
Old 09-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #8

1973 31' Sovereign
santa fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by themostream View Post
Gutting a 1973 Sovereign center bath.I have removed my toilet, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to remove the black tank. There is a plastic/wood cover that appears to be attached to the tank under the flange. How do I get the flange off? I can crowbar it out if need be, I'm switching to a composting toilet, but I would prefer to keep everything intact so someone else could use it.
Thanks!
Mo Jones.

Edit- I just realized that it must be attached to a drain line. Do I have to wait until I drop the belly pan to get the tank out?

Did you every figure out how to remove the black tank? I am having the same problem.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

1973 31' Sovereign
santa fe , New Mexico
Did you every figure out how to remove the black water tank? Please share how you did it. I am struggling as well.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:13 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
Take off belly pan

Chris removed that back portion of the belly pan and then cut a short black pipe that held it in. Things kind of cracked so we have to replace it all anyway now
Old 09-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #11

1971 18' Caravel
denver , Colorado
I partially removed the banana wrap and removed several screws and was able to lift the tank out from above. Without detaching it from underneath would have been a much tougher job. Good luck!