Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Question lifting totes

Anyone have ideas on the best way to lift a full waste water tote into the back of a pick up truck for those trips to the dump station?
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I used my ramps that I have to load my scooter......it was better than lifting, but not as much as you would think. Usually I tow the blue boy behind the TV, but in this campground, the dump was about a mile and a half away on a 35mph road. Don't think the tote would've stood that speed.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I limit myself to a 10 gallon tank. That is about 80 lbs and is as much as I want to lift. Just empty more often
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
Our tote's handle attaches to the hitch ball and be "driven" to the dump station, assuming it isn't very far away. Way too heavy to lift into the bed of the truck.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, we had some guests here last summer, staying a month up in one of the water-electric sites. They used a macerator pump: The blue tank stayed in the truck bed, the poo pumped up to it by the macerator. Then drove down to the dump station and used gravity to empty the tank. It was pretty slick.

Lynn
Old 10-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
You know, we had some guests here last summer, staying a month up in one of the water-electric sites. They used a macerator pump: The blue tank stayed in the truck bed, the poo pumped up to it by the macerator. Then drove down to the dump station and used gravity to empty the tank. It was pretty slick.

Lynn
Yup, that works well. But I just don't use the tote enough to justify the expense of the macerator. Maybe after I retire and am staying places a lot longer. Is is a slick way to handle the issue.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #7

2008 30' Classic
Olympia , Washington
I built a ramp system.
1. At Lowes you can buy a kit to make a ramp- it has metal ends you put onto boards- I cut them so they will fit into the 8 foot truck bed. I then cut a piece of plywood to go over them- since the tote is more of a "tricycle" wheel- the front wheels would be between the two ramps. I painted the boards but in the paint mixture you can get "sand" added to the paint to keep them from being as slick .
2. To pull the the tote into the truck bed I use a long rope or leash to haul it up the ramp. I have a 22 gallon tote which is heavy enough to pull, more than that would be difficult. I also have two totes giving me more capicity, hence dumping less often

3. I also use the ramp system as a bridge across my truck bed. (I put down cut pipe insulation to help protect the sides and keep if from moving.) I then use this as a platform for my fresh water container. (you can purchase one from camping world that hold about 40 gallons) This gives you more height so you can gravity fill your fresh water tank without having to use a pump. I do strap this down with tie downs for security when moving.
larrynb is offline   Reply With Quote