Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
Is there supposed to be a blackwater flush?

Hey folks, I'm new here and have really enjoyed reading and learning from everyone. Thank you to everyone who contributes and keeps this place going.

My question is this: I have a '76 Tradewind with a rear bath. In the manual it states that there is supposed to be a cap that can be removed, with the purpose of adding fresh water to the black tank to aid in flushing the system. Does anyone know where this is located? I definitely cannot see it in the rear bumper.

Also, if it doesn't have the cap, how do ya'll add water to the black tank (when at a dump station)?

Thanks in advance,

Danny
dannyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi dannyo and welcome to the forums...

first post here on dealing with poo?

u can only go UP from here!

take a look at this gadget, it works great for black tank issues OR even rinsing the wash water tank...

FlushKing.com

it's available at cw and online, and works great!

many posts on using it over in the plumbing section here...

depending on the outside arrangement and access, u may need a 5-10" drain pipe extension segment too...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I, too, can highly recommend the Flush King. It is well worth the price. It will not always work at a public dump station. Many don't have a hose connection to hook to the Flush King. In that case, I add water to the black tank from my fresh water tank. I just hold the flusher open until I get a gallon or two into the black tank. Try not to run with a completely empty black tank. This will cause problems that are difficult (and messy) to deal with.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I think that feature is only on the International trim level trailers. They have an outer rear door that you need to remove to get to the cap. My 75 is not an International and dies not have the rear door or the cap.

I fill a 7 gallon jug and pour it down the toilet to rinse out the tank. Simple and effective.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the help! I knew you folks would know. Flush King is on order.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
Richard,

Mine is a Land Yacht model, so I guess that's why it doesn't have the cap. Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
If you open the door on the rear of the trailer, there should be two hand pulls, one for the black tank and the other for the wash water tank. In my trailer there is a black pipe that sticks up between the two, closer to the black tank, that has a plug in the end of it that you simply untighten and take off. I got a tank wand from Wally Mart and put a kink in it so I can put it down the pipe. I attach the wash hose to it and let er rip. It usually cleans everything out of the black tank quite effectivley. You can also put the dump station hose down this pipe (since no body drinks from it !) and it will also do the job.
Ahhh tank emptying....the leveler of all classes of RVers.
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyo
Hey folks, I'm new here and have really enjoyed reading and learning from everyone. Thank you to everyone who contributes and keeps this place going.

My question is this: I have a '76 Tradewind with a rear bath. In the manual it states that there is supposed to be a cap that can be removed, with the purpose of adding fresh water to the black tank to aid in flushing the system. Does anyone know where this is located? I definitely cannot see it in the rear bumper.

Also, if it doesn't have the cap, how do ya'll add water to the black tank (when at a dump station)?

Thanks in advance,

Danny
Danny.

There should be a cap in the black water vent pipe, that can be removed by hand.

Inserting fresh water into that vent pipe, will result in adding water to the black water tank, which in effect is flush that tank.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Austin , Texas
Perfect. Thanks for the help. I think I have a good idea of what needs to be done.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I realize mine is a different model...
My '72 GT has a small, approx 1 1/4" spring loaded metal cover on the street side at about chest high. Opening this cover gains access to the vent pipe to the black tank, where a water hose can be inserted.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote