Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
keeping the Black Tank Happy when fultiming

what are ways to keep the tank good and happy with a non offensive smell if one is fultiming and using the facilities daily......
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
1962 16' Bambi
Smithville , Texas
We live out in Smithville. So I guess we are close.

We have found that if you use the system a lot, one packet of "smell good" is not enough. We also have been told that A capful of Downy keeps your seals soft and pliable, which is a big issue on our older unit.

Good luck and hope to catch up with you soon.

Tom
tbettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
what are ways to keep the tank good and happy with a non offensive smell if one is fultiming and using the facilities daily......
RESPONSES:
  1. You are an AIRstreamer - don't you know yours doesn't stink?
  2. There is an orange OIL based product that floats on the water and seals the waste from air. It works instantly. Downside? The minute a piece of toilet paper hits the oil, it turns the paper into insoluble leather-like sheets. I use the Sewer Solution and every single effen sheet had to be individually cut up and pushed down using the high pressure mascerator - an hour to dump? No thank you. If you use the stinky slinky this stuff could work.
  3. Thetford funeral flower violet scented powder - It's overwhelmingly strong, but doesn't eliminate a certain ammonia scent. "Cloying"
  4. I've seen two brands of "Oxy-something" that both almost instantly knock the odor down... but they are NOT long lasting.
  5. Plain old septic tank enzymes last - not much coverup scent - but cut the odors noticably.
  6. Stop eating garlic and slug sandwiches
Bottom line (oh dear... that was actually unintentional)... empty the black tank every 3-4 days. You don't have to completely rinse it, just drain it, and pour a couple of gallons of water down the toilet as follow up. Do a thorough drain and flush about once every 2-3 weeks.

When Boondocking, "oxy" chemicals cut the most smell, but don't last too long. Use generously.

Happy trails! Paula
Old 07-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Who cares if the tank is happy ....... you are the one that needs to be happy.

2 tablespoons of vanilla extract.
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Samb... please clarify. Do you drink the vanilla extract, rub some under your nose, or pour in into the black tank?
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr View Post
Samb... please clarify. Do you drink the vanilla extract, rub some under your nose, or pour in into the black tank?
Good one
Old 07-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #7
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
thanks to all for the bottoms up

Quote....
Bottom line (oh dear... that was actually unintentional)... empty the black tank every 3-4 days. You don't have to completely rinse it, just drain it, and pour a couple of gallons of water down the toilet as follow up. Do a thorough drain and flush about once every 2-3 weeks.

I dont know how to do the quote thing......
But I Drain every three days mostly,,,,and use the sewer flusher on the side of the stream...additionally, I have started to bring a hose indoors using a spray attachment and rinsing the toilet out from the topside....

we are careful with the amount and kind of paper used and use a product called orange power , TST Orange Powwer and it really adds no smell enhancer and i don't know that it helps..it comes in liquid and packets....
maybe it hinders the effort...i don't know...

don't really have a huge smell problem, as WE ARE AIRSTREAMERS, but with warmer weather it occurs more...

what do they use in the porta potties used in outdoor aplications...most of them smell to high heaven....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We like the Oxy-Kem holding tank treatment pod thingies, can get them at WalMart, and they work pretty well. I put a little pine-sol, Dawn and a gallon or so of water into ours periodically, when otherwise empty, and let it slosh around good.

We best like the dump-frequently method of keeping things smelling nice.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr View Post
Yes.

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Thanks, Sam. That clears it up... fer sure.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Boerne , Texas
sewer flusher

I'm interested in using the "sewer flusher" on the street side. I've hooked up the water hose to it and pressured it up but the water is not going in? Is there a valve or anything that could be stuck? Where does it terminate at the blackwater tank. Presumably on the curb side. I wonder if I could access it through the closet floor??? If it's just a tube, I could run a 1/4 inch polyethylene tube through it to clean it out??? It's probably got too many sharp bends for that though.
texascanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
In our AS the toilet is over shallow (wrong) end of the tank. Solids tend to stay directly under the toilet and remain high and dry until the tank becomes partially full. This means that the chemicals (over at the deep end) aren't very usefull until the tank is nearly full. Not sure, but this may have been designed by the same folks that designed our entry door to open the wrong direction.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I think I have found, by accident really, something that helps a bit.

Most of the time when we break camp the line at the dump is pretty long and we move on. We frequent the same DEC CG quite a bit and the nearest dump is about 60mi away. That 60mi on the Adirondack back roads kind'a smooooth's things out in there, if 'ya know what I mean.
That and a little bleach in the tanks before we leave has worked well for us......even the tank monitor still works.

Bob