Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #1

1973 Argosy 22
1977 Argosy 24 Rear Door
Currently Looking...
Charlottesville , Virginia
Leaking Black Water Tank Valve.

My wife and I just bought a 1973 Arogsy 22ft thats is in great shape. Most of it is original and everything in it works. But of course the only thing that we didn't test when we looked at it was the black water valve. We looked at it at his house instead of a camp ground (shame on us). We fell in love with it, rolled the dice and lost.

I wanted to test the black water system so I dumped a bunch of water in to the tank through the toilet and noticed a very slow leak in the sewer outlet. I then hooked up the sewer hose and pulled the valve release and nothing happened. Seems to me that the connection between the release and the valve is broken and that the gasket may be bad but I won't know till the tank drains completely and I can actually look.

Anyone had this issue in their camper? Anyone know where to start?

Thanks
RVB
RVB101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Welcome to the Forum, congratulations on your acquisition.

I had a similar problem on my '77 Safari.
You can get a valve that attached on to the sewer pipe connection, I used one as a temporary measure until I could replace all the valves.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-.../dp/B000BGHYJS

This is the one I used, you'll need a Valterra to Thetford Adaptor like this one
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T05-...lterra+adapter

when my drain valve didn't open, the handle broke off, if the valve is opening but not draining any faster than with it closed you likely have a clog and the valve isn't closing fully. Or it may be that you just don't have enough water in the tank to make it look like it's fully draining.

Here's a link to my Bathroom and Plumbing repairs/renovation thread, it may help when you start taking things apart.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f421...rs-109204.html
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote