Old 07-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Angry Mascerator?

OK, I pulled into a new campground last night and once again, the "full" hookup turns out to have a useless sewage connection. Crap really doesn't run uphill but over and over I find campgrounds where the connection is an uphill journey for the slinky. Even at Jackson Center this was true. They spent a fortune rebuilding their parking but put the drains UPHILL from the parking spots. D'oh!

I see many mohos and SOB trailers that are much higher off the ground than Tin Lizzie where the reverse slope can be compensated for by using one of those slinky slings. I got one but find that more often than not I'm barely able to achieve a "level" sewer line.

So, I really don't "enjoy" setting up the slinky anyway, but these badly designed sites just seem to be inviting me to get a mascerator pump that can defy gravity AND be cleaner to handle.

Who has installed one? How hard is it? What does it cost? I have a 2005 CCD.

Tin Lizzie

Old 07-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Team

, Minnesota
The pump, by itself, costs just under $100. If you're handy with hoses, wiring, and plumbing you could do the whole job for under $150. Hard to go wrong at those prices.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Paula,
Check out the Sewer Solutions a buddy of mine has one and loves it. They run around $100 but no fancy wiring or installation required. The only other suggestion would be to get couple extra packs of Lynx Levelers and park on top of them

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

We have one just in case. If we can't dump somewhere before we return home than we pump it through the 75 foot long 1 inch hose to the sewer clean out at out home. Easy to put together and easy to use. Well worth the investment.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Now I know why those SOB's lool like they are riding on stilts! What awful looking trailers but I bet they dump well...
Old 07-09-2005, 11:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Paula,
Check out the Sewer Solutions a buddy of mine has one and loves it. They run around $100 but no fancy wiring or installation required. The only other suggestion would be to get couple extra packs of Lynx Levelers and park on top of them

Aaron
I already have a pack of Lynx levelers, they work pretty well - and I like the new stop & chock add ons too, gonna have to get some. I imagine I might have to raise Lizzie about six inches to be equal to the big boxy SOB's .... Not a good idea.

The Sewer Solution looks great - exactly what I was looking for. Simple, no wiring, water powered, just screw on where the stanky used to go. Already ordered one with an extension hose.

Now it WILL run uphill!
Old 07-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I've got a question. With either the sewer solution or the macerator pump - assuming that you were discharging "uphill" - what happens to the sewerage in the line when you disconnect at the trailer??? I'm surprised that more AS owners aren't complaining about our "not-so-high" connections! The problem is just as acute when you try to dump into a blue tote tank. I literally have to "milk" the discharge line, lifting it up to chase the liquid left in the line into the tank - and heaven help you if you misjudge the tank capacity and overflow it! There just ain't no way to get the mess back into the holding tank on the trailer! I'm leaning towards the portable macerator pump. I really don't want the additional water you would get with the sewer solution when I'm using the blue tote. As for wiring, I'm thinking that a simple extension cord, plugged in at the area of the hitch, would do the job. Is there any reason why my 30 amp, 110 v extension cord wouldn't work to provide 12 volts at the pump (---adapting a female 110 v plug to tap the 12 v system near the hitch?)? I use to do something similar with my popup camper in the past to tap the 12 volt plug on my car. It would eliminate having to carry a dedicated 12 v extension cord.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Cracker,
With the Sewer Solution you pump all the sewage out, when you disconect there will be just a bit of water still in the hose that you can drain out by lifting the hose. In a way the sewer solution acts as a macerator pump, it just uses water pressure instead of some type of rotor for grinding up the stuff. With the pump, you will still have liquid in the line after emptying the tank. It has to be drained too. The big selling point to me on the sewer solution is the simplicity of it as well as the ease of use. I am going to order one...when I get the trailer put back together to the point where I can actually USE the black tank

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Sewer Solution

When I went to their website they sold a "seconds" kit that was fully guaranteed, but had cosmetic blemishes on it - it was only $80 - and they had "short" extension hoses - less than 10 feet but guaranteed to be at least 9 feet long for $5 off of the cost of a 10 ft extension. Including the shipping I only spent $109. And the really cool thing is that there is a switch from drain to flush on the pump - so you flush your tank until the water runs clear, then drain and continue until the water runs clear down the hose.

No stink, its lightweight and it will store in a small area.

(Now would anyone be crass enough to sell used slinky's on ebay? )
I'll give mine away.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The sewer solution sounds like a good idea - but, again, I'm concerned about the extra liquid involved when I'm discharging into my 30-gal blue tote. Even now I have to make at least two trips to the dump station with the tote when the holding tank is full. I try to avoid using the tote for the black water - but sometimes I run out of luck! When that happens I think that the macerator pump would cut down on the "solids" that could hang up in the tote! Any more comments on this lovely aspect of the RV life???

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
you wouldn't use the sewer solution for dumping into a blue tank, for just that reason. but I can't think of a reason to use a mascerator in that situation, either. I would think that if you can't get a blue tank situated under your black tank to let gravity do its thing, then you got bigger problems.

the SS is just for transferring the stuff to its "final" destination.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #12
Site Team

, Minnesota
I don't have 'first hand' knowlege with the blue tanks, but if you wanted to leave the blue tank in the bed of the pick-up, then the macerator might save you needing to lift it up.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:10 AM   #13
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
ahhh. there's a good reason. In that case, a mascerator will pump "just what you have", without adding extra water to it. but then, you're still stuck with a poopy hose when you're done.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:14 AM   #14
Site Team

, Minnesota
I love the direction this thread is going. I'm having a 'Mister Hanky' moment.

As for the poopy hose, I'd rather deal with a section of 3/4" poopy hose than a length of 3" poopy hose.