Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I don't think it will - maybe 18 inches at best. My shot into my drain at home is about 10 inches above valve level and 80 feet away. It takes a substanially longer washout time then when it's below the level of the tank. Maybe you can but 20 feet - it's a stretch.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #22

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
A 100 foot run may be achievable on level terrain, but I suspect any degree of incline over that length is more then the sewer solution (SS) can handle.

The SS operates using a high pressure jet to shred solids into passable sizes, but it is not a positive pressure system and will only overcome a limited amount of head pressure before things begin backing up into your tank(s).

Interestingly it seems as though Valterra has acquired the sewer solution line. They indicate a maximum level run of up to 100 feet on level surfaces and up to 3 feet above the holding tanks. I have used our SS extensively over the past several years and would be doubtful of the 3 foot claim at any length beyond the standard 10 foot hose that is supplied with the kit.

Here is Valterra's video.

Valterra Sewer Solution Video - YouTube

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Yes, you can pump up hill

Search the thread MACERATOR on 3/9/2014 It will probably answer all of your questions. Below is a cut and paste from that thread. As it says, the Flow Jet Macerator works great. It will pump against a 20' lift with no problem. It costs about $150.00 (unless you can find one used, check ebay) and runs on 12 volt.
From 3/10/2014
I bought a Flow Jet Macerator so that we can empty our black tank into the septic tank when we get home. It works great, ends the need to go by a dump station, and we are able to flush and clean the black tank at our leisure. We still use the slinky to dump when we're not at home. I'll definitely try bypassing the gray water through the flush fitting next time. I would suggest being very careful what goes into the tanks if you plan to use a Flow Jet or any other macerator, I'm not sure it would digest a paper towel or sanitary wipe.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
I don't think it will - maybe 18 inches at best. My shot into my drain at home is about 10 inches above valve level and 80 feet away. It takes a substanially longer washout time then when it's below the level of the tank. Maybe you can but 20 feet - it's a stretch.
Still haven't had time to check the paperwork

But I KNOW that my clean out is 3' above where the campers park and it is 30' away, SS handles it just fine. I use 3 10' pieces of PVC with slip joint connections. We aren't in any hurry so I have never timed how long it takes to clear the tanks. One camper took at least 2 beers, but that was a 50 gallon black tank.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

weaverville , North Carolina
Foiled again, what is a blue boy?
I've got about 20 feet of rise and 80 feet of distance.
thanks so much
elicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
A Blue Boy is a portable tank. They vary in size. Most people use them for grey water. Especially on the vintage trailers that are not equipped with a grey water tank.
Blue Boy is a brand name. You can find others as well.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #27
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by elicia View Post
thanks so much
Portable RV Waste Tank

They come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Believe mine is a 25 gallon. Got it when I had a popup for grey water. I have seen up to 45 gallon range, but would hate to have to handle one that size full. Remember water averages about 8# a gallon. Mine full is too heavy to lift with one person. Three was better. Some of them have hitches so you can tow them to the dump station, easier said than done from what I have observed.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by elicia View Post
thanks so much
It all comes down to hydrostatic pressure and pressure lose inside the hose you are pumping through. A 20 foot rise will mean that you need to exert a pressure of about 8.5 psi. The smaller the hose the more pressure lose inside the hose. A Flojet Macerator will do what you want to do, I use one under very similar conditions, and actually tested it on a 20 ft lift. to get an acceptable flow rate you may need to go with a larger discharge hose.You can usually find A Flojet on ebay for less than $200. The sewer solution might work but it requires a gallon or more of water for every gallon of waste water that it moves. To pump away 40 gallons of waste water you will put more than 80 gallons into your septic tank. Not exactly an environmentally acceptable situation.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Thank you so much, y'all! SStar, do I need a larger holding tank for the macerator ? where would it be placed? how to deal with freezing? Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
FLojet macerator

You won't need a holding tank of any kind. The macerator attaches onto your piping on the trailer with a Valterra fitting. You may need an adaptor from Thetford to Valterra. You can pump directly through a water hose to your septic tank. The larger the diameter the better flow rate you will have (less restriction). I actually buried a 2" pvc line to pump through. I just connect a short hose from the flojet to the 2" pvc. The flojet has a connection so that you can connect a hose to flush it out after your tanks are empty. As to freezing, if you expect cold weather just remove and drain it until the next usage. As I mentioned, we are very careful about any paper that goes into our tanks.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Thanks so much.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have a related question about pumping into a septic tank.

