Old 05-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1968 22' Safari
Waco , Texas
Leak in black water tank

68 Safari 22 foot twin. Doing a remodel. Checking out the waste tank. Filled it with water and found that it dripped near the slide valve. There are four bolts or screws holding the slide vavle to the tank and I can see cracks visible in the plastic sleeves that the screws pass through (top only) The bottom two screws show the accumlation of 40 plus years of rust and look like they would twist in half before they could be removed. So, I'm looking for the fix. Can the Thetford Slide-EZ Valve DWV (T-1169) be replaced (with new hardware and maybe gaskets?) Or do I replace the Thetford Model A-20 tank and a new slide valve both? This is all new to me. I've replaced toilets in the house and laid sewer lines but never in aluminum.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Skywriter in Texas.

Skywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
You should be able to get the parts at most RV stores, or call Out-Of-Doors Mart that has most AS replacement parts. I have not replaced that valve on our 73 Overlander but added a gray water tank and blade valve and they look the same. The bayonet attachment for the dump hose is different than one on an SOB, so it could be different also - I changed the bayonet attachment at that time also.

jimbob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I had similar problems with the valve in my 68. The flange was cracked on mine and I had to replace it. Inland RV had the valve with the correct fittings to match my original plumbing. It was not cheap, but I saved a lot of time trying to make a new Valterra type work in my old Trade Wind. If yours isn't cracked too badly (JB Weld is wonderful stuff) I would definitely try a rebuild.
Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1968 22' Safari
Waco , Texas
Thanks for the help. I've got a search going for an original replacement of the blade valve. Hopefully, this will be the fix and the end of the leak. It wasn't a big leak but nothing worse than doing something halfway and having to redo it later. Trying to find sources for all the replacement parts will be a challenge. I know there are places that will do the refurbishing, but I like the idea of doing it myself and enjoy working on it. The learning curve is a bit steep at first and asking for help isn't my strong point.
Skywriter is offline   Reply With Quote