Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Missing Bathroom

Hello all,

I just bought a 1962 Tradewind, and this is my first post. The trailer is in remarkably good condition considering maintenance in recent decades has obviously been minimal. Almost everything in the trailer is intact and in good condition except the bathroom. All that is in there is the shower pan, and it's also in pretty good shape.

So, I've been searching all over the place trying to figure out how this should be plumbed. The water supply issues are pretty simple. I don't think I need any help in that area. There are two 1.5-inch abs pipes sawed off at the floor near the shower, and there is a square hole in the floor near where the toilet should go. Also, the belly pan under the toilet is missing. From pictures I've seen of complete bathrooms, I assume that the black tank on these must have been above the floor, under the platforms that the toilet and sink sit on. Is that correct? If so, the square hole must be for a black water drain. So far, I've been unable to find any pictures of the drains on these trailers, so I have no idea how this should look underneath the trailer. I assume the cut off abs pipes must have something to do with gray water drains, but given their location, I don't see how they could have drained into the black tank. Are they supposed to be connected to the black tank?

If anyone has any photos, diagrams, guidance, or ideas, I'd be eternally grateful for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-6-12 062.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	157578   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-6-12 020.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	157579  

Name:	4-6-12 033.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	157580  
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
If I would venture a guess you had an above the floor tank, fiberglass that the toilet bolted to (that's what our 63 has). Looks like the sink/vanity was in the middle section, the two pipes coming up, 1 is the vent line for the tub drain, the other is the drain for the sink. Both those lines should meet up with dump valve in the belly pan (under the floor) where that square is cut. You could get a tank that will fit and build a plywood floor over it, even wrap it in metal. Our trailer is a mirror image (tub on passanger side, toilet on the drivers side, but here's a few pictures to help out hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pipelocations.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	157585   Click image for larger version

Name:	pipelocations2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	157586  

Name:	936c_3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	157588  
Attached Images

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Thanks Scott and Megan, that helps a lot. I think I can figure out the above floor works from this. I'm still unsure how the tank drain configuration should be.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Off the bottom of the tank you'll mount a valve with a collector on it. See Valterra RV Sewer Waste Valve Assy T11 3" X 1 1/2 | eBay

That ABS that is cut off right now for you flush with the floor would connect into the 1 1/2 pipe that Y's into that valve. The valve itself will bolt or glue to your new above floor tank.

The challenge you will find is that your trailer is probably all 1 1/4 ABS, not the standard 1 1/2. If you find an old RV shop you may find they still carry the 1 1/4 pipe and fittings, or you can use 1 1/4 PVC and use the special glue meant for connecting dissimiliar plastic pipe (green stuff). I ended up doing both of those, bought out all 1 1/4 ABS I could find then finished up with PVC. If you use that valve from the link above, you'll simply have to glue a 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 bushing into it.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Here's how my '63 Overlander is layed out...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...tml#post930491

Blank tank is above the floor, toilet bolted directly to it. The dump valve is bolted to the bottom from under the floor.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Paris , Ohio
Hello, I just gutted a 63 overlander, and have the complete bath. Tub was on the right side. The black water tank was above the floor, I left it in the trailer. The problem is I am in Ohio. If I can help let me know. Good luck, and enjoy your trailer, Paul
trapperman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Paul, not to hijack the thread but sent you a PM about any possible interior parts from the 63 you might have, particularly a Tappan range, any original lights, cabinet hardware etc.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Thanks Scott and Megan, that valve looks like the ticket, and I'll start looking for 1 1/4" fittings. I wasn't aware that that was likely to be an issue.

Paul, I'd love to do some parts tradin', but Ohio is a long way from Wyoming. If I get in a bind I may contact you.

Holy Cow Vernon. What an amazing project! I learned a lot by just skimming through that single thread. I had initially intended to do much of what you're doing to your trailer; sort of a retro-mod approach. However, after I started digging into the trailer (I've only had it two days) I'm thinking I should try to keep it as original as possible because except for the bathroom, most everything is in great shape. All the woodwork just needs light sanding and some oil. All the appliances are original and look like they're in great shape (I don't know if they work yet). So I was going to reseal the windows, replace the flooring, and reupholster. However, electrical is a big unknown. I want to add an air-conditioner, and I'm sure the existing wiring won't support that. So, to do that, I may have to pull the interior skin, and the whole project moves into a complete different dimension. Your project is great inspiration.