There is a 4" clean-out on top of the septic tank which seems closer to the exit side of the septic tank.
- Can the sewage be pumped directly into the tank clean-out hole?
- Does it matter which side of the septic tank baffle the clean-out is located. This clean-out seems to be closer to the exit side of the septic tank.
- Would it be better to intercept the pipe between the house and tank to put in a clean-out port?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #33

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
is anyone pumping blackwater uphill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post

There is a 4" clean-out on top of the septic tank which seems closer to the exit side of the septic tank.
- Does it matter which side of the septic tank baffle the clean-out is located. This clean-out seems to be closer to the exit side of the septic tank.
- Would it be better to intercept the pipe between the house and tank to put in a clean-out port?

A clean out between the dwelling and the septic tank is the preferred entry way. As long as you're pumping into the tank and not the drain field I think you will be fine. It is better if the tank clean out is away from the drain field entrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
A few days ago, we were at a friend's home and hooked up. His septic outlet was 90' from our trailer, and about 2 feet higher than our Airstream. I bought enough thinwall PVC, with the necessary couplers, hooked up my Sewer Solutions, and it worked fine. Took about 10 minutes or less to empty the blackwater tank.
A macerator pump would work fine also, but is a bit more expensive.

Larry C
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Quote:

Obviously the preferred way would be to pump into a fitting upstream of your septic tank. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to occasionally pump into the clean out fitting on my septic if I needed to. A macerator pump grinds any solids into minute particles as it pumps so that it should not be an issue.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #36
Roving Sewist

2003 25' Safari
Sanger , Texas
Timing things by how many beers it takes is the way my dad grilled on charcoal. i don't drink beer, so I didn't learn how to grill.
DotTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:

There are a number of variations on septic tanks, and their compartments. They are designed to have the waste put into the tank below the top crusty skum line, which seals the top of the liquid and allows the bacteria to work in the absence of air. Adding liquid/solid mixture to that top is not a good idea.

In addition, you might wind up adding it to a holding tank portion of a two or three chamber tank system. That will put solids into your drain field very fast and would never be recommended or good to do.

In my own three chamber system #2 and #3 are designed for liquid only (and they are away from the intake line). Chamber #3 is for almost pure liquid only and adding raw sewerage to that would be a disaster, as it contains a pump to pump the final liquid uphill to my drain field.

So, unless you know how your system is designed and built, I would not recommend adding RV waste to the top of the septic tank itself. Dig up the intake line, put a swept T fitting on it, bring it up to ground level and cap it, and use it only for your RV waste.

Septic systems can be easily damaged and very expensive to replace.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:59 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Idroba - thanks for your informative post. Poo is a big deal when you've got a big family camping together and... no I won't go there.

I never intended to boondock, and yet over time I've done it quite often. I often drive into one of my regular home grounds and immediately empty the tanks. Even when I've used a dump station where I've been charged for the privilege, the pop-up, my Airstream and The high end moho pay the same amount to use the dump station.

I hunker down at Holiday travel park during January and February. Nice bargain rates for supersites. During the season, it's $4 less per night to get water and electric only than for water, electric and sewer.... BUT THE DUMP STATIONS ARE FREE except to those who pull on just to dump. Then they pay $4.00 even if they have 200 gallon tags. At $28 per week I sometimes dither, because with one person I can easily dump a good amount of gray into the toilet and make it with room to spare. But then, when you're ready to get on the road, who wants to stop, unpack a dump hose, and dump two full tanks? Again convenience makes sense.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #39

1974 Argosy 26
New Orleans , Louisiana
I am remodeling my 1974 argosy to remain on my property. My house is raised with the clean out directly inline with where I want to park my trailer. I am having electrical hookups put in, but not sure what I should do about the sewer line. Protagonist, I'm in your area near the fairgrounds. Thanks!
Gogo220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:56 AM   #40
Rivet Master

My farmhouse has a septic tank, other house has city sewer

I know the drill.

If you are going to dump your campers black water into your septic.

#1 USE AN ENZYME backwater treatment, NOT blue perfume chemicals, which will be detrimental to the biosystem of your septic tank.

#2 Use Scotts tissue ( cheaper than RV paper, easier to find )

That's what I use..and I never have solids or paper coming out of the trailer

My friend used to use a macerator, to pump into his toilet via a garden hose. He quit doing so because the pump often got clogged or jammed. Twice, a sanitary napkin was the problem. ( non RVers and city folk, don't know any better ) Both of us on occasion, in a pinch, used 5 gallon buckets to transport waste to our sewer clean outs
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote