Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1974 29' Ambassador
1971 31' Sovereign
Klickitat , Washington
Missing sewer fitting - what's best to do?

Just got a new-to-me 71 Sovereign from a resort where it had been hooked up as a rental. The sewer outlet has no fitting for a hose - I assume the po just used a clamp to hold the sewer hose on. Currently, the sewer outlet pipe has a black sewer drain plug in place.

This airstream will be parked for the foreseeable future, to be used as a living space. Can I get the fitting for the sewer outlet, and how should it be attached? Would either a Thetford or Valterra fitting fit on the pipe? Is the clamped sewer hose an adequate connection for a non-mobile AS, or would it be a problem if I wanted to flush the tank thoroughly?

And, I'd appreciate any hints as to the best way to handle the fix. Haven't had to delve into this particular system before.

jacqueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
if you are leaving it hooked up, i would use a fernco connector and hard pipe it to sewer,weed wackers are hard on flex hoses.

easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Originally your trailer had a Thetford fitting at the end of the pipe. Sounds like the PO removed it and put a threaded drain cap (?) on the end. If you are not traveling a clamp and a hose would work fine. If you travel I would put a Valterra fitting on the pipe. The parts are easier to find and some dumps leave a hose for you to hookup (always a Valterra).

I did find one place, The RV Pit Stop in Quartzite, AZ that had a Thetford adapter as well.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If your trailer was permanently moored, the holding tanks may have been removed. IF that happened, look to make sure there is a trap, or bend, somewhere in the drain plumbing before the outlet. If there isn't one, sewer gas can (and probably will) travel up the pipe, and smell really bad.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote