Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
How often do I need to dump?

Maybe a silly question. My Airstream is in storage while I do some repairs to her. I have a full freshwater tank right now, and since there is no head at the shop, spending a whole day there working on the weekend means I'll eventually end up using the head in the Airstream.

Aside from the obvious of emptying the black/grey tanks when they are full, is it ok if I only empty it it out say every 30 days or so?

Or is there some rule that says you shouldn't go past two weeks leaving stuff in your tanks? Can't really find anything beyond emptying when full.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Just use a 5gal bucket with cat litter in it.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
As far as I know there's nothing wrong with leaving the black tank 'in use' as long as there is a good amount of liquid in it. If it dried out you could end up with trouble.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
How often do I need to dump?

I would pre-fill the black tank with some water ....4-5 good flushes if you plan on using it for solids, otherwise you should be fine. Also replenish the deodorizing packets every 7-10 days

Somewhat related....
After dumping at one location and before I leave for the next I'll flush 4-5 full bowls into the black tank and then send in a packet. While I'm traveling the water will slosh around and clean any residue left.
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I wouldn't use it at all sitting still in a metal storage unit in Florida. Maybe a Porta-Potti and take it with you to empty every day.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
How often you need to dump depends on how often you need to dump.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
How often you need to dump depends on how often you need to dump.
Deep, man! :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
During repairs, indoors? Get a porta potty!!! There should be plenty in the bigboxstores with huntin seezon upon us.

You could put it in the AS bathroom area for some privacy.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
When you are working in your trailer and your eyes start to burn it is time to dump.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Astronauts use depends, truckers use wide neck bottle AS and most others designed better black water tankage than grey. If you are the only one using and can keep it to one flush, you should be fine for 30 days, if it is stored outdoors, might be a problem in a closed space unless it is well ventilated.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
No doubt you can store it, but should you?
If you use the head and dump the tank only every 30 days in the south where the weather is warm, you are inviting flies down the vent, maggots growing the tank, and hatchlings finding their way into the trailer when the dump blade opens. And that moisture attracts roaches, water bugs, ants, etc, etc. The bugs attract lizards and tree frogs. They all want in and the stuff in the black tank is a picnic.

I would not, but if you decide to use it, also use a good tank treatment that will keep the varmints out and odor under control!

I'm in mid FL 3-5 months per year. 4-5 days is long as I go between dumps.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Um.. indoor storage, fantastic fans running, storage has exhaust fans in ceiling running every time I've been there.

I'll take the different opinions under advisement.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The black tank is vented out the top of the Airstream, it's going to stink inside the storage unit and you don't want that to dwell, perhaps for a long time, in your Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
When we bought our trailer, it was in Mississippi. The PO's had owned it for a couple of years and never used the systems. The fresh tank was full so we emptied it before leaving MS. In the disassembly process, we discovered the black tank was also full. When I drained it, no odor, just dark brown liquid. It had been there a LOOONG time! Grass grew well in that spot for the summer....
SO, if you leave it long enough it will "compost" for you.
BTW, I wouldn't leave the fresh water tank full for a long period. Our fresh water tank was green when we removed it. Algae.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would not poop in it more than you have to. If you put the sewer treatment stuff in there, it will help with the odor. Some of the newer trailers had 50 gal black and gray water tanks and at least 50 gal of fresh water. You would have to poop a lot of fill that up. Solids in the black tank are what you don't want too much of because they are hard to get out of there when it is time to dump. We use ours to pee in and try not to do number 2 in there unless we have to. It makes for much less smelly a trip not to mention the dreaded trip to the dump station.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm just continually amazed at the people I meet who don't want to use their facilities. It's there to be used. If you keep enough liquid in it, it will be fine until the next dump station visit - when you take it out of storage just hit a dump station at the beginning of your trip, empty it, put some water back in and add some ice, and the tank will be scrubbed clean again by the time you set up to camp.

If it is actually stored in an enclosed building, then I would agree, you will probably smell odors from the vent, but otherwise, I think it is a well designed system, why not use it?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I used my Airstream as a day-time hideaway when our house was being re-modeled and by necessity, I had to use the facilities. The black tank had plenty of water in it and I use a enzyme-based black tank smell control product. It was good for about three weeks before the odor started to permeate the trailer, even with repeated applications of the control product. We have no dump facilities nearby so I hitched up and went to the nearest Provincial Park. $12 to get in but I could dump and flush to my heart's content and spend the day there walking the dog!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I don't understand how the smell permeates. I just spent the whole summer puting in custom gray and black tanks I built (I've tested it all, but the wheels aren't on yet to go anywhere). The system is basically airtight, with the only way for any air to leave the system is through the vent stack outside through the roof and when the flush valve is pressed (and that can hold water all day long in the bowl). Other than at flush, I can't see how any smell could get out. I can kind of see maybe with the original system my trailer had - it had a one way valve that I'm sure was dry rotted inside, but other than that, how does the smell get in the trailer?

Rob
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Clorox works quite well and it evaporates after it does its job....

It is also fairly cheap.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I don't understand how the smell permeates. I just spent the whole summer puting in custom gray and black tanks I built (I've tested it all, but the wheels aren't on yet to go anywhere). The system is basically airtight, with the only way for any air to leave the system is through the vent stack outside through the roof and when the flush valve is pressed (and that can hold water all day long in the bowl). Other than at flush, I can't see how any smell could get out. I can kind of see maybe with the original system my trailer had - it had a one way valve that I'm sure was dry rotted inside, but other than that, how does the smell get in the trailer?

Rob
At a guess I'd say through the toilet sink waste pipe, which is connected to the black tank. I'm sure there's some kind of valve down there but it probably isn't very air tight.

In my case it wasn't an awful smell but it was just there in the background. Dumped, flushed and re-applied the enzyme stuff and all was well again.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote