Old 08-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Is it my imagination, or did the original poster delete his post, leaving this thread hanging and all of us arguing over nothing? I tried to find the original post to find out where he lived, but now it looks like my first post to this thread is post #1 instead of post #2 as it was originally.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Not your imagination Portagonist.

Access to a sewer line via the cleanout can cause you some issues. In camp grounds it may look like you have a direct access to the sewer line but in fact there is a "vent trap" down there to prevent sewer gasses from escaping. A cleanout plug will not have that and you can get into real trouble accessing that if caught. Can it work - Yes, it can. Is there an issue with doing it, Yes, there is.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

weaverville , North Carolina
Hi y'all. I appreciate your input so much.
I didn't delete my original post?
Sorry, I'm new to this forum.
I live in Western North Carolina (mountains)
We built our place from scratch (including septic), so we are well aware of what clean outs there may or not be

The rise we have is about 20 feet. (and perhaps 100 feet almost of horizontal distance)

My guess is the sewer solution couldnt handle that.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #18

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Is it my imagination, or did the original poster delete his post, leaving this thread hanging and all of us arguing over nothing? I tried to find the original post to find out where he lived, but now it looks like my first post to this thread is post #1 instead of post #2 as it was originally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elicia View Post
We built our place from scratch (including septic), so we are well aware of what clean outs there may or not be

The rise we have is about 20 feet. (and perhaps 100 feet almost of horizontal distance)

The issue occurred while moving the thread from the LG Gas forum to the Waste forum. The first post was picked off in the move leaving the others behind. The condition has been corrected.

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You might be overlooking something. Even a home on a slab foundation will have sewer cleanout plugs somewhere outside of the slab, between the slab and the sewer main out by the street (or between the house and the septic tank for rural areas). Another name for "cleanout plug" is "dump station." If you look at just about any campground with sewer hookups, you'll see that the sewer hookup is a cleanout plug above ground level where you can easily open the cap. It's not difficult or terribly expensive to trace your sewer line and find the cleanout plug (even if it's presently buried), and carefully dig a hole to uncover it. Then, when you unscrew the cap, screw on an extension pipe to get it to just above ground level (just high enough that your lawn mower won't run over it and break a blade), put the cap on the extension, and back-fill the hole you dug. Voila! Instant permanent dump station!
No, unfortunately. First, we don't have a cleanout (house was built in the 60s), and, second, even if we did, it would be between the house and the street, which means two more problems - 1., the driveway is sloped toward the street, making dumping difficult if not impossible, and 2. with the size of our rig, the truck would be blocking the street while we were dumping. So, even putting the money into having a cleanout installed wouldn't help.

I guess if we used the sewer solution at that point it would work, though... it'd be at least a 40 or 50 foot run, though. (How can such a small property have this kind of issue?)

The good news for us is that there's a Maryland rest area not too far from us that we can use to dump for free. Still, dumping at home would be nicer, especially since we're often coming with full tanks from a direction that makes that rest area quite a detour on the way home. We've occasionally just paid the dump fee at campgrounds along the way to save the time (and fuel).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:

It might... I will have to check the documentation that came with mine and see what it says. Part of it will depend on your water pressure.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I don't think it will - maybe 18 inches at best. My shot into my drain at home is about 10 inches above valve level and 80 feet away. It takes a substanially longer washout time then when it's below the level of the tank. Maybe you can but 20 feet - it's a stretch.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #22

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
A 100 foot run may be achievable on level terrain, but I suspect any degree of incline over that length is more then the sewer solution (SS) can handle.

The SS operates using a high pressure jet to shred solids into passable sizes, but it is not a positive pressure system and will only overcome a limited amount of head pressure before things begin backing up into your tank(s).

Interestingly it seems as though Valterra has acquired the sewer solution line. They indicate a maximum level run of up to 100 feet on level surfaces and up to 3 feet above the holding tanks. I have used our SS extensively over the past several years and would be doubtful of the 3 foot claim at any length beyond the standard 10 foot hose that is supplied with the kit.

Here is Valterra's video.

Valterra Sewer Solution Video - YouTube

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Yes, you can pump up hill

Search the thread MACERATOR on 3/9/2014 It will probably answer all of your questions. Below is a cut and paste from that thread. As it says, the Flow Jet Macerator works great. It will pump against a 20' lift with no problem. It costs about $150.00 (unless you can find one used, check ebay) and runs on 12 volt.
From 3/10/2014
I bought a Flow Jet Macerator so that we can empty our black tank into the septic tank when we get home. It works great, ends the need to go by a dump station, and we are able to flush and clean the black tank at our leisure. We still use the slinky to dump when we're not at home. I'll definitely try bypassing the gray water through the flush fitting next time. I would suggest being very careful what goes into the tanks if you plan to use a Flow Jet or any other macerator, I'm not sure it would digest a paper towel or sanitary wipe.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
I don't think it will - maybe 18 inches at best. My shot into my drain at home is about 10 inches above valve level and 80 feet away. It takes a substanially longer washout time then when it's below the level of the tank. Maybe you can but 20 feet - it's a stretch.
Still haven't had time to check the paperwork

But I KNOW that my clean out is 3' above where the campers park and it is 30' away, SS handles it just fine. I use 3 10' pieces of PVC with slip joint connections. We aren't in any hurry so I have never timed how long it takes to clear the tanks. One camper took at least 2 beers, but that was a 50 gallon black tank.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 08-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

weaverville , North Carolina
Foiled again, what is a blue boy?
I've got about 20 feet of rise and 80 feet of distance.
thanks so much
Old 08-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
A Blue Boy is a portable tank. They vary in size. Most people use them for grey water. Especially on the vintage trailers that are not equipped with a grey water tank.
Blue Boy is a brand name. You can find others as well.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #27
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
thanks so much
Portable RV Waste Tank

They come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Believe mine is a 25 gallon. Got it when I had a popup for grey water. I have seen up to 45 gallon range, but would hate to have to handle one that size full. Remember water averages about 8# a gallon. Mine full is too heavy to lift with one person. Three was better. Some of them have hitches so you can tow them to the dump station, easier said than done from what I have observed.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 08-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Quote:
thanks so much
It all comes down to hydrostatic pressure and pressure lose inside the hose you are pumping through. A 20 foot rise will mean that you need to exert a pressure of about 8.5 psi. The smaller the hose the more pressure lose inside the hose. A Flojet Macerator will do what you want to do, I use one under very similar conditions, and actually tested it on a 20 ft lift. to get an acceptable flow rate you may need to go with a larger discharge hose.You can usually find A Flojet on ebay for less than $200. The sewer solution might work but it requires a gallon or more of water for every gallon of waste water that it moves. To pump away 40 gallons of waste water you will put more than 80 gallons into your septic tank. Not exactly an environmentally acceptable situation.