Old 01-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Smile Installation of See Level system in a '06 Bambi 19'

Where do I start? This was a much bigger job than I thought it would be, but all is well that ends well. Of course if I had known where to put the sensors, life would have been a lot easier. Here is a summary of what I found for our 2006 Bambi 19'.

1. Fresh water.... this tank is easy to get to and easy to attach the sensor. It is located under one of the dinette seats. I fished the two sensor wires back to the closet where the wires to the old Micropulse gauge were located. To do this I had to remove the furnace and the kick plate below the bathroom sink.

2. Black tank.... This is easy to get to once one realizes that the tank is underneath the toilet. Just remove the toilet and a the cover over the vent pipe to the black tank and one can easily reach the side of the tank. I cut a corner off the base of the toilet (see pic) which allowed easier access. This tank runs back under the shower almost to the back of the Bambi. In the process of looking for the black tank (before I found it under the toilet), I removed the port side lower rear panel (plastic). You can get to the black tank from here, but why bother? Much easier to access it as described above. I routed the wires forward in back of the kick plate and in back of the furnace (out again) and into the wires conduit going to the old gauge in the closet.

3. Gray tanks.... This was difficult. There does not seem to be a good place to attach the See Level sensor. Do not remove the pan that covers the gray tanks. That is a pain to do and an even bigger pain to put back. And it is not needed. The tank appears to be tapered from the starboard to the port side where the drain is located. There is a removable cover plate on the drain end of the pan that provides access to a decent place for the sensor. However, a "short" See Level sensor must be used since the normal size sensors can only be cut to about 4.5".... you will need one about 4 inches long. Not only is the gray tank tapered, but it is also stepped on the side (see photo). This makes it no better than the drain end for attaching the sensor. The wires for this sensor followed the route of the old sensor which come up through the bottom of the Bambi and into the area adjacent to the black tank. From there they followed the same route to the gauge as the black tank wires.

One unexpected complication of the installation of the gray tank sensor is that I found that the tank inlet fitting (the male fitting that goes into the female outlet of the tank) was broken....split in half. See pic. This may have been due to the fact that it rested on the pan at this point.... so all the weight of the tank was on this point. So I had to replace all of the ABS fittings from the tanks to the dump valve (all 7!). Not all that expensive, but a bit of a pain.

Other points to consider....

1. The hole for the Micropulse gauge was too large for the See Level gauge so I used a black two gang switch (large) plate and removed the center section so the See Level gauge would fit. Looks OK.

2. The see level gauge has four wires....ground (BK), sensor (blue), 12 V (red) and white (pump indicator light). The last one connects to the wire coming out the switch to the water pump. When the pump is on, the light is on. I only used the top two poles of the switch.... not sure what the other one is for.

3. I installed a 10amp fuse in the 12 volt line. They instructions recommend this in case the pump draws more than 7 amps. The pump label says 7.5 amps max.

4. Each sensor has two wires. One is a ground, and I suppose I could have connected it close to the sensor, but I instead I ran two wires up to the gauge and connected the ground there.

5. The sensor wires can be connected together. This is possible since each sensor is designated black, gray or fresh during installation. So the sensor wires from the gray thank connected to the wires from the black tank and then ran to the gauge where they picked up the fresh water sensor wires.

I have yet to check the accuracy of the gauges.....another post to this one. Stay tuned. But I did check the signal strength from each sensor and they all look good.

Hope this helps someone get this job done quicker! I'm sure there was an easier way.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fresh water tank sensor.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	229924   Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet see level.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	229925  

Name:	black tank sensor.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	229926   Click image for larger version

Name:	placement of gray tank sensor.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	229927  

Name:	outside of gray tank.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	229928   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken inlet fitting.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	229929  

Name:	side of gray tank.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	229930   Click image for larger version

Name:	back of see level panel.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	229931  

Name:	installed see level gauge.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	229932  

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Tuned in for your report...

SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Installation continued....

Filled the tanks today and everything seems to work as it should. I can only observe the level in the fresh water tank. I put ~20 gallons in it and it read 88%....just about right.

A few other points I forgot to mention in the original post.

1. I have attached a pic of the back of the gauge... in the closet. The wire cover is in place. Plenty of room for excess wire.

2. See Level recommends spraying sensors that may be exposed to weather with undercoating. I think I will do that for the one on the gray tank.

3. Finished the installation of the screws in the gauge. See pic. Lowes has these black switch covers.

4. They also recommend securing the sensor wires so they do not lay over the sensor. I did that, although it may not be shown in all the sensor pics.

5. They also recommend keeping the face of the sensor 2" away from "metal." Some places in the manual recommend 1" away. This was hard to do for the gray tank since the end plate to the tank cover is only an inch away. They recommended putting rubber on the metal to help alleviate any problem. I did that.... bonded a piece of 1/8" gasket rubber on the cover adjacent to the sensor. It is OK to butt the sensor to metal, just not overlay it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	see level gauge.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	229969   Click image for larger version

Name:	back of panel sealed.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	229970  

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote

bambi, see level, tank sensors