Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post

FYI - one bad Micro Pulse sensor will disable the system. The one that most often fails is the black water sensor. Unplug the sensors one at a time. Restart the panel each time to see if it works.
On our Airstream the rest of system will work just fine with a single sensor failure. If you get a bad wire or an electrical disconnect within the sensor it will just fail to illuminate the affected bar graph on the monitor. When a sensor plugs on the black water tank the monitor just tends to read incorrectly....
Bruce

Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
MicroPulse System not working

Well, the dealer had to cut an access hole to get to the grey water tank sensor. The tech said the sensor came out in two pieces. He replaced it and covered the opening with material like the outside of the trailer. I can see it was caulked and riveted in place. Looks like a good job, but not what I wanted on my new trailer. I should have told them not to replace it but I was not aware of the repair plan. So it goes.
Also they replaced the transfer switch. The factory sent a new one so I hope it lasts, but I am not sure it is any different.
Thanks for the replies.
Rick

Old 03-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Our Black tank sensor did not work on our first trip with the new AS Classic. It only registered empty.

I followed the instructions on how to calibrate a single sensor. I had ro read and re-read the instructions a couple of times. The manual was pretty clear and showed the LED location for calibration.

After resetting and calibrating the black sensor (first for empty, then full) the sensor is working perfectly.

We had problems with the black tank sensor on our 2006 Safari -- after replacing the black tank sensor (and sealing the connector with silicone) we had 6 years of trouble free use.

Hope this helps.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
Well, the dealer had to cut an access hole to get to the grey water tank sensor. The tech said the sensor came out in two pieces. He replaced it and covered the opening with material like the outside of the trailer. I can see it was caulked and riveted in place. Looks like a good job, but not what I wanted on my new trailer. I should have told them not to replace it but I was not aware of the repair plan. So it goes.
Also they replaced the transfer switch. The factory sent a new one so I hope it lasts, but I am not sure it is any different.
Thanks for the replies.
Rick
Did they actually cut a hole in the side of your basically new Airstream? A picture would be very interesting to see.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
Our Black tank sensor did not work on our first trip with the new AS Classic. It only registered empty.

I followed the instructions on how to calibrate a single sensor. I had ro read and re-read the instructions a couple of times. The manual was pretty clear and showed the LED location for calibration.

After resetting and calibrating the black sensor (first for empty, then full) the sensor is working perfectly.

We had problems with the black tank sensor on our 2006 Safari -- after replacing the black tank sensor (and sealing the connector with silicone) we had 6 years of trouble free use.

Hope this helps.
I am certain that the system can work well. In my case I am just frustrated by the lack of reliability of our system after a lot of time spent on my part trying to get it to a point of reliability. I honestly have no idea what I might be doing wrong here. I replaced sensors, wiring and even the panel (that had a fault that was easily duplicated so I know it was not correct). Our system was fine on the black tank for the best part of one year (for the most part....), I had no unreasonable expectations about the accuracy of the system I just wanted a general idea of when I needed to dump (perhaps all the more important on our trailer as the black and grey water tanks are combined so when your shower backs up.....).

We had full tanks reading empty, out of the blue after weeks of everything working just fine. We had empty tanks reading full, then empty, then full again. We lost sensor connection, we lost calibration, the system just drove me batty! I even used a voltage over time recording feature on a test tool to see if somehow the systems power was getting corrupted while towing. I checked for stray a/c voltage, I looked for everything I could think of! Finally I just gave up! Far too many other Airstreamers with this system just laughed at me when I asked "does yours work?".

Anyway, the new SeeLevel system came in last week and I am in the process of installing it. I had to make a bezel for the monitor panel as the Micropulse panel is bigger. Today I will wire it up and install sensors.
Reports later....
Bruce
Old 03-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Anyway, the new SeeLevel system came in last week and I am in the process of installing it. I had to make a bezel for the monitor panel as the Micropulse panel is bigger. Today I will wire it up and install sensors.
Reports later....
Bruce
Bruce,

Thanks. I am looking forward to the pictures and the long term report on the SeeLevel system.

Good Luck!

