Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
So glad to find this discussion since I was going to ask about dumping tanks before using our unit in a campground with no hook ups.

We have only used it once in a full hook up rv park but we really don't like those locations. We want to go to more natural camp grounds.

I just wNt to get straight in my head about dumping the toilet water tank. Should we get a rolling "dump mobile" to transfer the contents? Are there usually places to haul the plastic "dump mobiles" to. I don't want to get somewhere and find I have to haul the AS unit every 2 days.

Also would anyone object to us using a pee bucket and dumping it in the am into the camp ground toilets? We did that last time. Seemed to work ok. I'm sorta afraid to use the toilet and tank. Just seems to complicate things. On our boat we called it "bucket and chuck it"!

I know these are minor questions. I just want to be prepared and not get miles from nowhere without the right equipment.

With these plastic dump mobiles ....do I need special plumbing hoses or will my usual dump hose work?

Any other things I need to know about which rolling plastic tank to get? I have just seen them in catalogs.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Lexxy: when you're in full-hookup campgrounds, you used the toilet and tank right? Or did you always walk over to the campground toilets?

The black tank usually doesn't fill very fast. I think that most people using a portable tank are just using that for greywater and dumping the black tank directly into a dump station when they're ready to move, but I've read some people saying they use it for black as well.

With a trailer with no grey tank at all, generally the greywater goes directly into the pipe that runs from the black tank to the outlet. You can just hook up the portable tank to the outlet (either with a stinky-slinky sized hose, or a smaller hose if you have the right kind of cap) and use the systems in the trailer normally until the portable tank fills, then drag it off to the dump station without having to move the trailer.

We've never filled the black tank, but our longest run between dump stations has been 3 nights with 2 of us, or 5 nights with 1.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Thanks for the specifics. We want to stay a week in a pretty primitive place and I hate to have to drag the trailer over to a dump station.

Do most camp grounds that allow trailers have dump stations?

We just used the restroom and at night the "pee bucket" that had a lid. The covered ones from lowes are fine for liquids. We don't even know how the unit drains cuz we had a broken water pipe and no water to use for 2weeks. We just used a carry jug. We didn't know about the pipe bust until we got to Florida from NC. We want to go to the outer banks of NC to a state or national campground.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #18

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Most places with designated RV campsites (national, state, county, municipal or private) have some sort of dump facility, but not all. Places that only offer "dispersed camping" such as National Forest and BLM lands often do not have a dump station onsite, but there are websites and smartphone apps that list dump stations by location.

You'll want to address the broken pipe and other plumbing issues before you're using the toilet, unless you want to just pour water down the toilet to rinse it out and get a "water seal" at the flush valve.

I think on your trailer, the dump connection will be near the streetside rear corner of the trailer, and the dump valve handle may be inside the bumper trunk (that's where my black tank handle is, for example, in a '70s rear-bath Argosy.) If you've never used it before, you might start off by pouring clean water down the toilet and testing to see if the valve leaks, it's not uncommon for an old dump valve to leak, and yours is potentially 40 years old. It's much easier to find/fix a leak when THAT tank is empty y'know!

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
We took the whole bath apart and fixed to pipe. All systems work now. Spring is here and we just gotta get out and use it.

Do you have any recommendations on a plastic dump mobile! Love my catchy name! Good thing I just crack me up!!!

We do plan to do a clean run thru into the drainage ditch. We are in the boonies so it's ok.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I used to use my blue boy for black dumping quite a bit with my old SOB. It only had a 17 gallon black tank and there were 5 of us back then. Now, with the two of us and the AS, I only take it along for gray if we will be in the same location more than 3 or 4 days. I think we could go close to 2 weeks on the black tank.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
thats just what i wanted to know to have an idea in my mind on how to handle all this. thanks again.

I know the newer airstreams are nice but i read so many comments about problems. we are so impressed that this 40 year old unit has everything working. Couldn't believe the ac worked too. how many things hold up like these trailers? it was our fault the pipe burst...didn't weatherproof it right. I told the Mr to read this forum but he said he had it handled! He is handsome and handy and usually does it right.