Old 03-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Flashing Monitor Panel

I'm looking at a preowned 2008 25fb. I was playing around with the monitor panel and I probably didn't understand it very well so I downloaded the manual from Catcon. I notice there is a normal mode and a detailed mode.

What I noticed on this particular AS is after playing around with the monitor panel I moved away and continued looking around the trailer but when I came back into the kitchen area all the lights on the monitor panels were flashing. I can't find anything in the manual to indicate this is that way its supposed to work after turning the power on and leaving it. Is it supposed to flash in normal mode. It's kind of irritating seeing it flash.

Thanks

Kelvin

Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I am going to retract my earlier post!
After re-calibrating many times, replacing multiple sensors, the display, the wiring between the panel and the sensors and re-calibrating several times on this trip I am giving up on the Catcon MicroPulse system.

In all fairness the black water tank sensor made it 11 months before the sensor failed but I have had continual fresh water tank issues. The black water tank sensor is installed about 2 inches above the floor so every time I rinse the tank (during and certainly after each outing) the sensor is allowed to dry out resulting in a cholesterol like plugging of the hole and thus a failure.
I clean my tanks!

We were at Alumolina and I began asking who's modern trailer had a 100% MicroPulse system. All I got was stares and complaints about the thing. One member of the rally who works as a mechanic for a large Airstream dealer said "forget it"!

While at Colonial for the 1 year anniversary I had a frank discussion about the reliability if the system and my conclusion is that it is coming out of the trailer!!!!
If I have something one of my rules is that it has to work! They had horror stories too..

I gave it my best try. I worked to understand the system, to be sure I was calibrating correctly, learned about temperature sensitivity of the sensors and I spoke at length to Steve at Catcon. I am sure I am missing something on the water tank issue but after 4 sensors, a new cable and a new control head (replaced when an led burned out) with no better than about one month working before it lost calibration or out and out refused to read anything I give up.

i will now begin looking for a replacement system. I'll let you know what I find.
Bruce

Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Dunrobin , Ontario
Re:Getting out of calibration mode

Catcon were helpful by email in at least understanding my difficulty in getting out of calibration mode. The initial post here mentioning how do this said one needs to be in the 1/8 position. Mine jumps directly to the 1/4 position and then the 4 pushes trick does not work.

It turns out that this is expected behavior. The 1/8 position is for "Select tank" and the 1/4 position for calibrate. If there are two sensors dead ( as mine) the software does not stop at the "Select tank" and goes directly to calibrate ( the one remaining tank). The four pushes trick ONLY works in when "select tank" is lit. Consequently, there is NO WAY out of calibrate mode if two sensors are dead.

Catcon offered to send me two new sensors and a short cable so that I could temporarily have more than one good sensor. Then I could exit calibration mode and then at my convenience replace the sensors in the tanks that don't work.

Just now I am on the road and not in one place too long so it will just have to wait.

I shall follow with interest the previous poster's quest for a replacement tank monitoring system.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
My black water sensor doesn't work either. Fixed it twice before I just gave up. Now I just look down the toilet when I flush. Works fine and cost nothing.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #19
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
I am able to maintain and repair every other system in my trailer without issue. Each year, my routine involves a detail system by system inspection and servicing before the travel season as nothing bugs me more than an unnecessary failure while I am vacationing. Despite my best efforts which includes ensuring all contacts are good and packed with dielectric grease, keeping this particular annoyance operable remains fruitless. Dlb435 and I are in the same club as a majority of owners.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I have decided to chanje out the Catcom system for one made made by Garnet Instruments. SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - Model 709-P3

The sensors attach to the outside of the tanks and should not be impacted by the same issues standard sensors are.

I am purchasing the system directly from the manufacturer and it should be here next week. I will post pictures of the installation and report back here on my success or failure.

Wish me luck!
Bruce
Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #21
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
I hope your efforts are rewarded! Please post your experience. I might be energized to move beyond eyeballing the crapper and being responsible for announcing "time to dump."
Old 03-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
I hope your efforts are rewarded! Please post your experience. I might be energized to move beyond eyeballing the crapper and being responsible for announcing "time to dump."
Just make sure you turn off the vent fan before you stick your face over the toilet for a look see...

I have it on order. Should be a next weekend project. I will take pictures and post something here.
Bruce
Old 03-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I have decided to chanje out the Catcom system for one made made by Garnet Instruments. SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - Model 709-P3

The sensors attach to the outside of the tanks and should not be impacted by the same issues standard sensors are.

I am purchasing the system directly from the manufacturer and it should be here next week. I will post pictures of the installation and report back here on my success or failure.

Wish me luck!
Bruce
Bruce,

Can't wait to see the results.

Thanks,

Tom

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Tank Sensors

Can anyone tell me how to get access to the tank sensors in my 2012 Eddie Bauer? The dealer claims you have to cut an access hole to replace them. Then they fabricate a cover with similar material and seal it back. Does this sound correct. I am tempted to not repair it.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 03-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
This is what the sensor looks like. I haven't put an eyeball on one yet. They should be threaded into a fitting on the side near the bottom of each tank presumably near the drain pipes for the GW and BW tanks. They could also be fitted into to the bottom of the drain pipes between the tanks and the dump valves. I think the dealer was correct and hopefully they know their locations or it would be a hit or miss affair cutting holes to find them. I believe many of the late model trailers have an access plate near the FW tank drain valve, that sensor may be accessible through it. I'm sure some one out here has been in there and can provide better details.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Catcon System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Interesting dilemma and one I would find somewhat encouraging. Our monitoring system hasn't worked at all during our ownership despite having tried everything short of complete removal. I've come to believe they are just decoration units for the wall.
Same with our 2004 Classic. The system has never worked since we bought the trailer, after owning SOBs with never a problem on the monitor systems. I figured it would be an easy fix. Checked everything, has power to operate the water pump but no lights on the tank levels. I have never been able to get Catcon on the phone.
After reading about all of the problems with the same system in later model Airstreams makes me wander why Airstream continues to put this kind of crap in an otherwise pretty good product.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStar View Post
Same with our 2004 Classic. The system has never worked since we bought the trailer, after owning SOBs with never a problem on the monitor systems. I figured it would be an easy fix. Checked everything, has power to operate the water pump but no lights on the tank levels. I have never been able to get Catcon on the phone.
After reading about all of the problems with the same system in later model Airstreams makes me wander why Airstream continues to put this kind of crap in an otherwise pretty good product.
Word is, they are in the process of changing from this to something else, probably for 2014 model year trailer production.
We'll have to wait and see what they choose...
Bruce
Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
Can anyone tell me how to get access to the tank sensors in my 2012 Eddie Bauer? The dealer claims you have to cut an access hole to replace them. Then they fabricate a cover with similar material and seal it back. Does this sound correct. I am tempted to not repair it.
Thanks,
Rick
This is only true for the fresh water tank. You can get to the other sensors but it is not easy. Some times it's easier to cut an access hole than it is to remove parts to get to the sensor. If your fresh water tank level is working; this is the only sensor you really need. If you don't use your fresh water system too often it might be better to just do without it.
Black water is easy to see.
Grey water is full when the shower quiets draining.
Battery level is easy to check with a meter of some type or when the lights start to dim.
If you spend enough time in the trailer you get a feel of just how full tanks are without even looking.

FYI - one bad Micro Pulse sensor will disable the system. The one that most often fails is the black water sensor. Unplug the sensors one at a time. Restart the panel each time to see if it works.