Old 08-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I need your suggestions, O wise ones... Repair or Replace?

Attached are the pics of my fiberglass black tank. It was leaking right at the plastic “glassed on” Thetford fitting (broke at a bottom corner). It then rusted out the metal holding tank (I can get a new one made for about $250 out the door) My original Thetford seemed to work fine, but of course I’d replace the seals. My trailer had a cast aluminum elbow that clamped onto the end of this fitting and then had a rubber union that ran out to a Valterra valve that exited out the side of the side of the bumper. It seemed like a pretty sweet setup, though I’d probably need a new seal for that elbow. That setup was not supported, so it may have been what cracked the fitting.

Here’s are my thoughts. I don’t want to redo this in 5 years.

1. I can cut and refiberglass the Thedford mounting plate, then replace the Thetford valve, or the seals. (the weird part on mine is that the wye actually has a slight upward bend in it.) I can get the glassed plast from VTS.
2. I could glass on a Valtera valve mounting plate.

3. I can install a modern black tank with a bottom exit, and get that set up for a future install of 2 tandem gray water tanks.

Option 3 seems like a pretty nice option. My only thought on that is that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of clearance under the trailer to have a 90 degree elbow mounted to the bottom of the tank. There doesn’t seem to be any way to run it horizontally as it hits against the frame rails. By the way, the ABS black tanks – do they hang by that flange instead of being put inside a metal pan like the original?

robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
oops, forgot the pics

Here's my valve setup. Any thought to re-using the elbows and other plastic pieces here if I replace the valve?

Any reason Thetford valve cost 3x Valterra?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0072.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	194213  
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote