Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Question Looking for a "wand thingy" to rinse the black tank.

I would like to know who has one and how they work? I have seen two models at Walmart that go down the toilet. One has a rotating head and a flexible hose end($18.??), and the other has a drilled pvc cap on a plastic pipe ($9.??) I See they also have one thing that hooks into the waste dump pipe ( but on our 72 it would shoot up the gray water drain and not the black tank).

So What do you use and does it work?

Thanks Mike
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I tried one of those wands and it was a horrible mess. My advice: put some water and a bag of ice in the tank and tow to wherever you're going, and dump when you get there The tank will be clean, and you won't have to deal with the mess the wand makes!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have use done of those "wand thingies" before we had the built-in black tank sprayer (the cheaper veirson I think). You have to connect it to a water hose an bring it inside your unit to stick it down the toilet hole. (That's the hassle part.) There's an accompanying gadget you can buy that slides into the toilet hole and holds the slider valve open so you can use the wand without fighting with it (be sure your water pump is off and you are not hooked up to city water or water will just run down into the tank). Ours has a valve where it attaches to the hose so you can turn the water flow off and on... It's OK but a hassle to use. You need to be careful with it so you don't end up spraying everywhere with it. This ice trick is good, but if you just need to rinse the tank down the wand works pretty well.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I also have a modified one that works very good. I cut some off to put a flexible part in and made my own splash guard_stay open piece. I also made a hose connection from the outside to the bathroom so there is no hose to deal with other than connecting the outside one. Here are some photos

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ToiletWand.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	83317   Click image for larger version

Name:	ToiletWandInUse.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	83318  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ToiletWandConnection.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	83319  
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
That's a cool modification, Bob! Good for you!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
My 74 has a screw cap in a standing 2" pipe that is located over the black water tank. This is located in the back compartment along with the release valves for the holding tanks, and the control valves for the city water lines
I bought a "thingy" and modified it by heating a section of it so it could be bent at about a 45 degree angle, otherwise it was too tall to fit in the 2" pipe. I hook it up to the hose at the dump station and flush out the black tank. Works but you must remember to shut the water off before removing it from the stand pipe or you will spray the compartment with water.
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have one of the wand thingy's, have used it a few times. You have to be at a dump station with a hose long enough to reach inside to the toilet. Be sure to get the wand head all the way down inside before you turn the water on. Not being able to see inside, have to say it SEEMS to work, can't see how the high pressure water couldn't do something helpful in there.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
I purchased the cheaper wand a walmart today sticker said $9.98 But it rang up for $6.59 (go figure) So I wont complain. I am going to make a hose that I can use to run through the back storage compartment to the toilet and the dump station water supply. I hope to have this done before Friday as we head out for a weekend of canoeing and fun without the kids at a campground we have never been before. They have only electric hookups and I haven't seen any mention about a dump station. I have learned that we have one locally that charge $5.00 to dump and plan on that for fall clean out before the winter. I will post pictures of the mod. if I remember to take any. Mike

Also will start looking for a clear plastic coupler for the waste hose.
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote