Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Surf City , New Jersey
indicator not working

black tank indicator all of a sudden stopped working. Always reading 0
I have been given two suggestions.
1. put ice cubes in the blank tank and take the trailer out for a ride
2. fill it with hot water and some liquid dish detergent Let it sit overnight (same with gray tank) Then have the honey truck pump it out. Maybe flush it out again with a second filling.

any ideas are welcome.
thanks
weber.roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
My trailer is much older and no doubt has a different system - but it has never worked properly, same with the trailer I had before!

I did think that the newer ones are supposed to be much better.

I haven't heard much success with the ice cube idea but couldn't hurt to try I suppose!

In our case I have just learned over the years net to even bother with the tank monitors - they are not a whole lot of use for anything.

In our case we are almost always on full hookups anyway so it is not a problem.

The odd time we are not on full hookups, it has never been more than a week and we have never really run into any issues.

You can tell the black tank level just by looking in the toilet! In any case, I know we can go a month without filling the black tank.

We don't use much fresh water because we carry drinking water separately, and use CG showers when we don't have hookups, so I have never really been concerned about fresh water level - we have never run out.

As for gray water, I have quite a few tricks to avoid filling it when we are not on full hookups, I think it has happened once or maybe twice in eight years - when gray water backs up into the shower pan, the gray tank s full and time to do something!

So I just don't bother at all with my useless tank monitors!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Exclamation Do Ice Cubes in the RV Black Tank Really Work? NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weber.roger View Post
Here is a good video by the Fit RV that demonstrates that using ice cubes in the black tank is an urban myth and does not work to clean out the tank.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
How old is your Airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weber.roger View Post
2. fill it with hot water and some liquid dish detergent Let it sit overnight (same with gray tank) Then have the honey truck pump it out. Maybe flush it out again with a second filling.

any ideas are welcome.
thanks
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote