Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Actually, I've ordered a Nature's Head composting toilet and arranged to have it installed. The black & gray tanks will be joined, the urine (which is sterile) piped into the combined tank which will have a single valve for emptying. Work is scheduled to be done early October. I look forward to not have to wonder where I'll be finding a dump station.

Thanks for that idea. I knew that urine was sterile, but didn't know the composting heads could be plumbed that way. I'll have to do some more reading. We are not full timers; the trailer spends a lot of time in storage. I wonder about the use of a composting head in that scenario.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Hook trailer to a blueboy tank with a number of 1/4" holes on the bottom and it never seems to fill up. I've never done this but seen it done a few times.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Al and Missy -> Watch these videos.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
I'm wondering if there is a problem with our gray tank. Our shower backed up after 24 hours camping this past weekend. We did do a lot of dishes, and we both took a shower. Mine was more generous than hers. Definitely not trying to conserve any water, but still surprised. Our 2007 25FB is supposed to have a 39gal gray tank iirc.

The gray tank lasted at least three days when we pulled our Keystone trailer to Banff a couple years ago.

Going to Colorado in a few weeks don't think we'll have hookups for the entire trip. Time to get creative.
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
We’ve filled up ours in 3 days easy of not paying attention at a full hookup site, but went 6.5 days and just about (90%) filled it up last week, key was paper plates where possible, real low water navy showers (2 each). Dump leftover coffee, rinse coffee pot etc into black water tank. Same size tank.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Mr Merk,
I think doing dishes uses a lot more water than showering.

To minimize water for dishes, here is my methodology:

1-Leave no food on anything before you wash it. Wipe down all silverware, and dishes, bowls, etc with paper towels. Get a food scraper or use a rubber spatula to squeegee off the sides of things like bowls.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2-Do dishes only 2x a day. After breakfast, after dinner. During the day wipe off anything used and put in a dishpan in the sink.
3-When water is limited use paper plates and paper bowls.
4-When washing dishes, put 1 inch of hot water and dish soap in the dishpan. Wash all items removing each item as you wash it. When rinsing, run hot water in a very thin stream and turn off between each item. Collect all this water in the dish pan. I can usually wash and rinse all items and there is maybe 3 inches of water or less when I am finished.
5-BIG Tip-If you tend to have more black tank capacity than gray, you can then put your dishwater down the toilet. Don't just dump it in. For 2 important reasons. 1-it can slosh on the floor and be messy. 2-phantom spoons can linger in the soapy water and now you just dumped a spoon down your toilet into your black tank. I use a measuring cup with a spout to pour the dishwater down the toilet. You could also use a campground dishwashing sink if available to dump the water out.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:49 AM   #47
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Other method for washing dishes:

1) Paper plates / glasses / plastic knives, forks spoons.

2) Water for coffee boils in a dedicated pot that simply is emptied.

3) Coffee is done with a drip system, main pot is simply rinsed.

Breakfast and lunch "wash-up" involves the garbage bag. ( = no soap involved)

4) Aluminum foil for potatoes and veg at dinner

Wash-up for dinner involves one pan.

Is this eco friendly? Most certainly not. The plastic "silverware" is the big offender. Feel free to substitute for it. Silverware wash-up would be once a day with some soap and rinse in a pot of boiling water. (about a quart for soap and same for the rinse).

Total water per day for dishes maybe a gallon or two. Does rinse water (which is just clean water) go in the gray tank? ..... hmmm ..... If you showered outside .... hmmm .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Other method for washing dishes:

1) Paper plates / glasses / plastic knives, forks spoons.

2) Water for coffee boils in a dedicated pot that simply is emptied.

3) Coffee is done with a drip system, main pot is simply rinsed.

Breakfast and lunch "wash-up" involves the garbage bag. ( = no soap involved)

4) Aluminum foil for potatoes and veg at dinner

Wash-up for dinner involves one pan.

Is this eco friendly? Most certainly not. The plastic "silverware" is the big offender. Feel free to substitute for it. Silverware wash-up would be once a day with some soap and rinse in a pot of boiling water. (about a quart for soap and same for the rinse).

Total water per day for dishes maybe a gallon or two. Does rinse water (which is just clean water) go in the gray tank? ..... hmmm ..... If you showered outside .... hmmm .....

Bob
Good advice. One of my biggest problems is the French Press Coffee. So easy to make but then I find myself with this pitcher of coffee grounds that needs to be dumped and rinsed. I shake what I can out in the trash. I should probably just rinse outside with the outdoor shower.
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #49
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post
Good advice. One of my biggest problems is the French Press Coffee. So easy to make but then I find myself with this pitcher of coffee grounds that needs to be dumped and rinsed. I shake what I can out in the trash. I should probably just rinse outside with the outdoor shower.
Hi

We settled into the Melita drip system for camping many decades ago (back when we were in tents). The grounds all say in the filter paper. It drips "dry" into the pot. When all is done, the paper folds up around the grounds to throw them away. The rest of the system is just a quick rinse to clean it up. You never have coffee boiling in the setup so no "burnt remains" to scrub off ....

About the only change over the years has been going from the (fragile) glass pot to a (more expensive) stainless steel / insulated pot. The insulation is good enough that we can do a pot early and drink it all morning.

Here at home, the setup is very different. However hauling a Jura Z6 plus milk caddy along in the AS .... not going to happen

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #50

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Merk View Post

I had the same issue with a French Press, found a great solution - purchased the AeroPress. I find the coffee even better! It’s available through Amazon.

AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker - Quickly Makes Delicious Coffee Without Bitterness - 1 to 3 Cups Per Pressing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047BIWSK..._Q47sFb9HJDP4H
Spudnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:00 PM   #51

1966 24' Tradewind
Allendale , Michigan
Hi were did you get your holding tanks from?
thanks and great work!
PCcow is offline   Reply With Quote