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Micro Pulse sensor

No, the hole was cut in the bottom enclosure which I assume houses the grey water tank. So, it is not visible unless you crawl under the trailer. They also closed it up and sealed it.
Glad to hear from someone in Midland. I grew up there many years ago.
Rick
Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I decided to create a new post about my monitor replacement. Here is the link for anyone who is curious...
Bruce

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...ml#post1280175
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Folks,

I've had problems with incorrect black water tank readings on my 2010 FC 28' since 4 or 5 trips after new purchase. The tank always read empty (green) even when full. I went through the re-calibrate deal a couple of times w/o success. Then finally on one trip the monitor began flashing and grew warm to the touch!

The CATCON factory is in Fort Worth, TX so I paid them a visit. They were extremely helpful and very much aware of the issues. As it turns out the symptoms I experienced were well known and documented (see attached pdf.) They also furnished a new sensor free of charge.

I removed the black sensor lead and found it totally corroded as well as the black sensor contact points as seen in the pic below. I followed the instructions from CATCON on replacing the sensor, coating the RJ11 plug and pot with automotive dielectric grease and sealing the cap with a generous amount of silicon sealant. This job is very easy with the most complicated part is replacing the RJ11 plug with a new one. Radio Shack has the plug and the crimping tool.

The problem with the black tank sensor was directly caused by water intruding from road spray into the RJ11 connector at the sensor head. As you can see in the pics below it is installed along with grey tank sensor directly behind the roadside trailer wheels. I also treated the grey plug and cap with with silicon sealant and dielectric grease as a precaution.

If you are experiencing similar problems with your tank monitoring system and own an AS model mention in the PDF, I strongly recommend that you inspect the RJ11 connector before wasting time in trying to calibrate the tanks.

In the end this issue could have been prevented by taking these steps at the AS factory installation of the Micro Pulse system. Hope this helps!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blck Sensor mount.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	183450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corroded Blk Sensor.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	183451  

Name:	Blk sensor cap.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	634.2 KB
ID:	183452   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Blk Sensor.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	183453  

Name:	Grey Sensor.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	183454  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CATCON Fix.pdf (28.0 KB, 95 views)

WoundedWarriorsFamilySupport.Org
http://www.highfivetour.com/
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I've got a 2008 Classic 25fb and the holding tanks are fully enclosed and the dump valves go into the enclosure. One drain pipe comes out. Can't see how to find access to any of the holding tank sensors without dropping the sheet metal pan for the waste and the Rotocast enclosure for the water tank.

Kelvin
Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Kelvin,

I would recommend sending a note to tech support at AS factory and ask theme the easiest way to access the sensors. They should be able to furnish the drawings and instruction by the serial number of your AS. Hope that helps!

WoundedWarriorsFamilySupport.Org
http://www.highfivetour.com/
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I sent AS a request for more information. Hopefully, they will respond. I also asked them if they have a flat rate labor charge for this procedure to remove/replace a waste tank sensor so I can compare what an RV shop charges for labor.

Kelvin
Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Dunrobin , Ontario
Con'td from post #17 above describing Catcon issues.

My 27FB is now back with the dealer, and hopefully warranty should cover it. My warranty issues:

1. Two dead Catcon sensors
2. Dead waterpump
3. Leaking toilet flush switch
4. Grossly misaligned axle (worn-out tire in ~4000 miles)

I already paid for a new rear window glass that spontaneous disintegrated enroute.

Add also a door catch that needs different adjustment( washers) for summer and winter.

Airstream seems to charge top dollar, but the corresponding quality does not seem to be there. Six issues in 18 months, none of which seem to be fair wear and tear.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I sent AS a request for more information. Hopefully, they will respond. I also asked them if they have a flat rate labor charge for this procedure to remove/replace a waste tank sensor so I can compare what an RV shop charges for labor.

Kelvin
Got a reply back with some drawings of the holding tanks. On my Classic the black is the first tank looking at the dump value, then the gray. Two handles, left handle is the black then the drain and the right handle is the gray. The sensor locations are outboard of the exit drains on the tanks.

If I have to replace a sensor what tool would I use the cut a clean hole. The holding tank is separated from the pan with 1/2" insulation. This is the reply from AS

Hello, I put the prints for the tanks in the attachment for you. In our service center we cut inspection holes in the pans to work on the sensors. There is an 1/2" of insulation between the tank and the pan so do not cut to deep. Then we make a cover to close off the hole.

I've attached the prints of the gray, black and the drain plumbing.

Kelv8h