Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Green Mountains , Vermont
Leak near black tank sensor. Help please.

I am on my maiden voyage in my new 2008 Safari Sport 22. Going solo.

I noticed something dripping near the black tank pipe. There's a smaller extension that looks like it should hold some fitting. This is where it is leaking. There is a wire hanging with a phone line connection right next to it. After searching a few threads here, I discovered this is probably the black tank sensor. That might explain why the monitoring systems jumps from fresh, gray, to battery... and never shows black tank.

So.... I stuck my finger in the hole to see if I could feel a socket to accept the phone line. Now my fingers stink. It was full of waste water. Feels like a round hole. Could not feel a phone line socket. I drained the black tank and then gray. It stopped, but I already did this yesterday... and it started dripping again.

A picture might be helpful. Top arrow shows the little opening where it leaks. Bottom arrow points to the phone wire hanging with a rubber cup at the end.

Don't know why it is leaking, or where this wire actually goes.

Thanks (again).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BLACK01.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	141138  
nesvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
update- after sticking my finger in that hole, and rinsing the end of the phone line sensor (it was packed with dirt), I am getting a reading on the monitor for black tank. It says it is full.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Sounds like the sensor is missing?
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Wow. That makes sense. Glad I only probed the hole for 20 minutes.
Thanks.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
I am far away from the dealer. I would like to do a repair at the campsite if possible. Not sure of the exact name for this part. Googling "tank sensor" is either returning no results or showing ones that do not have the phone style plug. What exactly do I need to look for?

Would like to try one of two things.
1) Find the part locally, but I need to know what to look for.
2) Find out if the receiving socket is threaded, determine the diameter and thread size.... so I can just plug the leak with a bolt.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hi nesvt, your Micropulse Systems Monitor (including the sensors), came from Catcon Products, Inc., (CATCON Products | Home). You might try obtaining a sensor directly from them, otherwise, any Airstream dealer should stock them; unfortunately, they're not cheap.
In the meantime, I'd find a way to temporarily plug the hole in the receptacle without screwing up the threads (yes, it's threaded)....then at least you can use your toilet.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Thanks fmrcaptevil. The dealer is going to make everything right. Just trying to see if anything can be done while on the road.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Wents to Lowes plumbing department. Bought a 3/4" nylon threaded plug (95 cents) and a 3/4" nylon snap-in plug (60 cents) in case the threaded one didn't fit right. Screwed the threaded one in lightly to make sure it was a good fit. Perfect. Backed it out, added some teflon tape, re-inserted. Put a few gallons of water into the black tank. No leak.

Thanks again for the help.

Norm
Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
The compelling question is, to quote Gen. Yevgraf Zhivago (Sir Alec Guinness): "...how did you come to be lost?"

(Is there a "black" market for these sensors now?)
Old 09-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
I should have explained. There was a dealer in the area that stopped getting new Airstreams several years ago. They were selling off what was on their lot. My wife and I purchased this new 2008 Safari Sport 22'. Just picked it up on Saturday. Covered under the two year warranty.

During the few years that it sat on the lot, they took off a couple of common parts needed for ones they were selling. Ours was missing the thermostat and freezer door. We had to wait to pick up our trailer until after these missing parts were ordered and installed by the dealer. I think best practice would have been to order these parts the same day they took them out to use on another unit, but I don't know all the details. All I know is that there was another part taken out... .the tank sensor. Wish they had kept a list. I think I need to go count the lug nuts.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Using a new trailer for spare parts? Makes you wonder what else they took off that you will find after the warrenty is over. A black tank sensor missing and then selling the unit and letting it roll off down the road would not give me too much of a good feeling. Are they still a certified Airstream repair facility to do warrenty work? Are you installing the sensor yourself? Did they tell you how to calibrate the system for the new sensor? Do you have all this in writing for later complaints to Airstream?

The stinky finger comment in the opening post was way too funny...... Get you some quaility disposable rubber gloves for future fingering..... Any work on the black tank or grey tank really do require them - even hooking up and disconnecting the lines.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Yes, using a new trailer to replace parts on another new trailer.

Yes, I have wondered and still wonder what else may be missing. I raised this concern before towing it off the lot. It wasn't until I was at a campground that I noticed the leak. I am new to this. Not really sure what to look for.

I was going to let them install it and calibrate, but I am still thinking about it. Saw the calibration steps in the manual. I suspect they would also be referring to the manual. They still service Airstreams. Don't know their certification status. If there was an "active" dealer within a hundred miles, I would take a ride to get it fully inspected. There isn't.

I've added gloves to my list!