Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Hey Aage,

Thanks for that! There certainly is a cap in the main stack in the basement and I'd never noticed it (black on black in a very dark area). If it was backed up for any reason I'm not sure that I'd be the one to remove the cap because there would be a waterfall of brown stuff, but I guess it would be ok for routinely cleaning the sewer when not backed up.
For that very same reason, do NOT be tempted to run it as an alternative input for your trailer's 'output'. Your cleanout is below grade, and as the saying goes, 'things' run down hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
There is an alarming trend in our sub-division, though, of earth removal machines descending on people's front yards and digging out two metres depth of dirt between house and road to get at the sewer pipe. It tends to happen in spring so I wonder if sewers have collapsed over the winter. We don't get cold enough for the frost to go that deep but this year I've seen half a dozen dig operations in the area. If that ever happens to me then I will get them to add a small arm running to my driveway with a cap slightly above ground level. My slinky might not reach from the trailer's normal parking position but the Sewer Solution would.

Domestic plumbing tips on the Forum, who'd have thunk it?

Edit: The Sewer Solution would never reach into the basement so the cleanout cap stays closed!
I highly recommend that you don't add that 'arm'. In this climate, Things That Can Freeze are best off below the 4-foot deep frost line, whether or not you use them in the winter. That's why you have an indoor cleanout after all.

If your neighbourhood is like mine (home built in the '60s) anything can happen to the sewer lines. I have a neighbour that had his dug up last fall, and they even dug out down to the street box, something like three metres deep.

And remember, the city only pays for service to your lot line, so be thankful they haven't come knocking at your door...

Anyway, let's get back on topic.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My reason for studying history is to learn from other people's mistakes and successes.
"Learn from the mistakes others make, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!"

The forums are educating me, not only with the mistakes, but also with all the successes! I'm reading and getting an RV education.

1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
...>snip<....... Can sewage get back flushed into the hose? Does everyone carry a hose specific for this task?

Thanks

Kelvin
There is a stop-check valve as pointed out, but those who have the flush option carry a dedicated gray water hose for that purpose so they are not using the same hose for flushing as that used to deliver fresh water to the rig.

We carry the grey water hose and two 25' fresh water hoses just in case we need the extra length when hooking up to city water... like when the water source is on the wrong side of the campsite, etc.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
I must be alone on this.. but we do not utilize our trailer for the more serious business. Ie, #2. We also do not use chemicals or enzymes. We so far have not had any issues with smell at all. We typically use our trailer for a week or 5 days at a time, but have traveled as long as a month and lived in it for the first 2 months when we moved to NC. The black tank is for the toilet only, and i believe is only 6 or 8 gal. i think theres enough water in there to keep the ammonia smell under wraps...
Old 04-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

I have heard that.....

When you are adding Ridex to your septic tank, don't do it via the toilet. Supposedly the enzymes can eat the wax ring. ( RVs don't use wax rings )
An RV guru guy ( Phed's Poop Sheet..... I think ) recommended Ridex. I don't always use Ridex in my trailer, always in my house, so it is always available to me. I haven't had a problem. I often use one of the green colored liquid enzyme treatments.
Heck, most of the drain pipes in my house are plastic. To be honest, I don't know if Ridex is safe on PVC.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #34
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Cyclone plumbing vent by Camco. and an emzine additive are the two things one should have to help control the inevitable aromas that lurk in the head. I always empty the holding tanks prior to travelling home and I always start out with full fresh water tanks. I also have the Airstream ready to roll at a moments notice. You know, hurricanes, tornados, floods, perhaps a misunderstood utterance at an inappropriate time. I also have a contraption by Flow-jet that guarantees you will end up with pool your shoes. It's a macerator pump. In a pinch, you might be able to deliver something to a receptacle at home via an enemies garden hose. Jim
Old 04-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #35
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Should that be "enzyme" that you are trying to spell. Why, yes. Thank you.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #36
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
"Pool your shoes" . Try "poo on" and go to bed.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
This is what I bought last week for the black tank
Item
It's 100% biodegradeable.
I usually use Thetford Aquakem in my previous Casita. I usually get the 6 pack bottles and for the 15 gallon Casita tank a 1/3 of a bottle worked well for weekend and longer trips.
Aqua-Kem Liquid, Toss Ins and Dri

We also use 1 ply toilet tissue instead of the RV toilet tissue. This seems to break down pretty good. No sure what the RV toilet tissue advantage is unless its more like a 2 ply and more comfortable but still breaks down fast.

