Old 05-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
It is definately everyones nightmare! Sorry it had to be yours that day. That's what campin' stories are made of.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
So, I've been thinking about installing a small air pump to pressurize the black tank just before we dump, to speed things up. It should be a real hit with those long lines if I can dump in 3 seconds. Any opinions?

Seriously, I'm sorry that happened to you! I think you did as much as any of the rest of us would have done. Here's hoping no one has to go through that again any time soon!

sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Were you in a bikini?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
Were you in a bikini?
Now that would have been a sweet addition.

I could have even brought out my pool float and made a margaritta just to show the Lemon scented bleach cleaned it all up!

Laura
Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #33
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I think that must be like 'running aground' is for a sailor. There are those who have, and those who have not yet.
I was thinking of carrying a can of green spray paint and a bottle of PineSol if I ever had to camo the paper bits and make a clean getaway...
Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I would have urinated on the whole thing.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #35
one of those

2011 27 FB International
....just added 'green food dye' to the list of supplies I want to pick up. Whoever decided to make that stuff for the tank blue, anyhow? haven't they ever heard of John Deere Green?

because after all...

"Accidents will happen..."
(E. Costello)
Old 05-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #36
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
I just have to hire this film..made me laugh so much..trouble was it put me off my tea..
my sandwich has been put to one side for later..or never..love the music wonder what it is ...
Old 05-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
You did great, one can only play the cards they are delt, even if it is Sir John's Crappers hand that one is delt...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
And there was once a fellow Airstreamer who misunderstood the location of the dump station, saw the white PVC cap, and began to dump, only to find out that that the cap was not for a dump station, but a shut off valve...

Can we say "back pressure"? Then while imagining the horror of his realization of what he had done, to then only realize that the pressure of all those gallons gushing out was causing the sewer hose to whip around, like an out of control garden hose...

Then, in order to control the "spraying drama" coming out, he gallantly tries to step on the hose to reduce the flow and whipping motion, only to discover that he is too far away to reach the dump valve to shut it off....

Now then realize that this newly discovered shut off valve hidden under a PVC cap is on high ground, and in all the commotion, other campers downhill have realized the impending flood heading their way... Whirlwind of folks rolling up their rugs, picking up their chairs and other incidentals to get out of the way...

See, it could be worse...
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
And there was once a fellow Airstreamer who misunderstood the location of the dump station, saw the white PVC cap, and began to dump, only to find out that that the cap was not for a dump station, but a shut off valve...

Can we say "back pressure"? Then while imagining the horror of his realization of what he had done, to then only realize that the pressure of all those gallons gushing out was causing the sewer hose to whip around, like an out of control garden hose...

Then, in order to control the "spraying drama" coming out, he gallantly tries to step on the hose to reduce the flow and whipping motion, only to discover that he is too far away to reach the dump valve to shut it off....

Now then realize that this newly discovered shut off valve hidden under a PVC cap is on high ground, and in all the commotion, other campers downhill have realized the impending flood heading their way... Whirlwind of folks rolling up their rugs, picking up their chairs and other incidentals to get out of the way...

See, it could be worse...
Okay, it could be a lot worse. Thanks for making me feel better! Though I imagine someone, somewhere is recanting my story around the water cooler (or dump station) and getting some laughs too.

Laura
Old 05-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #40
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2000 30' Limited
Austin , Texas
Your experience is my nightmare and I have to admit I was laughing while reading much of this thread. I think it was a nervous laugh. Thank you all for sharing.

You are right about finding something online about decontamination. I thought you did well in your “hot zone” decontamination.

Ok, do you want to know about surface decontamination? Are you ready? This is a link to a document providing decontamination in biological laboratories, where they work with very bad critters. The theory is there but remember smooth surface contamination is different than that of concrete. Ok, there is a ton of theory but it may answer your questions about decontamination or create more. Sorry if it creates more. See page 332.
http://www.cdc.gov/biosafety/publica..._appendixB.pdf

I thought this chicken document from UC was fun and interesting (not quite a dump station!):
http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/avian/pfs27.htm

Some details in this document include:
· Chlorine compounds are good disinfectants on clean surfaces, but are quickly inactivated by dirt. Chlorine is effective against bacteria and many viruses. These compounds are also much more active in warm water than in cold water. Chlorine solutions can be somewhat irritating to skin and corrosive to metal. They are relatively inexpensive. Examples: Clorox, Chloramine-T, and Halazone.

· Hydrogen peroxide and other oxidizing agents, like peracetic acid and propionic acids or acid peroxygen systems are used in commercial poultry operations. They are active against bacteria, bacterial spores, viruses, and fungi at quite low concentrations.

The natural forces that reduce the pathogen load in the environment are important and can often be used to our advantage. These include sunlight, heat, cold, drying (desiccation – kitty litter) and agitation. The ultraviolet rays of sunlight are tremendously potent in killing microorganisms. This is very helpful outside of buildings, but unfortunately the ultraviolet rays can't pass through glass or roofs or dust. Drying from fresh air and wind will also kill pathogens, particularly when they are exposed in the process of cleaning. In soil, microorganisms that do not cause disease (nonpathogenic bacteria and fungi) produce substances that inhibit the growth or kill pathogenic organisms. Extremes of temperature (below freezing or above 85oF) will kill microorganisms, although susceptibility to temperature changes varies widely.

My nerdy self thought you needed to know! Enjoy and ditch the flip flops AND double glove!
AIR #12075
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Laura,

Did you offer to shake the MoHo guy's hand?

I hate the slinky with the removable ends. We made the mistake of buying one of those at first. The ends come off in mid dump or leak. Then we bought a slinky with the ends glued on—brand name Revolution, made by Camco. We found it at Walmart for an approx. 20' one and bought another 10' from Amazon. Sometimes you need a really long hose, for ex., at the Terraport at JC. Works well. And yes, we have a Flush King for flushing the tank—you can watch your personal matter flow through to make sure the tank is clean, though I think they never get completely clean.

This is not one of the pleasant aspects of RV's. The MoHo guy has to do it too and some day his time will come. I hope a lot of people are watching. For some reason, I have been appointed sewer guy. I am unsure how husbands get this job, but it does mean I can relax while Barb is cooking and say when she asks me to help, "I didn't wash my hands after I did the sewer job, where's the food?" She hands me the soap and directs me to the bathroom. This approach never works, but I keep trying.

One more thing: to see where the bathroom sink drains, turn on the water, open the toilet flapper and listen for water coming into the tank. If you hear it, it probably goes into the black tank. I think I did that to check several years ago.

Gene
Old 05-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #42
one of those

2011 27 FB International
camo toilet paper....that's the ticket!! We need new colors!! Something other than white...We need Roadside Sand.....Pine Straw Brown, Gravel Gray, Woodland Camo....Putting Green.....Concrete...Blacktop...