Old 11-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
PS - yours is the second one this has happened to quite recently. I thought it was foolish to recommend before I heard your story - but perhaps it DOES make sense to shut off your water every time you leave the trailer unattended.

Feels like overkill, but compared to a flooded trailer - OUCH not a problem.

Sorry you've had such a rough trip. A fire/flood restoration company can recommend good odor killing chemicals - that they will sell to you - even though they'd prefer the big bucks of doing the work.

Paula

YEP....the few times we have had water to 'hook-up' to.....we didn't.
We fill the FW tank as needed and turn the pump off when sleeping or when the AS is unattended.....a middle of the night flood initiated this habit.

Were you connected the CG sewer line?....was the valve open?

Inland Andy has the door lock fix. PM him for the free 'kit'.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #16
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I thought it was foolish to recommend before I heard your story - but perhaps it DOES make sense to shut off your water every time you leave the trailer unattended.

Feels like overkill, but compared to a flooded trailer - OUCH not a problem.
Paula

Not at all! Turning off the water to your trailer before heading out anywhere for a period of time is cheap insurance. Not only for a potential problem like the black tank overflowing here but also for any other potential leaks throughout the trailer.... fittings & joints become loose over time through travel and there’s always a potential for one to fail causing major headaches when not around to quickly shut off the water source... Also a very good idea - no, necessity, to have a pressure regulator attached in-line on your water hose.

Several years ago, we were at an RV park where a couple came back to their moho after a day sight-seeing. When they opened the door to the bus, water came out. I never learned where the failure occurred but apparently, they had turned the water on full blast at the post and the pressure blew a fitting. Their moho was a Prevost, one known for quality components.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Black Creek , British Columbia
There has to be a logical explanation for this nightmare event. If you can think back to when it happened go through it in step by step detail.

On our 2013 FC 30 in the bathroom, the sink drains into the black tank. I found this out when I requested the plumbing layout drawings from Airstream. The drain connects into the vent pipe and down into the tank.
If your unit is plumbed the same, was one of you using the sink and left the water running?.
Obviously your black drain valve was closed so it didn't come back from the sewer system. We have our grey open and black closed when static unless dumping then it is reversed. Occasionally we fill the grey and dump to clear solids.
If you were not connected to your tank flush system you rule that out.
So we come back to the water supply to the toilet bowl. Have you noticed that the bowl filling when not in use.
There may be something I missed but the water has to get in to flood.

Norrie
Old 11-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Inside Sewage Black Water Spill Nightmare

Just grasping at straws here, but I know our foot pedal to our toilet can be "locked down" meaning we step down on it and it stays down (with flapper open). We do that to fill the black tank to the top (if not already full) when ready to dump the tank. I don't know if it's designed that way or if we have a faulty foot pedal - I worry that someday, it might never close. The dealer told us (when buying new) to slide our foot off the pedal very fast so it would close.

But I'm wondering if it's possible the pedal got semi-stuck in the open position and filled the black tank but left enough of the flapper open so it overflowed into the trailer?

The only problem with this theory is that I imagine it would be hard for you not to notice the water was still running (either by sight or sound) - but anything is possible I guess.

Sorry about the mess and the broken window. All repairable but I think nightmare is a good word for this one! Good luck!!
Old 11-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I am not going to guess about the tank issue but as for the lock, join the club. I reported this when we were on a 6 week trip and got numerous responses about the same issue. I carry spare keys in the truck but it was locked and my keys were in the trailer. I had taken the dog for a walk and fortunately my wife was still asleep in the trailer. I have taped another spare key in the bumper compartment. If we are gone the deadbolt is also closed so I have not compromised security.
Larry
Old 11-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Naples , New York
toilet overflow

After a toilet overflow from our drain ball not closing completely, we added a 90 degree ball valve to the toilet. When we use the toilet we open the valve. After using it we close the valve. That way we insure there will be no more overflows. The ball valve handle is large enough to find easily in the dark.

good luck.
Larry
Old 11-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
This is scary! I think it's everyone's worst nightmare. Well, it's mine anyway.

Good Luck to you, I hope you figure out what happened.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #22
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I'm suggesting this is an issue bigger than you can handle. Call your insurance company! They deal with this stuff!
Old 11-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Step one: door key wired somewhere out of site.

Step two: water is always "off" at the spigot if you are going to be gone more than a few minutes (I learned this the hard way). I even go so far as to turn the water off while sleeping if we don't have sewer hookups (probably paranoia but you will hear the pump running if you have a drip or a leak...).

Lots of scrubbing ahead and liberal use of bacteria/enzyme product to neutralize odor.

Step three: softly chant "RV'ing is fun, RV'ing is fun"

Step 4: repeat step three

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We have a bolted down key holder in an accessible spot that just needs a code to open. No clue where son bought it, but it's saved my butt a few times😄😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #25
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I'm reading all these posts....
Sewage has filtered down through your insulation pooling in the belly pan and tank trays....
No amount of scrubbing, enzyme treatments or sloshing is going to clean that up, very icky for you now and really dastardly for the next owner. Your bottom has to come down, insulation removed and replaced, everything sanitized, then replaced... This is really the only way!

If you over flowed the bowl, it would not be that big a deal,
It sounds like you pressurized the black tank, forced the effluent into the bowl through the flapper valve then it all went south from there. This is a very big deal!
It's going to stink like crap forever unless dealt with by a very unfortunate process.
Stink is stink!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Before you rip apart your trailer consider that the effluent, while certainly unpleasant, isn't radioactive or even particularly toxic ( consider the source). Get the inside dried out, drill some holes in the belly pan and see if you have any liquid left (unlikely as the belly pan isn't watertight, at least on mine). Whatever remains should dry out and, believe it or not, desiccate to a dry powder-like coating.

Until then, well, you will enjoy an olfactory reminder now and then but I am pretty sure that there will be no noticeable odor in a fairly short time.

When you have the time, then maybe drop the belly pan and replace all the insulation and clean up.

My two cents,

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Trade it in at a far away dealer.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Cool , California
Yikes, what a horrible confluence of events. Nightmare, indeed.

Something that stuck with me when reading the "Newbies" guide when we first bought our AS was a brief comment about always making sure you have keys on your person when exiting the trailer in case of the rare, but possible, lockout. I do this religiously. Keys hang right by the door and I always grab them on my way out if the door is going to be shut behind me, regardless of how brief a time I will be outside.

This only solves the lockout problem, not the more heinous issue of sewage released into your trailer. Holy cow. Please keep us posted if you determine the cause. I hope your insurance covers the clean-up.

Good luck!