Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
In case GREY MATTERS...get it???

Have a 1970 AS without (as I have learned after purchase, not standard) Where would I install one? Can I install from below or above? What size should I get? Do I really need one? Can it just drain on the ground? Wondering???
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
That 1970 has not had one all this time.

On the ground....it is a "no-no" is parks.

They make a portable (from RV to dump-station) unit
ya pull behind your tow vehicle.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Greg N Send a message via Yahoo to Greg N
Its against the law in many states to dump grey water on the ground...Your tlr. had to have had one at one time...
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
Our '73 Tradewind doesn't have one, and never did. The grey water has a bypass that drains it out the same outlet as the black water, after the knife valve coming from the black tank. Our plan is to get a 15 gal portable tank to connect there while set up, because it will be manageable to get into the back of the pickup after full, and thus not have to haul it around to dump. It really is nothing extra we will have to get because I want one anyway to take the stress off of the black tank for longer stays.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Gray tanks.

Airstream "did not" install gray tanks in any model, until the 1974 model year.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Live with it.

Get a "Blue Boy". a short dedicated hose and a dump cap with the hose connector built in. You will get used to "living" with the set up. Also get a longer, dedicated, hose for those time when you can drain the grey out and away. It really is not a big deal.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Semi related to thread...

California just switched their position on grey water dumping. It is now allowed under much looser guidelines than previously. The following is copied in part from an email I received in July from our building official.
Dave

"Yesterday the Building Standards Commission voted to pass the new California greywater code (Chapter 16 in the CA Plumbing Code).

This was passed as an emergency measure due to the drought and water shortages faced in the state.

Importantly, the CA department of Public Health spoke in full support of the code, citing water shortages and degrading quality of fresh water being a much greater health concern than any potential issue with greywater.

Summary of the new code (as it's written now) *no permit needed for a washing machine system if the system followed health and safety guidelines outlined in the code *no permit for a single fixture (one shower) if guidelines are followed *mulch basins allowed (instead of gravel).
*depth of discharge is 2 inches under mulch (it used to be 9" under dirt)
Other systems classified as “simple” and “complex” based on the quantity, will require plans and permits. "
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We use a bluetote, the 22 gallon model, for dispensing of our gray and black water when we stay at parks that don't have hookups. It's got wheels and a long handle with a loop on the end you can use for towing the tote to the dump. I made a very short (1 ft disposal hose) to use when dumping into the bluetote.

When I boondock, I dump the gray water into the ground using a long garden hose.

Eventually, I'll have a graywater tank installed, but that's a low priority right now. Cost is what's stopping me now. A bluetote is about 130 bucks. Retrofitting a gray tank and rerouting the gray plumbing will cost about 1500-2000 bucks.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS

Will a grey tank work in the space before the black?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post

Will a grey tank work in the space before the black?
Yes, you could add that tank, but not before you make the modification that is in the drawing I previously posted.

Unless you make the mod, you will have rear end separation, guaranteed.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Thank You, Andy!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
No gray tank is definitely a pain

And trying to deploy the "blue boy" got us kicked out of California state park. (here's the long running saga) http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post386938

so they are not really that good of a solution. Besides, they are heavy, awkward and aside from the entertainment value of 'blue boy races' at Vintage rallies and watching folks try to dump them without spilling them everywhere, they are the bane of vintage rigs.

I wish there were an easy inexpensive fix for my '72 Safari. I mean personally, I don't see that letting the gray water drain on the ground is any big deal. But I realize that is a totally un-politically correct thing to say.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I bought the thetford portable tank with everything built-in. It's really easy to use SmartTote Portable Tanks

A couple days after I ordered it, I happened to search "portable tank" in my local Cragislist. Figures, same one I just ordered for sale 75% less in my town - said it had been used twice!!!!!!! Arrrrrrrr Check craigslist!
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote