Old 04-04-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
5 rivets, 1 loose screw
1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan

The only thing I haven't tinkered with so far in my Caravel is the macerator so I don't know yet if the pump works or not. Whatever fitting or cap was under the belly is gone, leaving just a round hole.
The other vintage AS's I've owned didn't have a macerator. Did they become standard issue at some point in time or is it an option?
It's on the opposite side of the trailer from my toilet and I don't cherish the idea of sewage circulating around in the rear of the trailer.
The toilet flushes fine without it. Do I need it or am I ok just to plug the hole and call it good?
I'm trying to complete my refurb properly, both in originality and function and will appreciate any advice or opinions.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64

I do not know of any model that came with a macerator. I would bet that it was a PO installed mod.

How is this setup? Normally a macerator is on the output of the main drain line and you pull the handle in the normal fashion, fire up the macerator and it grinds/pumps the output through a smaller hose to the depository. Is yours somehow connected to the toilet? That sounds like a marine style install.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw
1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Brett, if indeed this is a PO add-on rather than original equipment, that is very good news for me.
I don't know just how it's hooked up. I'll check closer tomorrow when I go to the trailer location (10 miles from my home). All I've seen is a 3" flexible hose under the bathroom vanity, running over to the macerator pump in the corner closet. If it's tapped into the toilet or tank, I may just have to leave it be.
If I can remove it without a lot of hassle, I'll do that.
If I can slip "Airstream" into the description, it should fetch a healthy price on Ebay.
Actually, if I do remove it, I'll offer it up free to any member who might have use for it.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64 I need it?

Greetings Rog!

Your coach is a Vintage where what you have might be the remains of a Thetford ThermaSan. It is my understanding via some Airstream literature that I have stored in my Overlander that this was an optional feature that could be installed on a 1970s era Airstream.

It (ThermaSan) evidently included a macerator pump that would grind the waste and send through a tube that connected via device on the hitch to plumbing on the tow vehicle that in turn connected to plumbing that was connected to the tow vehicle's exhuast system where the macerated waste was injuected and "burned". There is a thread here on the Forum that discussed this feature as linked below:

ThermaSan Discussion

The ThermaSan is mentioned several posts down.

Good luck with your search for additional information!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You got to be ........ me.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
North Central , Texas
Macerators are/were pretty commom on sail & power boats for most of the late 20th century. We had 2 boats (sail) with them. Recent EPA R&R's have prohibited their 'direct' use on inland waterways but a wealth of info can be had from these (boating) sources. If I were to use one on our A/S it would be at the head itself for optimal waste effectuation, not the holding tank excavation port.

RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote