Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1988 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Georgia
Need flange for my toilet-b/w tank

My '68 20' Globetrotter is sandblasted and ready for welding repairs. But before I make plans to reuse the existing b/w tank, I need to make sure I can rebuild the EZ slide valve (not to worried about valve, should be no problem to find kit). However, I need to find the flange that is pictured below. I don't know if it is standard or if there is a replacement etc.
Any help and direction locating the flange would be appreciated.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0519.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	17827   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0521.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	17828  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0520.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	17829  
68Glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi Dan, I have a couple questions. How did you get that off of the black tank ? Did it break off ? Mine would not budge from the tank. I ended up cutting it off. Since the tank was shot that didn't bother me too much.

Oh yeah, I have a 1965 Caravel. Should be pretty much the same I would think.

I had a new custom tank made. I used a new rubber gasket that fits into the hole on the tank and a flange that has internal threads on it and a very short piece of threaded 3 inch sewer pipe. The pipe slips into the gasket and forms a watertight seal. The rubber gasket has a groove around the outside that the tank fits into to form the seal. If I can find a picture of it I'll post it here. I found my flange at the local hardware store. I found the gasket at an Rv shop. Be ready to do a little modification to get everything to fit just right. I hope this helps. If ya have any questions, ask away.

Chris

Click on links below for pics of the gasket and flange.
Pic of the Gasket
Pic of the flange I used
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Dan,

The black closet flange featured in two of your pictures is available at RV repair stores. While they will sell different versions, all of them have the same thread pitch on a three inch OD pipe. Mine came from Reed Camper Sales.

Of note, my original closet flange, which was replaced because the metal portion of it had rusted away, would not have worked with the modern day toilet purchased for the return to camping.

My apologies for misunderstanding your previous email on the part - I thought you needed to replace what another member called the "collector".

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
Dan- I just bought that exact flange on ebay- Paid $4.99 plus shipping, look under toilets, mobile home parts etc for search engines. John
Johndigbydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

The flange is the easy part. Most RV supply stores have them either with internal or external 3" pipe threads. Tough part of getting the repair kit for the slide valve. Thetford quit making that model years ago and the newer model takes different parts. Very expensive, too. If you're replacing any other plumbing around the drain side if the tank, you might consider using Valtera slide valve and fittings. Oh, I know it's not AIRSTREAM, but they are much cheaper, much more available, much easier to rebuild, and will fit other brands of connector parts. (Thetford only fits Thetford.) I notice that new Airstreams are using Valtera type slide valves, so consider it an upgrade. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Good Point Darol, I also replaced all of the Thetford with Valterra on my AS as well. More versital and more available.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:44 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1988 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Georgia
Thanks all

my mission this week has been laid out thanks to all of your suggestions. I'll report back at the end of week on my findings. (Unfortunately I have to do some work at my paying job)
Chris,
I was lucky in that when I purchased my AS it had not been used for years and the tank was mostly dry and clean. So I heated the flange just a little, then took a flat pc of metal and tapped the flange in the counterclkwise direction. It was impossible to get off without tapping BUT if I had been more patient and not hit it so hard just once(and I did not hit i hard when it snapped), I would have saved it. My advice (which as you can see might not be all that great) would be to keep heating the flange (if you can take the smell) until you can turn it by hand or heat and tap.....gently, until loose.

Thanks again Forum,
Dan
Old 01-24-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1988 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Georgia
My low point, it's all mute for the b/w tank

I took the Slide Ez- Valve apart to fix the O-Ring and found a sorry patch job where PO had ripped the tank maybe when replacing or repairing valve. Then it was filled with putty and it probably had a small leak. That's why my pan was so bad and why my rear frame is so bad and...why my tank was so clean and dry. So I really don't need to repair valve or flange for a '68 b/w tank but now I must find a new tank with all new fittings. Ka-ching$$$.
At least I'll have peace of mind and I can tell people where and how to find a new b/w tank.
Beer time!
Dan