Old 12-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
metal box is rotted

I am replacing the rear section of floor on my 66 Overlander due to rot. The black water tank itself and the styrofoam which helps support the tank is in fine shape, but the metal box holding it is pretty much gone. Is this an available part somewhere, or will have to fabricate one myself. Thanks, Tom

Old 12-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking andy maybe....

andy at inland rv may have that.....he seems to have alot of everything....expecially for the older models....

i have seen some posts about an airstream salvage yard in the midwest (i think).....that might be a lead for you..

short of that it is likely an hour or 2 of snipping some sheet metal and touch welding it together..

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I've never been able to figure out what that box is for. I had a new one made for one trailer, but on my '68 I used a piece of 1/2" plywood supported by the frame extentions and a new sheet of aluminum for the underbelly. Holds the foam block and tank just fine and allows some air circulation around the tank to keep things dry. Seems like the metal box just collects water from the road. It may not be the best for below-freezing temps, but should be OK for spring/summer/fall trailers. Darol
Old 12-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
I've never been able to figure out what that box is for. I had a new one made for one trailer, but on my '68 I used a piece of 1/2" plywood supported by the frame extentions and a new sheet of aluminum for the underbelly. Holds the foam block and tank just fine and allows some air circulation around the tank to keep things dry. Seems like the metal box just collects water from the road. It may not be the best for below-freezing temps, but should be OK for spring/summer/fall trailers. Darol
The metal holding tank "box" is a container.

When properly installed, heat from the furnace is circuated around the tank, to keep it from freezing.

Keeping the tank dry is almost secondary to keep it from freezing.

An open holding tank pan will allow dust and dirt as well as water from the road, when towing in a rain, to enter. That same water will certainly attack any wooden exterior parts.

Not a good idea, as the pan will surely rust away quicker if you use galvanized metal.

A wooden holding tank pan, is sort of doomed before it starts.

Holding tank pans can easily be made by any good local sheet metal shop.
Andy
Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Not a good idea, as the pan will surely rust away quicker if you use galvanized metal.
Andy, the pans I have seen are galvanized steel. can aluminum be used instead, or would galvanized be the preferred replacement?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Andy, the pans I have seen are galvanized steel. can aluminum be used instead, or would galvanized be the preferred replacement?
Terry.

An aluminum "holding tank pan" would not be a good choice because it is far more subject to corrosion from road salts, etc., kicked up by the tires. But, it can be used even though it would have a limited life.

Granted, Airstream uses it underneath the plywood that holds the large water tank in place by the axles. But that area does not get the brunt of water that is kicked up by the tires when towing in the rain.

Galvanized holding tank pans are the "cheapest" yet effective, followed by "stainless steel."

This is not a place to use wood, in any form.

First of all solid wood is not available in widths of 24 inches or so, therefore plywood must be used.

Plywood being made with "plys" will delaminate in short order when it gets wet.

Even Marine plywood, wouldn't last very long either.

Modifying the way Airstream designed the coaches to be something "less than" is not wise, especially for a holding tank pan.

Modifying them to be "equal to" or "better," is the "do it once and be done with it way."

Andy
Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Keystone Heights , Florida
Holding Tank Pan Question

I am the proud new owner of an 86 argosy and have zero experience with rvs. I would like to drop the pan covering the holding tanks. If I take all the bolts off I'm assuming the pan should simply drop down. I hate assuming! Is this all there is to this or will taking the final bolt out cause my rv to disintegrate?

mrglenn
Old 05-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It shouldn't cause a catastrophic meltdown of your unit, though I don't think I'd rip into it just to see what makes it tick. Is there anything wrong (stuck valve, water leak) that you are trying to correct?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Keystone Heights , Florida
Pan

Thanks for message. The valves are stuck and I'd like to replace them with new ones. Checking condition of tanks, etc.

mrglenn