I found this on youTube about RV toilet paper
Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #38
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Put your TP in a jar of water & shake a little, let sit overnight, if good it will almost dissolve completely.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #39
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Speaking of learning from other people's mistakes, I might mention ours.

On a recent week-long stay in Death Valley NP we monitored the waste-water tank frequently. Green light on the diagnostic, no problem, so we thought. We actually had one of the few sites with a sewer hook-up (Furnace Creek) but our sanitary engineer (Len) doesn't always hook up to the sewer immediately, on the theory that the tank is more likely to empty itself well if there's a big whoosh of waste water all at once, rather than just a bit at a time.

The problem was that the diagnostic light went from green to red in no time flat. I don't know how long it went to amber, but we missed it entirely. Moreover, we were using some non-RV friendly TP by mistake, which tended to clog up. I (Jeanne) first realized we had a waste tank overload when smelly brown water came up several inches through the floor drain in our wet bath. Thankfully the rim by the floor was high enough to contain it....

I am supremely grateful that we actually had the sewer hookup to drain the tank then and there, because if we had to haul the Bambi to the sani-dump, there is no telling what might have sloshed into the main part of the trailer. I am not supremely grateful that I was the one on my hands and knees cleaning up brown icky water from the loo because my gag reflex is stronger than Len's.

We didn't have one of those blue biffy boxes on wheels, but that will be our next purchase at Camping World. Hopefully we will never have to use it, but it can ride in the back of the truck unused, for all I care, merely as insurance.

Ever since that experience, I haven't felt great about loading up the waste water tank. It's more the thought of being inside our sweet little Airstream trying to have a nice camping experience while below us are gallons of icky sewage.

Does anyone here have experience with composting toilets in their AS? (And please, not the ones with the separate urine bottles....)

BTW, there are "green" chemicals on the market but I can't say whether they are truly environmentally friendly. We use them and they do keep down any odour. And no, a hike to the nearest restroom at 3:00 am is not an option for a woman of a certain age.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #40
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
p.s. Kelvin, if it's a sloshing effect you want on the road, I suggest dumping your sewage pronto, and then putting a little clean water with a small amount of detergent or RV chemical into the tank for your drive home.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #41
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have run into the grey water " overflow" also. We've never reached capacity in the black tank but the grey is another matter. We try to manage it to some extent by washing dishes using a dishpan which can be emptied into the bowl when full. Saves a little from going into the grey tank. We do this when we are out a few days without any hookups. It's only overflowed one time. In that emergent situation I capped my discharge and opened the grey valve first then opened the black valve and let the 2 tanks balance their levels. Then in the morning I took the trailer to the dump station. Beware, though, when doing this you will be getting a bit of a dump when you remove the cap to put the hose on so watch your feet.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #42
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
We have run into the grey water " overflow" also. We've never reached capacity in the black tank but the grey is another matter. We try to manage it to some extent by washing dishes using a dishpan which can be emptied into the bowl when full. Saves a little from going into the grey tank. We do this when we are out a few days without any hookups. It's only overflowed one time. In that emergent situation I capped my discharge and opened the grey valve first then opened the black valve and let the 2 tanks balance their levels. Then in the morning I took the trailer to the dump station. Beware, though, when doing this you will be getting a bit of a dump when you remove the cap to put the hose on so watch your feet.
Good one. Thanks for the plan b tip.