Old 12-02-2018, 11:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
How often should I replace sewer hose?

Do you all wait until you have a problem with your sewer hose, and then buy a new one....OR....do you periodically buy a new sewer hose as a preventative measure?

Our hoses are 1 year old. They aren't cracked or leaking or anything, but I'm wondering if I should replace them anyways. We've spent about 7 months total in our trailer, so they've gotten a lot of use.

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I replaced my first one after about three years and maybe 200 nights camping. No problem with the hose itself, but I was getting a minor leak at the connection to the trailer, and multiple new gaskets did not help.

The new hose is not perfect either.

SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Never.

Hi, my first answer is never. Now I will tell you my story. On the very first camp ground, with my brand new trailer, The cheap junk sewer hose that came with it was too short. I went to the nearest RV dealer and bought a nice 15'er. I used this for several years with no problems at all. We were going to spend at least a week or two camping in a friend's driveway. To use her clean out to drain our tanks, I needed about 45' of sewer hose. That is when I bought a 20' Dominator kit and three extra hoses. Each hose expands to 10' so I had at total of 50' of sewer hose. The good part is that each 10' hose collapses down to 3'. With all of my hoses collapsed, I can store four of them in my bumper storage compartment and the last one fits in the sewer hose tube mounted under my trailer. The Dominator hoses are easy to work with and very durable. I don't see any other reason to change hoses again.

Note: in most camp grounds, I only need one ten foot hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dominator 20' sewer hose kit.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	329027  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

My experience is that what goes through the hose is not a factor. In my opinion the need to replace issues are in this order...1) physical abuse from kinking or stepping on it. 2) UV rays degrading the hose and finally, 3) worn out traditional rubber gaskets that have to twist and against each other and start to leak.I bought a Waste Master valve and hose kit. I took a little time to glue on the positive latch connector but it now works like a charm.
jrkott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
We store our sewer hose in the tube under the trailer. We have two 10' sections in the tube. Normally only use one of them. The only time we have had to replace a hose is due to the cap on the tube coming loose during travel and the hose coming out and dragging on the ground (didn't loose it), just got some holes in it. One of our hoses is 13 years old.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Here is my method: I have two under belly storage tubes and keep different hoses in each.

Hose #1: Use for dumping at dump stations. I use a cheap hose at the dump station and donít worry that it might get a couple of pin hole leaks in it. Replace it when needed.

Hose #2: A high quality Rhinoflex hose for full hookups with an extra section if needed. Iím careful not to let this one drag on the ground and use an elevated holder to slope the hose to the dump point. This year I had to get new gaskets, but the hoses are doing well.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
We never replaced any of our hoses...keep clean and store properly. We always thought the sewer hoses on our first 3-25' AS's did not fit into the storage tube, since the coupling heads were too big on the Rhino hoses we used; so we stored in the bumper storage....then we got the new 28' couple years ago and the "starter kit" came with a "Dominator" brand including 2-10' hose kit. Both hoses fit fine in the sewer hose storage, and I store a "clear" 90 deg. sewer connection in the bumper storage with my gloves and my lego leveling blocks...I never did replace our original hoses ...I think if you get a good quality hose, they should last many years. By the way, the Rhino's would have fit, I found out later, if I had filed the connection nubs down a bit...dahh…
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We purchased Rhino sewer hoses when we got bought the trailers and discarded the really cheap dealer provided stuff. The sewer related equipment has resided in the bumper storage areas of both trailers since the equipment did not fit in the black tube provided by Airstream. We have cut the black storage tube on both trailers and added a center section and installed them at an angle due to the longer length required to store our flag poles in them under the trailer (five in the Classic and three in the 23D).

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Thanks everyone.

Something I read recently, by someone reputable in the industry, said to replace your sewer hose every 3-6 months! I thought that sounded a bit over the top!!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I bought a very nice hose ($$$) and regretted it.
It's the Thetford Titan....green fittings and a hose that's supposed to "click" open and closed. Opened fine, won't close, so I'm stuffing a 15' hose that won't collapse into the bumper.
It would be great for someone who's living in a park and leaving it attached month after month. Me, not so much.

OBTW, let me pass along a tip which works for me. Take a tube sock and fill it with fine gravel, secure it with a cable tie and insert it into the other tube sock and secure also. Now you have a very flexible "sand bag" to toss over the hose fitting where it goes into the ground. Lays on anything, cheap, easy to store, won't jump around while dumping.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The problem with most inexpensive hoses is the wire coil inside. No matter how tight you make the hose clamp, there's always a tiny leak where the wire exits under the hose clamp.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #12
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I keep three on hand at all times. I have a primary (10ft) and a secondary (10ft). I use the primary for all my 10ft or less uses. Once that shows a problem, I throw it away, the my secondary becomes my primary and my third (10ft) becomes my secondary. Then I buy another as my new third. Repeat...

Hard to say how long it will last due to usage, terrain, and so many other factors.
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
WBCCI # 23456

2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
No rules. When they crack, they leak. Then you can feel good about buying a new one.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
I keep three on hand at all times. I have a primary (10ft) and a secondary (10ft). I use the primary for all my 10ft or less uses. Once that shows a problem, I throw it away, the my secondary becomes my primary and my third (10ft) becomes my secondary. Then I buy another as my new third. Repeat...

Hard to say how long it will last due to usage, terrain, and so many other factors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
No rules. When they crack, they leak. Then you can feel good about buying a new one.
What you all said....this is my thought as well. Will carry on as planned. Thx again.